Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anyone ever had a family member/friend ask to borrow your vette?

ProEMTPFF

Corvette
1986 Coupe Silver Beige/Medium Brown Metallic
Well so far I've only had one person have the nerve to ask to drive the car.......my brother in-law. My answer was
crazy.gif
"What?......are you on crack?.....NO you can't!!"
crazy.gif
. This was witnessed by others on my wifes side of the family "lots of laughs from them" and I have never since had anyone ask again. I am more than happy to take them for rides with me behind the wheel. Has anyone ever had a family member or friend ask to borrow your vette? What did you say? I can't believe the nerve of some people!
willy_nilly.gif
eek6.gif
eek6.gif
willy_nilly.gif

No one has come right out and asked to drive it, but we have offered rides and supervised drives to several people. Usually, anyone who poses the question is obviously joking and we have a laugh.
We do have a mechanic friend who tried to finagle an unsupervised drive...he was going to install the bushings at his shop and offered to take it to the shop and bring it back for me...but I politely declined because I've seen how he drives HIS vehicles and I would never allow him behind the wheel of the 78 without me close enough to smack him upside the head if he got squirrely.
Heidi

Never had anyone ask. I've only taken a few people for rides. I let one guy drive it in the parking lot once while I was in the passenger seat. Another time, I let a co worker take it a mile down the road to get us some food. :)

I've let several people drive with me as a passenger.

Both of my brothers have borrowed the car at one time or another for some fun drives. My youngest brother took it from LA to Vegas in the mid 1980s. . .

I've even let my wife take it out a few times alone! :)

Yes and I would not hesitate to lend it to them. Just last Wensday night my wifes unkle took the 66 to a car cruise.I had NO fear of him using it.He had restored a 61 in 1979 and I used to watch him hand rub the shine out of the laquer paint he painted it with,

My babysiter use's my wifes C5 while we are away on vacation. I also have a 1967 Cadillac Deville Convertable that has been in more parades and weddings then I could count with out me in the drivers seat. Every one around me knows how hard I work on my cars and how important they are to me,so I know they will take good care of them.

I will not lend the 66 out to someone unless I know they have been behind the wheel of a muscle car. Its real easy to get in over your head with that car

I let everyone in my immediate family (dad, mom, sister, brother, son) take mine for a short spin after I first got her. Since then, just my girlfriend gets to take an occasional turn behind the wheel. Oh yea, I did let the former owner drive it once while I was in the passenger seat.

IH2LOSE said:
My babysiter use's my wifes C5 while we are away on vacation.

You guys need another babysitter? :D

Can't remember where I read it but a few months ago a Vette owner's friend asked if his teenager could borrow it to drive in a parade. After further investigation, the friend admitted he was going to be out of town that weekend. Teenager, unsupervised, with a friends Corvette. Is that nerve or what???

My wife can drive it whenever she wants to. After all it was her idea to get it.:)

I let my daughter take it sometimes when she is home for a visit.

I've had a couple of people ask. I let one of the engineers I work with take it for a drive in our parking lot once, and I also let another friend who has owned more corvettes than you can count, take it for a short ride. I was in the car with both of them. My wife doesn't know how to drive a stick, which is a real shame.:D
I also had a nephew ask if he could take it to his prom if it "doesn't rain, and there's no snow or gravel on the roads?"

I "thinK" he was serious!:)

Yes!

This weekend one of my best friends asked why she hasn't had a ride in the car yet and when she gets to drive it!!! LOL Her excuse... because I made her driver my Porsche Boxster to teach her how to drive a manual. ;LOL

I have had two fairly persistent men with C5s offer their keys to me in exchange for mine for a spin. I was too nervous I'd wreck their car, and declined the offer.

I offered to my brother-in-law to take it and my sister for a spin while hung out and baby-sitted for them. My Mom (who declined) and my Dad, too. My girlfriend has driven it, but is scared to death of wrecking it.

Nobody else had asked. But, I don't see why I'd say no. Its meant to be enjoyed and driven!

I have let my wife and oldest son drive mine, and when other people ask I usually reply with this line: "yes, just as long as you post a $20,000 cash bond"
I have given many rides in both cars to friends and family.
Having a 19 year old in the house means I lock up the keys in the gun cabinet when I go anywhere longer then an hour; better to be safe then sorry :D

I've let a couple people drive with me in the car, and let one friend borrow it for the weekend (for his wedding anniversary). Couple other people I trust implicitly that I would let drive it, including one former co-worker who lent me his numbers-matching '65 coupe for a whole weekend when I proposed to my wife... and Sothpaw, who's lent me his 93 a couple of times. Oh, and my dad, who has probably never gone above the speed limit in his life.

Not sure about Mad Mic, though :). I've seen how he treats his!! :)

[RICHR]

My son has driven mine and can do so whenever he wants. He is a Ford guy (was raised differently but still wouldn't listen to dad) and could never live it down if he caused damage because he couldn't handle a Chevy product.
I let my neighbor take his friend for a ride once because he has let me drive his '55 Chev 2 dr 350 4 speed.
A few others have asked but fortunately couldn't drive a stick so I didn't have to refuse. Anyone else who knows the car also knows that the underside is as clean or cleaner than the top side and won't even ask for a ride.

I have let all of my immediate family drive my vette mom, dad, and my brother. Every once in a while my bro and I will switch off to see if anyone can tell the difference. So far nobody can. ;)

Justin

I never let anyone drive my car , without me offering first. I will let resposible friends drive it for the same thrill that I enjoy. I enjoy that first time exhilaration on their faces. I let a close friend drive my vert back from Carlisle. I know he was hooked, when I drove up to Carlisle. The ride back was the closer. I know he could handle it, he has an AMG CLK55. I think that car is as fast/faster than a Z06. Over the years , I have let a select few drive, while I was shotgun. Why not, things are meant to enjoy and share.... After all , didn't you want to jump into the birdseat?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom