Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Another tps question

PAULIE B

Corvette
2007 sliver, 02 sold ,87 sold
Another TPS is out. That's the third one. I replaced them when I changed the tires. Less than year! I still have two more left from the original set I took off. Was I wrong not to buy OEM in the first place? Got them on ebay for $ 172.00. Is there a way to reprogram them or they are garbage. Where should I buy them next?
Paul:w

Try Gene at gmpartshouse.com. I've had good experiences with him with each of
the 5 or 6 times I've dealt with him. Original GM replacement parts.
Andy :w

Another TPS is out... Was I wrong not to buy OEM in the first place? Got them on ebay for $ 172.00. Is there a way to reprogram them or they are garbage...?

Can't put my finger on the thread where it appears at the moment, so perhaps I'm not recalling it correctly...? But I seem to remember reading that one should only use the OEM tire pressure sensors.

Either way, I don't think there's any way to recover the sensor itself, if it's gone bad; they all have a finite lifetime, even the OEM ones. You can try to reprogram the TPMS to see if the sensor just dropped contact with the system. For that, you'll just need a reasonably strong magnet (I just use a transmission pan magnet) for use as the "J 41760 Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) System Programming Tool". Alternatively, most tire-change places (e.g., Discount Tire) have these kinds of programming tools, and they'll usually give it a go for you.

Paulie what year is your car? I think that the batteries are what go bad on these things. On the early C5's 1997-2000, there are people who can replace the batteries on those. The later ones 2001-2004 you just replace them.

Paulie, you have to remember that the battery life expectancy for the TPS is 5 years by GM, but this is a combination of miles and years. GM expects an average miles/year around 15K. Therefore the life of the TPS is longer if you drive less miles. Since you purchased off E-Bay, you may not know the date the batteries in the TPS were built. Once they are put into the TPS, they start losing energy. From what I read when I reseached this issue, the OEM TPS costs more than the after-market ones, but they are the same design and use the same batteries. If the person you purchased from had them a long time, even if only on a shelf, the batteries will wear down, possibly causing your problems. One thing I did learn is that even when you purchase the OEMs, they may be at least one year old or longer. Think how long some dealerships hold their new corvettes before they sell them. You best bet, if Tom's magnet or Discount Tire service tool do not work on your current TPS, is to purchase OEMs from GM Parts House (Gene Culley) and try to get the ones with the most recent manufacture date.
At least those of us who have the C5s and C6s are lucky in that we can get replacements. The C4s had piezometric TPs systems that worked without batteries, but the replacement units are not available except from salvage yards. The C4 people are really "up the creek without a paddle" or sensors in this case. I know, because I was in that situation when I had my C4, but was fortunate to find used sensors, but at prices much more than the C5 C6 units. GM sold new C4 sensor units for $380 each. Used ones can cost up to $200 each.
Hope this helps.
Barrett

I checked and I have two more of the old sensors. The next chance I get I will have them put back on and remove the ones I bought on ebay. In the mean time I will order the OEM TPMS. Not a big deal. Sometime these things get under my skin because corvettes are so sensitive. But not any more!!!!:thumb
Pau:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom