Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anybody knows this connector?

Peer81

Corvette
'81 Black
Does anybody know this connector and where it should connect to?

It comes right out the main wire harness with a brown/white (or tan/white?) wire and a orange wire. As you can see the orange wire is cut and this is about the last connector I don't know its origin from. It's located (in my car) just before the radio under the center console around the cigarette lighter.
In the lower right corner you can see the connector for the diagnostic check.

I've checked the wiring diagrams in the shop manual but couldn't find it. Maybe I looked over it I don't know. If somebody has an idea please let me know :)
(btw, the other lose wires you can see in the picture are from the rear speakers that are not in use anymore.)

IMG_3681.JPG

Groeten Peter.

Peter,can you get a pic from the plug end of the connector???? meanwhile I'll look thru the manuals and wiring diagrams to see if I can find it,If I cant I open one of my side covers to see if I can find it.

Hello Bill

Tomorrow I'll take a picture of the plug end. I've gone through the wiring diagrams again and maybe I've found it.
In the shopmanual on page 8C-36 Instrument Panel and Gages.
In the left top is the radio diagram. On the "bottom" there are two wires comming out of the radio. Orange (40) and Brown (9) these two form a connector so maybe this is it?
Pointing to the brown wire a tag says: "for E.T.R. Radios only RPO UM 4,5,6 UN 5.

Looking through the wiring diagrams I learned orange (40) wires are 12v wires.
More info tomorrow (or overhere within 10 houres ;) )

Groeten Peter.

And here the second picture.
IMG_3691.JPG

A little correction. The second wire is not a brown/white wire but only a brown wire. This would correspond with the connector for the radio. Then the orange wire would be a constant 12v or key controlled 12v wire (when you look further in the picture you see a orange wire going into a temporary connection, I think that is the same one.

Now I'm just curious where the brown wire is for. Cool thing about a wiring diagram is that you can trace a single wire all across the car. So I'll just write everything down as I go along..
The wire I'm tracing is .8 BRN (wire number 9, including (9A, 9B etc etc). From the page where the connector is placed I work back to the first page. Under the Radio diagram is the Rear Tail lights diagram also with number 9 wires (same wire if I'm correct). So the wire gives 12v to some taillights (side markers, tail lights and the license plate lamp.) Tracking the number 9 wire thought the diagram (bottom of the page it's the 5th wire from the bottom (.8 BRN).
Tracking it back to page 8C-31 it joins into a connector as number 9A. If I'm correct this is the big connector which connects the rear taillight cables to the main harness. It also connects to the cornering lamp switch on page 8C-30. It also spits on page 30 and one part goes to the light switch on page 31. The other wire again joining into a connector as 9E. On page 8C-29, 9E becomes 9A and it connects to the side marker lamps and park lamps.

Maybe this is a somewhat easier question. It seems the brown wire gives current (12v) when the side marker lamps and parking lamps are on. I think the original radio gets illuminated when the side marker lamps and parking lamps are also on, is this correct?

BTW. Tracing the orange wire it traces back to a constant 12v source. :)

Groeten Peter.

I doubt this will help but Gm radios had an extra connection on the back of the radio. It was to maintain memory when the car was shut off.

I have my console apart now... I have a similar connector with a brown and orange wire but it is not connected to anything.

Power antenna connector?

-Mac

Thanks for the info everybody :)

The Power antenna connector is a blue wire I had already found.
Jack, you're answer sure helps, it concludes that I'm thinking in the right direction.
Dave, do you have the original GM radio with digital tuner?

Groeten Peter.

i know

Like what was said before, the delco radio with the digital clock has this brown and orange wiring along with the blue, white and black plugs.....

Mac495

Yeah, if you find the other end of that orange wire you'll find it's hot all the time and was used for the memory in the radio.

Thanks for all the replies!

I think the orange wire is connected to my sigarette ligher (now a 12v output).
At the end of this year a new Pioneer radio is going in so all will be fine again. :)

Groeten Peter

do you have a clock or oil temp gauge on your cluster, when i had mine out i i believe i found it for the oil tep gauge option. hope tha helps! Shelly

okay, i take it back. from the wiring diagram it does look like that is the key off power for the setings in the etr radio. good luck! Shelly

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom