Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Any issues with adding C5 ZO6 suspension to C5 base suspension convertible?

LowMiles

I have done a lot of research and think I have that it will be a easy swap. I would also be adding Z06 width wheels and oem size tires. Michelin SS non run flats.

Going from a ZO6 coupe to a base convert, does anyone see any issues. The car will be a daily/weekend driver. I would prefer Z51 suspension, the C5 ZO6 complete parts are available to me for a limited time. I like a car that handles on back roads and prefer the performance ride and feel. the lower HP is not an issue for me. I do drive spiritedly 50% of the time. I may some day look into getting onto a track or autocross course, nothing competitive.

I am seeking your opinions and knowledge to make sure everything is a easy bolt in swap and there are no hidden issues. I have thick skin. All opinions welcome.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Wayne

I have done a lot of research and think I have that it will be a easy swap. I would also be adding Z06 width wheels and oem size tires. Michelin SS non run flats.

Going from a ZO6 coupe to a base convert, does anyone see any issues. The car will be a daily/weekend driver. I would prefer Z51 suspension, the C5 ZO6 complete parts are available to me for a limited time. I like a car that handles on back roads and prefer the performance ride and feel. the lower HP is not an issue for me. I do drive spiritedly 50% of the time. I may some day look into getting onto a track or autocross course, nothing competitive.

I am seeking your opinions and knowledge to make sure everything is a easy bolt in swap and there are no hidden issues. I have thick skin. All opinions welcome.

Wayne

Go for it!! spring rates, sway bar diameter, and shocks should be the only differences; along with a more aggressive alignment. You may want to opt for the Sachs shocks from an '04 Z06, they were by far the best. Just remember, that base vert IS heavier than the Z06, so don't expect miracles...

Wayne

No issues that I can see other than the labor involved for the gains achieved. As stated by Big Jim, new '04 Z06 or Bilstein shocks will be your best options for shocks, and don't go used on those parts.

BTW, C5 Z06 was a hardtop, not a coupe. :)

Tire recommendation

No issues that I can see other than the labor involved for the gains achieved. As stated by Big Jim, new '04 Z06 or Bilstein shocks will be your best options for shocks, and don't go used on those parts.

BTW, C5 Z06 was a hardtop, not a coupe. :)

Thanks for the info, it is what I was looking for. On the SS tires, I just searched and found Michelin does not make them in the OEM size for the C5 ZO6. Any suggestions on a size in Michelin? I was locked in on Michelins. That are a great tire, I have had great luck with. Anyone have other brand recommendations that would be close to Michelin?

As for the ZO6 being a hardtop.... Opps! I am a recent retread getting back into Corvette's after many years! But its feels great being a rookie again. :D

Everyone I know goes with the C6 ZO6 components, not the C5.

Hi there,

As a sidenote to the installation of C6 ZO6 suspension components on a C5.

One thing to consider, the travel of the suspension of the C6 is LONGER than that of the C5. In some cases, you can bottom the shock absorbers and create an upset chassis.

Alignment is also very key on C5. If the toe is not set correctly, bad tracking over bumps can be experienced.

Allthebest, Paul

Thanks, Paul. I should have clarified the most common base C5 upgrade is the C6ZO6 shocks and sway bars. They are inexpensive and easy to do and may satisfy him.

Thanks, Paul. I should have clarified the most common base C5 upgrade is the C6ZO6 shocks and sway bars. They are inexpensive and easy to do and may satisfy him.

Thanks everyone for all your input.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom