Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anyone ever had a family member/friend ask to borrow your vette?

I let (2) of my brother-in-laws take it around the block, no one else - and unfortunately, (yeah right!) my poor wife can't drive stick.
Tom

Back in the 80's when I had my 81 vette, my sister asked to drive it to town once with a friend of our's and I said no, and have regretted it ever since, because what is more important, a CAR or Family. I now own a 95 vette, and have offered to let both my sister and brother borrow it when ever they want, but neither of them have taken me up on my offer as of yet.
No one loves their vette anymore than I do mine, but come on guys it is just a car, A GREAT CAR, but just a car.
Goose

Goose said:
No one loves their vette anymore than I do mine, but come on guys it is just a car, A GREAT CAR, but just a car.
Goose
Yes and no. In my original post I failed to mention my brother in-law does'nt even take care of his things so how can I expect him to take care of mine? I refuse to let ANYONE drive my car if they cannot replace it and or will not take of it like I do. It is not just a car its my car paid for my hard earned money to either care for or destroy if I choose to do so.

Yes

My best friend's son approached me last spring and asked to borrow it for his prom. I thought, why not? It will make a good memory for he and his girl. However, I wanted him to be comfortable with the car, so I agreed to the arrangement provided he and I spent some time in the car together prior to his prom night. I did this for a few reasons, mostly to make sure he was familar with all the controls and the handling, and to allow me time to judge his capability with the car. He listened well, and respected my instruction. All ended well and they enjoyed a cool Michigan evening with the top down.

Wife and daughter drive it occassionally, but not frequently.

I'm over 2 meters long, nobody dares to ask me. If they pay for the gas, i'll drive them anywhere. Sometimes my wife will drive our '86 convertible but since the car is driving her it just doesn't feel very pleasant...

It's only a car!

Hi

Three weeks ago l drove to my cousins house and he has four son's, but only one that has a license. His first car (new) last 15 days before he totaled it and this was only 4 months ago.

Anyway when l pulled up to his house he couldn't keep his eye's off it and it's only a 96 Lt1. Making a long story short l flipped him the keys and said please bring it back in one piece. My cousin jumped into the passenger seat and his son jumped behind the wheel. Twenty five minutes later they came back grinning like little kids and believe me my cousin could buy a C6 without thinking twice about it.

He e-mailed me yesterday that he saw a 67 vette on ebay at $54,000 and climbing with 3 days to go. He was losing it, l had to calm him down.

So l told him to take my vette for a weekend before he steps out for one. What l cannot understand is that he just got rid of a Porsche, so why a vette.

Then l remembered l got him involved years ago in SCCA racing with B prod vettes and it's in his blood.

Alan

Corvette is not "only a car"... It is an animal... Once a person gets used to driving a Vette it gets under his / her skin... Corvette is a Corvette... Please do not call it "only a car" dude!!!

A true story...

I was a fairly good student in high school and my family was doing pretty good in financial terms; my father was managing director of an industrial company then. But they were raising 3 sons at the same time and there was not much money to spend for leisure.

Hell broke loose in Turkey in mid 1970's and there was anarchy in the streets and universities. Pratically it was 15 to 20 young people getting killed between the left & right wing anarchy everyday. I was unable to attend my school and my father proposed to send me to college in UK - lots and lots of money? Yes!!! And he did it. So I attended college in UK and graduated with no delay. My family of course had to spend a lot of money to support my college tuition and everything else related with studying abroad. At that time my old man was making a plan to buy a Nova, all you guys and girls know it, but had to spend the money for my education. So he ended up never having an American car.

Many many years later I bought my Corvette... We are the only one in the family who owns an American car. Brothers, sisters, cousins, uncles, aunts - no one else has an American. That's beside the point but tells you US cars are very rear here since they are expensive to buy, drive and maintain.

Thanks Lord my father is still alive but it is a shame he never got to see the Vette since we live in different towns far from each other. He is a MSc Mechanical Engineer and therefore appreciates a 5.7 Liter monster with 300 Hp quite easily. Now if he asked for the car no doubt it is his; no problem at all. In that respect "it is only a car"... But if someone else asks to drive it? No way Jose...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forgive me for thou art sinned.

Alan

FX GS said:
SSTibet said:
Corvette is not "only a car"... It is an animal............./QUOTE]

Grrrrrrrrrrr
Sure it is an animal, but made from metal / plastic / whatever... I love it best when I step on the gas and it accelarates with the roaaaaaring exahaust tone... It sounds like "rooooarrrggggghhhhhh"

So Florida Guy your saying a teenager cannot respect and handle a Corvette :D ?

Trev, welcome to the small and elite group of young vette owners. It is an anomaly to find someone who appreciates and respects the vette at a young age. I wonder, would you loan your car to a friend whose family member wanted to drive it? I wouldn't, no matter how old he was.

I would, and have, offered to let another vette owner drive my car. In all cases I offered first- they didn't ask first.

I let Mr. Schroder drive the vette when his truck was out of commission. He even grudgingly enjoyed it.

I have been asked by 2 people to drive the vette. One was a brother-in-law who had declined years earlier to let me drive his oooh-la-la SS Camaro. There was nothing sweeter than repeating his words back to him: "Oh, I don't think that's a good idea. I don't think you'd be able to handle it" :D

The 2nd person to ever ask is my son. Although I feel uneasy about it, I let him drive it when he was 16 with me in the car. And I let him take it on a date when he was 17. (Is that a tear of joy in his eye? :L) This year, I let him have it and drive it for 2 weeks while I drove his car, when my minivan broke down and I needed a way to transport the kids. (And once, he took it without my permission. I took a lot of flak from some members when that happened.) He is generally responsible, holds it in awe, and even drives it with more respect than I do.

And he has returned the favor to me by asking me if I wanted to take his sportbike out for a spin. Of COURSE I took him up on it :D

Drive it! They are afraid to even touch it. :L I think I should amend this as there is a reason. Two daughters, #1 is two years out of law school and is now driving my 2002 SS convertible that I thought was safely hidden away in my Camaro collection. #2 is still in college and now driving #1`s 1995 Z28 convertible. #2 is the problem as she is running my Vette collection out of Vettes. She wrecked {totaled} my wifes 1986 Vette and I then gave her my 1984 Z51 4+3 to drive and she promptly had that one, {my favorite} stolen. The 1962 was at the house last summer and I let #2 drive it to get some soda pop at the corner gas station. When she got back she said she was so scared to drive it she almost peed her pants. Now as a result, they wont even touch it. :upthumbs

Yes

A guy I work with asked if his teenage son could take it to the prom. He said that he would have it back around 3am. when he left an after prom party.:beer I think when he saw the look on my face, he figured there was no way in hell, so he just walked away. Maybe my own kid, bot not some kid I don't even know. :(

Schroder, of COURSE not! ;) Not even my own mother. I really do respect the Vette, not just as a car. Dad has had several in times past, and its a bad addiction...well not so bad. After driving my own first Corvette, I can say theres no feeling in the world like it. I have to sell my 57 and my 00 Mustang to cover for it, but I'll gladly do it! The only bad thing is..it hasn't a scratch one on it, 12 years old and 10k miles I'm afraid to take it anywhere :) . The daily driver truck will have to make most of the trips. Thanks for the welcome, look to be around Vette's and their people for a long time!

Trev_427Vette said:
So Florida Guy your saying a teenager cannot respect and handle a Corvette :D ?
Who ever he is, Florida Guy is right buddy... A teenager cannot respect and handle a Corvette....

1. Most probably the Corvette is financed by the parents...
2. Most probably he / she has a boy / girlfriend & likes showing off...
3. Most probably he / she loves power (paid by parents)...
4. Most probably does not appreciate consequences of speeding with a 300Hp or higher animal...

Florida Guy is 150% right and that is exactly why my kids are not allowed to drive my Corvette; it is for their benefit as well as mine...

Okay SS, I'm not going to argue the point with you. Just to answer those statements you posted, #1 I'm selling my Mustang and 57 in order to pay for the car, I could explain how I got them but it'd be a long story. Point being, it's not money given to me, I earn it believe me. #2, I do have one, but so far, and always, the car will never leave the garage for school, to a friends house, or wherever. It stays in the garage, I clean it up everytime I drive it into dad's shop. I care about it, I care about my cars. We don't show boat them, period. #3, It really doesn't give me a sense of power, most people around me except the ones who have saw it don't even know I have a Vette. Many do know that my dad and I share a love for the Vettes, and other cars. #4, In I believe around 1968, my father was in a wreck in a 63 Vette. To quickly sum it up, someone was sitting sideways in the middle of the road below a small knoll and they were traveling at a high rate of speed (130+), backed it into a fence and completely demolished the car. My dad's friend died. Dad was pronounced dead, but somehow made it. Like I said, I RESPECT the car. He's now 62, believe me hes taught me respect from an old school perspective. So, since we are speaking on terms of probability, do you think a race car driver is more likely to not speed, show off, and do stupid things on the road? Just wondering your opinion...

Back in 1969 I had a pride and joy....I had bought a new 1969 BB427/435 HP convert. with auto...ordered it special..took 6 months to get it...I called her black beauty...got married in 1970... the wife took it to the car wash (which I would never do) as she left the car wash she got on it... it did from what I heard about 4 loop tee loops in the middle of a 4 lane road till she got it stopped... she then got out and took a cab home... the police had the car towed to my home... she told me it was her or the car....something was going to leave...SO I MADE THE BIGGEST MISTAKE IN MY LIFE... I sold my pride and joy....I now find out that it was a rare makeup of that machine......To make a long story short she left in 1984 and I have not let anyone drive the many corvettes that I have had sence.....Maybe I'm just selfish,,,but I don't want anyone to lose the life over my car..I will take many persons for rides most any time...but I will drive....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom