Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anyone ever claybar their Vette??

FFAST87

Corvette
1987 Black Coupe
I just ordered myself a Claybar cleaning kit from GRIOTS . I have a few tough spots that need attention...and want to hit my windshield as It has some road fallout and small pits I hope will be removed byt he claybar.
Anyone have any war stories about using this stuff. Ive heard nothing but praise about how well it removes all the deep down crud from the paint surface. Can;t wait to use it...& apply a fresh coat of Carnauba Wax!!!:blue:

I did mine last year, it came out just fine and didn't take as loon as I thought it would.

I used the Mothers brand clay bar kit on my firebird and it turned out really nice. After I had washed my car I hit the whole thing with the clay bar, polish, seal, and carnuba wax. The paint had a really nice deep shine(black) and the surface was as smooth as glass. I only did one section at a time so it seemed like it took forever. :eyerole It was well worth the wait however. I am waiting for the nice weather so I can use it again.

Use them on my cars all the time. Definitely worth the bucks. Dirt seems to get attached to the surface of the paint and that stuff doesn't easily wash off. You will be amazed at how much dirt will be pulled off.

clay bar works great it will take out all the junk off your paint.
get you some zaino instead of wax, that stuff is awsome

We had a mishap in the parking lot at work a couple of years ago. Some contractors were spray painting a small building near our hangar and the overspray drifted across the parking lot and almost evry car in our squadron got paint fall out on them. The contractors insurance did the right thing and hired some professional detailers to fly up to PA from FL to take care of it. They clay barred about 40 cars with amazing results. What the clay bar could not remove off the textured plastic parts they paid a dealer estimate for the cash value for a repair/replacement. Luckily it was my Blazer that got the damage as my Vette was safe in the garage in Maine. It did a great job. The paint was cleaned like new and they put a fresh coat of wax on it. Shine right up without a hint of damage. Even got out those annoying mineral spots from water drops. I have not used it myself yet but if my paint ever gets that bad I won't hesitate.

Just finished clay bar and wax on my 02. The former owner worked the oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico and left it parked at the helipad near the ocean. Made a huge difference in the appearence.

Dale

I did my car 2 years ago, with a Zaino clay bar. Now, i have no clue how to, but followed the instructions and it came out looking GREAT.. As in you'll need your shades great. I didnt do anything for the car for 10 years before and it looked like new paint. The claying didnt take too much time (about an afternoon), just make sure you have enough wet spray (as recommended by the manufacturer) and you'll be pleased..
:w
-Stefan

I did my 94 shortly after I bought it. The car didn't look too bad before and I wasn't sure it would do anything. Boy was I wrong, it pulled so much junk off the surface, totally amazing. The rags would not even stay on the hood they just slid right off.

Wash the car first with Dawn dishwashing detergent, follow the directions, use plenty of lubricant, take your time. If you drop the clay bar on the ground throw it away, as it will pick up dirt and grime and will scratch the paint if you use it again.

The reason for using Dawn is that it will strip all the old wax, grease and junk off the surface.

I claybarred my '65 about two years ago and followed up with Zaino show car polish. The car looked amazing. I was so happy that I then did the same procedure on my Explorer with excellent results.

Barbie

Clay is good, but won't get pits out of glass, new glass works though.

Thanks for all the input!!! My Clay Bar is on the way...should be here any day now. Now only if the weather would cooperate....... Been more like winter than spring here at the Jersey Shore AAARRRGH!!!:mad

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom