Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anyone apply interior decals to dash, etc?

01TriBlack

I purchased a set of interior decals for the steering wheel, dashboard and sills. The steering wheel and sill decals went on like a charm (and look GREAT!). Not so for the farkin' dashboard C-O-R-V-E-T-T-E letters. They would NOT stick and when I applied heat with the hairdryer they blew off. Anyone have any hints on how to get the dashboard decals to stay?

I only had one of the CORVETTE letters that gave me a problem on Hubby's '02 dash...and I put the tiniest dab of Super Glue on that wayward letter! It has been fine ever since!

Elaine

Hi, Elaine. :) Did the letters actually stick when you applied them - or did it take some application of heat? These were all lifted - could not get them to stick at all (even with heat). Hmmmm...I'm wondering if they were "defective."

Yes, the letters did stick, but the "R" had trouble staying stuck! I know you did the usual cleaning of the indentations prior to applying them. I'd give a call to whoever you bought them from and explain the situation.

Elaine

I know exactly what the problem was. You failed to clean the dash properly. The decals have barely any adhesive on them at all so proper cleaning is essential for adhesion. You must first clean with low odor mineral spirits, then follow up with denatured alcohol. Rubbing alcohol leaves a slippery film and I suspect that is what you used because the directions say so. When I recieved mine I laughed when I read to clean area with rubbing alcohol. The hair dryer will set the letters in nicely. Oh yeah, use the head of a pin to pick up the letters and apply. Also, a tiny drop of glue will work on stubborn letters. Even with all the proper prep work, I also had to resort to a drop of glue on one of the letters. You can get the two chemicals at Home Depot for about $5 each can and they will last you for a long time

Yep, I used a lot of rubbing alcohol. I just ordered another set of dash decals - I'll give your instructions a whirl, Pac-man. Thank ya!!! :)

As an aside, I can't believe the improvement to the interior with the decal on the steering wheel. Very bland without. The mats help as well to infuse a little color.

M.

The steering wheel decal, door sills and airbag letters really open up the interior of the car. There are alot of cool stickers and emblems,etc. for under the hood as well that have the same effect. I figured that you used rubbing alcohol, can't figure out why the heck they say to use that? It always leaves a film. Any experienced detailer knows that. That is the main reason everyone has trouble with the letter kit. Good luck and glad to be of help.

Any chance any of you guys have pics of the installed letters?
It sounds like a cool idea.

I guess you found them at one of the many online sites?

Mary, :w

Thanks. I checked out the pics on ebay. They really look cool. I'm going to look into getting some.

- Steve

I just bought a set off ebay for my steering wheel. I have some on there now that are just the flag but i liked those better

Hiya! One thing with the "decals" (they're "stickers," in actuality), is that you really do need to use the mineral spirits and denatured alcohol. Though they're "stickers," you'd never, ever know it. You'll like 'em, rest assured. They fit very, very nicely... they look as though they're "stock." :_rock

I already had the steering wheel and door sill stickers but have been looking for somebody that sold the airbag stickers by themselves. Thanks for the info. I will get those and the sticker for the airbridge as well. They look great!

01TriBlack said:
Hiya! One thing with the "decals" (they're "stickers," in actuality), is that you really do need to use the mineral spirits and denatured alcohol. Though they're "stickers," you'd never, ever know it. You'll like 'em, rest assured. They fit very, very nicely... they look as though they're "stock." :_rock
Hi Mary,
Just so you know, you will give up some performance because of the added weight of the stickers.
For each sticker, plan on losing about 5 RWHP!
;LOL ;LOL

That's why I'm not gon' do it...not at this juncture...wouldn't be prudent.

Hey, did you have the LS1 edit done yet?

Later,
Pedro

:w

Tripleblack51 said:
Hi Mary,
Just so you know, you will give up some performance because of the added weight of the stickers.
For each sticker, plan on losing about 5 RWHP!
;LOL ;LOL

That's why I'm not gon' do it...not at this juncture...wouldn't be prudent.
I'm feelin' ya - that was a huge consideration of mine, too. That's why I sacrificed the AIRBAG decals - figured I was already taking enough of an HP hit with the other decals I really wanted. :Silly

Nope... I haven't gotten the car up there yet. Plus I just put $1,200 into the rear wheel bearings/hubs. :cry I thought it best to lay off on the expenses for a bit and just live with the messages that constantly flash. Although, I got to the point I ignored them...and one day I made an effort to read them. YIKES!! In between my SERVICE COLUMN LOCK message and FLAT TIRE messages I got one saying LOW OIL LEVEL!! WTH????? 2 quarts low! I wonder how long it was telling me that. :eek

Later,
Pedro

:w[/QUOTE]

01TriBlack said:
YIKES!! In between my SERVICE COLUMN LOCK message and FLAT TIRE messages I got one saying LOW OIL LEVEL!! WTH????? 2 quarts low! I wonder how long it was telling me that. :eek
[/QUOTE]
Gotta watch the '01's.

Mine still consumes a quart every 4 - 5K miles.

Pedro

Back to the origanal question. LOL!

I just did an install of both the full wheel decal, and the airbag decal. I had thought that the air bag would be the harder of the two? But, I was wrong! LOL!

I should have done the wheel decal more the way I did the airbag?

I used Alky, just as the install info states. Did not see any problem from this, worked fine.

As I see it the real trick is to keep the decals wet during placement. I did not use anything to do this on the whhel decal, as there was no info to do so? Maybe that would help, I am not sure? (although it did work fine, just think I could have done a better job if i wet it down a bit.

The airbag/dash, was a brezze really! LOL! The trick is like with window tint. Keep it wet!

After cleaning with the Alky, I just used a needle (sewing type) to remove the decal from the paper. Used a Q-tip to wet the area that it was to be applied to. Just plain old H2O. After removeing the decal form the paper, I dipped it into, yes you got it! LOL! H2O! This allowed the decal to slide around a bit for placement. The eye of the needle can be used to move the decal around a bit, without damage to the decal, or the dash.

Once you have the decal where you want it, just use a Q-tip to lightly rub over the decal. This is to remove some of the H2O.

At this point don't do anything else, just move on to the next letter! Continue in this manner till all letters are in place.

Then use the hair dryer to heat them up, and get rid of any H2O that might be left.

And I thought this was going to be hard.:upthumbs

I did all this under the influence,:beer in the dark, with only interior lights, and a flash light! ;)

So maybe it won't look as good in the morning?;LOL

Hi, DocAcumen. :w I'm waiting to see if you're pleased with the decals after your ~ahem~ impaired state during application. :D I've learned my lesson in that regard... I put the letters on the rear of the '96 in and under the same condition(s) as you. Not good. Ha!

Were yours actual decal decals? I thought these of mine were going to be as well - but they were actually stickers. When I think of decals, I think of the thingies you need to get wet to slide of the backing.... sounds like what you got. I couldn't understand why my supplier called them "decals" when they actually had adhesive on them. :confused

Mary

01TriBlack said:
Hi, DocAcumen. :w I'm waiting to see if you're pleased with the decals after your ~ahem~ impaired state during application. :D I've learned my lesson in that regard... I put the letters on the rear of the '96 in and under the same condition(s) as you. Not good. Ha!

Were yours actual decal decals? I thought these of mine were going to be as well - but they were actually stickers. When I think of decals, I think of the thingies you need to get wet to slide of the backing.... sounds like what you got. I couldn't understand why my supplier called them "decals" when they actually had adhesive on them. :confused

Mary
Mary, mine look fine !

As far as adhesive? ummm there has to be something there to make them stick?

I am sure I could nit pick the install I made, but, they look good to me! You can always say that you wished it fit like this, or that? But mine fit well!

The only thing I found that did not go as planned is that I see just a bit of red in the white area of the flags on the wheel decal? Might have been an error on my part, not sure?

Hehehehe.... probably semantics on my part. Sorry. I just remember my brothers using decals on model airplanes, tanks, etc... and the they actually got the whole paper wet and slid the decals off. Sure didn't seem like there was adhesive. Maybe they just dried in place? I dunno. I think they airbrushed something over the finished product, though.

Truth be told, I haven't look at my wheel decal all that close for fear I'd see some flaw that only I would see... then it would drive me nuts.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom