Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

another ZZ4 question

drduckster

Corvette
1976 black cherry t-top coupe
I am looking at installing a ZZ4 350/355 HO, within the next 6 to 8 months. my question is will I need to install a turbo 400 or what can I do to the current turbo 350 to have a dependable yet decent hot rod. Or do I need to look at a 700r4? Also I like the 3:70 gears, do I need to replace these also? I do not drag my car or any type of autocross, but I want a solid cruiser that I could take some trips in if the opportunity comes up. Sorry for the number of questions, but before I spend the money, I would like as much info as possible and any suggestions that the group may have. 1976 coupe. Opps ....... what kind of luck are ya'll having with the uni-lug wheels, American Racing in particular. thanks Donald

As long as your TH350 is is good condition it should be ok behind a ZZ4. If you plan on running a converter that has a higher stall than stock you may want to install a cooler for the trans. Also a good shift kit will firm up the shifts & also cut down on slippage during shifts. If you are looking into an overdrive trans you have the 700r4 & the 200r4. Each when built properly has some advantages. The 700 has a deep 1st gear for excelent standing start acceleration. The 200 is geared simmular to your th350 & from what I understand is almost a bolt in swap for a Th350. You can check them out at Bowtieoverdrives.com

Good luck

Donald, a friend put the same engine in his 73 and he had a 400 trans with 3.08 rear gears. His engine dyno'd out to 375 horse (it was a crate motor from Sallee Motors) and he got 15 mpg on road trips with it. Last year he bought a 700 trans from bowtie overdrives, it was a kit and comes with everything to make the swap and his mileage jumped to a high 20 to 21 mpg. He averages about 12000 miles a summer with it and is very happy with the performance gain of the 700's low gear and the overdrive for gas mileage. Hope this info helps.

MIke

This is exactly the kind of info that I need, I have a lot of options and I am trying to make all the decisions ahead of time. I am sure that I will have many more later, thanks for the responses. Is this the same Chris McDonald with the 69, in the Feb 2003, edition of Vette magazine?? :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom