Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: anybody know cheap painters in missouri

justin10morrissey

Corvette
1985 corvette
my corvette is somewhat prepped for paint still have some body work to do but looking for someone to do a good cheap paintjob

I'm not familiar with Missouri but around these parts, you can get either a good paint job or a cheap paint job but not both at the same time.

How do you define cheap?

Cheap painters

There was/is a shop in Springfield, Mo. on Chestnut Ave. called Earl Scheib-a franchise body shop whose big draw was cheap paint jobs. I am not sure if they are still there as I heard that they got bought out by another francise body shop called Maaco who also has at least one shop in Springfield. They make their own paint which is acrylic enamel and you could get one of their top paint jobs for around $700.00. At least you could the last time I checked. If they don't do any body work and just the paint it won't be any higher. They have cheaper paint jobs but that is something you would have to talk to them about before you decide. If you have more than one color it costs more since it requires more work. I have had several vehicles painted by them and always with good results and they had up to a seven year warranty on their paint jobs. Most body shops will only guarantee their paint jobs for one year. People can laugh if they want to but everytime I had a vehicle painted by them and people I know would see it they would always comment on how good it looked and wanted to know where I had it done. I didn't tell everyone how much it cost but the people I did it blew their minds and couldn't believe I got such a good looking paint job at such a cheap price. It might be something you would want to check into and I hope this helps. :w

There was/is a shop in Springfield, Mo. on Chestnut Ave. called Earl Scheib-a franchise body shop whose big draw was cheap paint jobs. I am not sure if they are still there as I heard that they got bought out by another francise body shop called Maaco who also has at least one shop in Springfield. They make their own paint which is acrylic enamel and you could get one of their top paint jobs for around $700.00. At least you could the last time I checked. If they don't do any body work and just the paint it won't be any higher. They have cheaper paint jobs but that is something you would have to talk to them about before you decide. If you have more than one color it costs more since it requires more work. I have had several vehicles painted by them and always with good results and they had up to a seven year warranty on their paint jobs. Most body shops will only guarantee their paint jobs for one year. People can laugh if they want to but everytime I had a vehicle painted by them and people I know would see it they would always comment on how good it looked and wanted to know where I had it done. I didn't tell everyone how much it cost but the people I did it blew their minds and couldn't believe I got such a good looking paint job at such a cheap price. It might be something you would want to check into and I hope this helps. :w

I got a bid from Maaco recently....

Close to $3000 to strip, prep and paint with GOOD material and a clear coat.
That was with me bringing the car in minus the trim, lites and other misc exterior items.

The Macco top shelf paint package is now closer to $2K.

They still offer the $300 paint job. Still about the same quality as Earl Schibe offered for $39.95 back in 1970. No charge for the overspray.

The easiest way to save money is to drop the car off "ready for prep" meaning that you've done all the work to remove headlites, tailites and all the black moulding around the car. That alone is worth a good $500 in shop labor. If you;re skilled, do the majority of the sanding and body work. Take it in as close as ready to shoot as you possibly can. Pay them to paint, not turn wrenchs taking headlite doors off. A little shop will do a better deal than a chain store, or "production shop" as they are called. Maaco likes to chemical strip old paint because its less labor., faster.
Small shops like to get 2 guys on a D/A sander for a day and let them go for it...

I got a bid from Maaco recently....

Close to $3000 to strip, prep and paint with GOOD material and a clear coat.
That was with me bringing the car in minus the trim, lites and other misc exterior items.

The Macco top shelf paint package is now closer to $2K.

They still offer the $300 paint job. Still about the same quality as Earl Schibe offered for $39.95 back in 1970. No charge for the overspray.

The easiest way to save money is to drop the car off "ready for prep" meaning that you've done all the work to remove headlites, tailites and all the black moulding around the car. That alone is worth a good $500 in shop labor. If you;re skilled, do the majority of the sanding and body work. Take it in as close as ready to shoot as you possibly can. Pay them to paint, not turn wrenchs taking headlite doors off. A little shop will do a better deal than a chain store, or "production shop" as they are called. Maaco likes to chemical strip old paint because its less labor., faster.
Small shops like to get 2 guys on a D/A sander for a day and let them go for it...
i was also quoted a price close to that with two holes in the rear quarters several layers of paint six holes in the hood that were poorly filled the common headlight screw damage and plenty of sanding this also included door jams but i need to do as much bodywork as possible to keep prices low

Paint

I have a paint booth and the equipment to do a real good job if you want to entertain the idea of doing it yourself. I can even help you get going if you want.

I have a paint booth and the equipment to do a real good job if you want to entertain the idea of doing it yourself. I can even help you get going if you want.
im afraid id mess it up ive never tried anything like this and theres still alot of bodywork to do but for now its too cold i will definately keep your name in mind. are you a painter yourself?

my vette.jpg

I looked around out here in Ca last year Maco was cheepiest with there top of the line paint job $1800.00 everywhere else from $4500.00 to $6000.00 this including custon paint shop Pricing.;squint:

I Said screw it broke the old Paint guns out and painted my self In my Garage It was over 10 years ago last time I painted a car it not no show car paint job but came out Good.;)

Now I wished I painted it a diffrent color Figured Hun.:W

There called 'Rattle cans

A spray bombed Chevy 2 won best paint at the Detroit Autorama a few years ago and thats the top Custom Car show in the country.....they painted each part individually and then assembled it. So, break out the rattle cans....now thats cheap ......:upthumbs

After adding up the cost of alll the spray cans you will need It cost more.

Find a local CAR paint shop it should cost about $250.,00 for all the top Coat paint you need to paint the car I used Ace Hardware brand Thinners Half the price of the car paint Shop.

Shop around for paint Shop There was a $100.00 Diffrences in price in paint stores out here for the same type paint.
DO NOT USE Rustoleum brand paint I did at first for the primer coat big mistake Automotive paint will peel off after time I have read. Use Car primer only.

I also use the sundays News Paper and tape to maske the car instead of store type masking paper this will also save you some money.

I had to sand all the Rustoleum off the car was not fun at all.

I had to sand all the Paint off at first do the clear coat was mostly peeling off the car when I Purched it.

A spray bombed Chevy 2 won best paint at the Detroit Autorama a few years ago and thats the top Custom Car show in the country.....they painted each part individually and then assembled it. So, break out the rattle cans....now thats cheap ......:upthumbs

I had mine painted at maaco for $899, I splurged for the $899 package instead of going for the usual $399, hey its a vette why not. Or you can step up to the $1299 paint job but that is reserved for Italian supercars.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom