Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Any gjet gurus out there?????

• Thread starter Thread starter 78SA
  • Start date Start date

78SA

Hello all C3'ers,

Gotta a quick ? for any and all qjet gurus out there......I've been told that in order to adjust the idle mixture that I must disconnect and plug the vacuum advance line????

Is that the proper proceedure????

Thanks all..

Mike

In over forty (40) years of repairing cars, I never did.

Adjust dwell.

Ignition timing then set.

Then adjust carburetor mixture.

Finally, idle speed.

That's just me.

Hello all C3'ers,

Gotta a quick ? for any and all qjet gurus out there......I've been told that in order to adjust the idle mixture that I must disconnect and plug the vacuum advance line????

Is that the proper proceedure????

Thanks all..

Mike
Yeah,You really need to get the Idle Air Mixture right!
:thumb:thumb:thumb

The only time you need to disconnect and plug the vacuum advance line is to set initial (base) timing. Idle mixture is adjusted with the engine in normal idle condition.

:beer

Yeah,You really need to get the Idle Air Mixture right!
:thumb:thumb:thumb
I took my qcarburb to a good carb rebuilt shop that had equipment to dail in the "idle mixture " along with the overall mixture through the proper jets to produce the factory 365 hp @ 460 ft/lbs. That was 5 years ago . She runs well in the heat of summer but my god she LOVES the Fall !!!!!

In fact, if you were to adjust the idle mixture with the vacuum advance disconnected, once you reconnected it, the mixture would probably be incorrect as the engine's fuel requirements will be different with the spark retarded 10-20 deg from where it would normally be with the vac. adv. functional.

As was said earlier, do it with the vac advance disconnected.

Once your dwell (if you have points) is set and the initial advance is set, then do a rough idle mixture adjustment. Move on to curb idle, then go back and fine adjust the idle mixture and, finally, re do the curb idle if necessary.

You can really get the idle mixtures accurate using a vacuum gauge.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom