Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anti-freeze on the intake manifold???

HotL82

Corvette
1979 Red on Red L82
I pulled my L82 out yesterday to let it run for awhile since it was a decent day yesterday. I noticed a small puddle of anti-freeze on the ground, on the passenger side towards the front of the engine.

Closer inspection, I noticed 2 small puddles of anti freeze on top of the intake manifold, near where the valve covers meet the engine. I have a checked the hose's and both are newer hoses and I cannot find a leak from them anywhere.

Any ideas on where I can look. Darn leak is driving me nuts! :O

Intake manifold gasket, heater hose that comes out of the manifold or thermostat housing. Not much else there to leak. Just happened to my 79 after 5 years of a dry engine. Hope it's something easy like a thermostat housing, but they generaly leave traces of coolant as it runs down to the lower spots on the manifold.

DPF said:
Intake manifold gasket, heater hose that comes out of the manifold or thermostat housing. Not much else there to leak. Just happened to my 79 after 5 years of a dry engine. Hope it's something easy like a thermostat housing, but they generaly leave traces of coolant as it runs down to the lower spots on the manifold.
Thanks DPF. I hope too that the thermostat is my problem...I can fix that! It seems it leaks after I turn of the car and let the car sit...it is on level ground, so I will keep an eye out just to make sure....thanks again!

Try watching that area after you shut it off. It's probably coming out of the crossover points on the intake manifold gaskets. Try re-torqueing your intake manifold bolts to spec. and see if the problem goes away. Replacing a manifold gasket is pretty easy on a '79 so if it doesn't stop leaking, set aside about 4 Hrs. and get a gasket set. Fel-pro gaskets are about $60.00 for an intake. Got Wrenches?

Oh yes I hace a nice set of wrenches! Geez the price we pay for older cars :)

None that I have seen as of yet. That is a good thing !

So true. At least you do not have to be a college grad and hold several degrees to work on the new ones! (runs and hides from the c4 thru c6 crowd)

most pos..... coolant comming up threads of intake bolts .. had same .prob..... pull bolts .... use thred sealent.... seapage gone ..this same prob started for me after new intake gaskt replacment..

Thanks Dman....took off the hose and readjusted the clamp...so far so good, keeping an eye out for any more leakage...will try the other suggestions if more leakage appears!!! thanks again!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom