Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

antifreeze flush or change how to on 02

okgo

Corvette
69 vert 02 black coupe
how to flush antifreeze on 02

With Gen 3/4 engines, since the block coolant drains are not easy to access, unless you want to do the work necessary to get at them, coolant flushes have to be acomplished by sucessive drains and fills of the radiator and the fill bottle.

What I do is drain the radiator, then refill with tap water and, once the system is full, turn the hose down such that water goes in the fill bottle at the same rate it drains out of the radiator. Then I strart the engine and run it for a while. After several minutes, I shut down the engine, let the water run for a minute or so longer then turn the water off and allow the radiator to drain dry.

Admittdly, this method does not purge the system of every last drop of the old coolant but, in a practical sense, it eliminates the old coolant.

Next I add the amount of antifreeze I want. After that I fill with distilled water then run the engine to operating temperature and if any bleeding of air bubbles is required I do that.

I shut the engine off, allow the system to cool a bit then top it off.

After that I resume normal operation but I check the coolant level once or twice more after the engine cools just to make sure there were no additional air pockets in the system.

I needed to have the Dex Cool changed in my 02 Z06 this year and after researching the method, I found that it was easier, better, and inexpensive to have the dealer do it with their BG flush machine. They pour a cleaner in the reservoir tank, let it mix, then hook up the machine to the hoses. While the engine is off, the old coolant is flushed out and rinsed, then new coolant is added without the dealer doing any hose changes - it's all automatically controlled, the tech just watches the procedure. The coolant is disposed properly, the corvette is set for the next five years, and I got to watch. Cost me $105 and it was worth it. Took less than 25 minutes and I was on my way. I do recommend the method if your dealer charges a reasonable price. I checked with another dealer and was told that it would be $150. Dealer prices are not the same across the board. Of course, if you like to change the coolant yourself, use Hib's directions. Just don't pour the coolant onto the ground as a disposal method nor dump into a sewer.
Barrett

I needed to have the Dex Cool changed in my 02 Z06 this year and after researching the method, I found that it was easier, better, and inexpensive to have the dealer do it with their BG flush machine. They pour a cleaner in the reservoir tank, let it mix, then hook up the machine to the hoses. While the engine is off, the old coolant is flushed out and rinsed, then new coolant is added without the dealer doing any hose changes - it's all automatically controlled, the tech just watches the procedure. The coolant is disposed properly, the corvette is set for the next five years, and I got to watch. Cost me $105 and it was worth it. Took less than 25 minutes and I was on my way. I do recommend the method if your dealer charges a reasonable price. I checked with another dealer and was told that it would be $150. Dealer prices are not the same across the board. Of course, if you like to change the coolant yourself, use Hib's directions. Just don't pour the coolant onto the ground as a disposal method nor dump into a sewer.
Barrett

Now you peaked my interest, since you live in Colorado. I have an '04 that the coolant needs to be changed in this year and I am always very hesitant to go to a dealer. Which dealer did the coolant change for you, in what Colorado town?

Thanks

Actually, the dealer is fairly close to you, Bozarth in Lone Tree (470 and I25). Ask for Greg Ruybal (direct line 303-858-2438) and tell him I referred you. You could request the World Class Tech, Noel, to do the work for you.
Barrett Benson

Good info. I've already got my coolant and I'm ready to do it. Just have to find the motivation.:L

Anyone wanting to pay me $125 for $25 worth of Dexcool let me know

The procedure listed above is easy to do and takes less than an hour to do. GM doesn't recommend any flushes in the aluminium block and even though my coolent was murky I was able to flush out the system and have the waer come out of the radiator clear by doing a flush as described above. Incidentally anyone waiting more than 5 years is looking for trouble. Several class action suits are out there regarding Dexcool ruining engines.
Flush it yourself and save $100 or more.

Actually, the dealer is fairly close to you, Bozarth in Lone Tree (470 and I25). Ask for Greg Ruybal (direct line 303-858-2438) and tell him I referred you. You could request the World Class Tech, Noel, to do the work for you.
Barrett Benson

Thanks for the contact info. Nice to know what options are out there.

I, too, have heard and read never to use chemical flushes in our alum. alloy motors. So I don't! :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom