Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Another Timing Chain Question?

HammerDown

Corvette
1981 White/ Red int.
In another thread I had mentioned I (thought) my 81 Vette w/124,000 miles STILL had the OE nylon gear and chain in it.
WRONG...
Apparently sometime ago maybe 10-15 years (when messing around w/a cam change) I did in fact install a new steel gear and chain...the top gear is stamped GM it is a double row but NOT a roller.

I didn't keep any records of this work :ugh but...At aprox 2-4000 miles a year x 15 years there's maybe 60,000 miles on this chain...it does not have much play maybe 3/16", and I can't say it's sloppy at all. Side deflection is almost zero.

Question...should I run it?
How many miles should a non roller double chain go?

Thanks for any feedback.

Believe it or not, a timing chain is DESIGNED to be run with slack in it.

I know, a lot of you folks will say: OH NO!!!

But, the truth of the matter is it's OK to have slack (play) in your chain.

If you have almost nothing, you are in good shape.

I have seen chains go over 200,000 miles.

All depends on regular maintenance.

SAVE THE :w

a timing chain will always have slack but too much slack is not good, the timing will be erratic with it. They sure snake around like crazy on a running motor even if the chain is tight so imagine what happens if you have a sloppy chain. Distribution sets are cheap, get a fresh one while you are at it, no reason to not do it.

Yeah, on second thought, you did the hard part. Put a new one on, just to be on the safe side.

Agreed. You're already there. And, what, $40-$60 for peace of mind? May as well go true roller while you're at it.

You can always use the old one on some other "salvage" project. I frequently buy and fix up older cars, and, depending on desire, some of them get the older spare parts that are still good.

Rick
:gap

Well I installed a NEW timing set...I can honestly say after I put the new gear/chain on it almost had as much play (not much) as the one I took off!

As mentioned, I did it for peace of mind because I though I still had the OE Nylon Gear set on the car. As it turned out I had no records of the change over some 10+ years ago. Chances are the chain I took of was fine and good for A LOT more use.

Soooo I went with another .200 roller made by SA Gear. Looks identical as the rouble roller GM stamped Gear set I took off.
Thanks for all the feedback...I'll sleep better tonight...and YES I did make a record this time!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom