Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ANTENNA REPLACEMENT FOR C5 '01

Tractorman_3

Corvette
2005 C6 Silver Coupe
Anyone 'been there, done that' yet? My C5 is a convertable with a recent dead antenna motor. Just wondered if anyone has any shortcuts or tips on replacement.................Thanks for your ;help ! Dave

:v

Yes, get XM :)
Tiny little antenna (which due to the fiberglass body I have mounted inside the right rear fender (have to mount it on a piece of metal though for proper reception).

In the vette I didnt want to trust to the FM reception method, so I sprung for the cable that allows you to connect it direct (it's the same cable that you would use to mount a stock 12 CD changer in the back). The XM Commander
is tucked up under the dash to the right of the glovebox and the very small control head sits on the ashtray cover on the console (yes it comes with a remote).

Small little fuse tap to the panel (plug and play, no changing anything, pop out fuse, put it in tap, put tap back in fuse panel, your in business) under the passenger kick panel.

You'll find a raceway for the antenna wire that runs along the right rocker panel (the rocker panel pulls off, its velcro'ed) and you can snake the wire through the right rear speaker enclosure and as I said, mount the antenna to a small (four inch by six inch) piece of galvanized steel (regular sheet metal, Home Depot) and two small screws to underside of right rear fender in the trunk. Cover it with black tape or paint it and you will never see it.

The stock bose system switches to XM (or whatever it finds on the 12CD changer line) if you hit the CD button twice.

If you want to forgo the direct connect through the CD changer cable, you can leave that part out and tune to whatever FM frequency you set your XM head to transmit on, We did it that way in my Wifes truck and it sounds fine (well not as good acousticaly due to the Bose system in the vette, but it's clear as a bell).

Once you use satalite radio you wont look back at FM again :)

Oh.....if you have a hole in the fender that you must use for something now that you no longer need it for the XM......you could...

Find the smallest, techyest cell phone antenna you can find, bring it to the mall to the place that does the engraving, have them engrave "VooDoo Satallite Ant-Theft Tracking System", and screw it into the hole, park with confidence :)

Thanks for the advice on the XM...........I will keep it in mind but I still think I will replace the dead antenna motor. Like to have everything working, you know?

:v

Absolutely :)

Tractorman,
Try doing some searches on the internet for antenna replacement parts....sometimes you can get the spare parts and fix 'em up yourself, alot cheaper than replacing the whole thing. Did this once for a stripped gear inside a Mercedes antenna....
Good luck!

Thanks guy! Actually, I have located a new replacement but haven't purchased yet. Trying to see just what I am getting into before I plunge blindly.
p.s. When I was a young man (23) I went to the Chevy dealer in Dec. 67, to purchase a new '68 convertable. I left the dealership with a '67, 427 loaded to the gills.............sure wish I still had it!!! Never let go.

p.s. When I was a young man (23) I went to the Chevy dealer in Dec. 67, to purchase a new '68 convertable. I left the dealership with a '67, 427 loaded to the gills.............sure wish I still had it!!! Never let go.

Like they say...hindsight is always 20/20...
When I bought the '68 from my wifes grandfather, I asked him why he ordered this car with the base motor and no radio....couple hundred bucks back then would have got a nice big block....as for no radio, just said he didn't need one....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom