Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anyone have antique plates on their car?

I have antique plates on my 72. In Minnesota they are called collector plates. They are plain off-white with black numerals. Owners are cautioned not to use their old collector plated cars as daily drivers. A one time fee and no sales tax is the benefit.

One guy told me he always kept an old part of some kind in the back so if he was pulled over he could say he was going to the auto parts store......;squint:

I have had historic plates on the '70 Corvette for several year. One time cost in MO of about $26 - it also helps me get historic vehicle insurance with State Farm - about $60 for 6 months for full coverage. Now that my '82 Camaro is 25 years old I am doing the same thing for it - insurance will be about $47 every 6 months for it. Missouri historic plates limit you to driving to and from club events plus 1,000 miles per year other driving, which is more than I ever drive the 'Vette. You have to keep a log of trips other than club events but you don't write down odometer readings ever - just how far the trip was.

"... it also helps me get historic vehicle insurance with State Farm - about $60 for 6 months for full coverage. Now that my '82 Camaro is 25 years old I am doing the same thing for it - insurance will be about $47 every 6 months for it..."

Wow, $214 per year for both cars... that's great!

I'm paying $320 per year for my '69 Corvette and '72 Camaro using Hagerty's - and I thought that was a good rate. Doh!

Just curious.. Does anyone have collector plates on their car in Ohio ? I have regular plates at the moment and am considering changing ...

Thanks !:w

Tom

Tom,

Hope all is well in Summit. I had Historical plates on my 73 and then found a set of 73 plates on E-Bay. All I did was take my historical reigstration to the BMV abd they re-registered my 73 plates to the car for about $5.00. Once you get the historic plates (think I paid $44.00) you never have to buy plates for the car again....unless your still alive in the year 2055!

Gee Joe..
I will be 94 in 2055.. not sure I want all that hassle then !? I could seriously hurt myself trying to put the new plate on ?:)

Your plate is pretty cool.. how did you manage to land a plate starting with a V and just numbers ???

1981 plates dont show the year.. unless it still has a sticker attached to the lower right corner.. I think they ran the blue on white plate from 81 to 83 ? I like the cost benefit as it was $53 this year to register.

I wonder what the C22 will look like in '55 ?

Tom

Let's see...I'll be 96 so I will see you in another place. I just kept looking for Ohio plates on E-bay and finally saw the V plate. They are in good shape and I ended up getting them for $22.00. I will be driving one of those C-22's in hell I hope...lol

plates

I live in Ohio, you can buy the antique plates and run plates of the year of car you just have to have the antique plates in your car, I have a 68 Mustang that I do this. You can also buy collector plates instead of antique, this exempts you from emmission testing, any Corvette is entitle to this.I switch to the antique plates on the vette , you have a one time charge mytoy

Looks like Plate Depoy has nice looking 81 plates for $2.99 each

Looks like Plate Depoy has nice looking 81 plates for $2.99 each

I just went there.. looks like it is only one plate though ? Nice set of 81 Mobile Home plates... I wonder if I could get away with that ?:)

Thanks for the tip though.. I will check there and also ebay every now and then.

Tom

Okay.. Just so I have this right.

In OH you purchase the regular collector's plates... but can keep them in the car.. and put plates from the year of the car on the car ? From 81 to 84 OH used the same plate style.. Can I just get a matching pair from anyone of those years (all undated btw..other than the renewal sticker).

Thanks Guys !

Tom

That should be fine. I don't keep the collector plates in the car. Once I had the 73 plates registed they gave me a new registration for the V-800 plates. The new registration has the old historical plate under old plate and then V-800 typed in as model year plate under that

Thanks Joe !

That is what I will do.... Slim chance of finding an interesting plate like yours though with these lame 81 to 84 OH plates. The format for them seems to be 3 numbers.. then 3 letters.. but I will keep looking !:)

Tom

In Tennessee one can get a permanent $25.00 antique tag for any non-modified original vehicle over 25 years old, with the same driving restrictions as Mass.

I have them on my '38 Pontiac, '59 Chev Biscayne, '67 T-Bird fordor and '78 Silver Anniversary 'Vette, all of which are modified and hotrodded and driven regularly. I plan to put them on my box-stock '82 C-10 pickup this year. I have seen several drastic rods at car shows sporting antique tags.

I have also talked to several cop pals of mine about it, they tell me they have never issued a citation to a car for antique tags, nor do they know of any of their colleagues who have.

Dave

It's been a while since I lived in MA, but still only 1/4 mile north of the border.
Most folks don't get hassled by the police over antique plate usage.
Just remember to always have a suitable excuse ... like I'm driving my vette
to have the wiring checked , etc.

I wanted NH antique plates, but there is a 6 character limit.
My plate is "NHVETTE" ... 7 characters. The nice thing up here is that
you can get a custom plate in antique. For example, if my plate was
NHVETT, I could have a commercial plate on one car, antique on another,
a trailer ... and even a veteran plate on another car - all with the same plate #.

My wife's is short, so she even gets hers on her truck and her Harley "KIMME".
5 character limit for bikes.
-Dave

I thought about this at one time.....they only cost $10 here in Michigan, I was told its ok as long as you only going to a show or with in 15 miles of home.
Well, I like to run, and Im always far from home. I like vanity tags, every year I get a new one.
These are all my tags,
4ESCAPE
BOUTIME
CHASBRO
I just went back on the night shift so this year is going to reflect that in FLYBYNT...(Think of the RUSH song)
We were going to use URCNA73 but have changed our mind with my recent job change.
Your log name here would be a cool vanity tag on the back of your sweet ride.
Just my thoughts....:w

Chas
I registered my '81 this year (in Michigan) as "historic" -- and the fee was $35. Same restrictions I see above, no daily driver, etc. I have an old plate (79 with an 81 sticker) on it now. Michigan would not let me register it that way last year, since the law states the vehicle must be "more than" 25 years old to qualify. ;shrug
My personalized plate last year read 81C3 and I would have loved to keep it, but I can't use the historic designation if I do that (which saves a ton in registration fees). Plus, my insurance gives me a break, knowing the car is "officially" designated historic.

Yup, next year we are going year correct plate....so this year I find both plates of '73 and register it for $35 and never again pay for registration or renewal until its sold or scrapped. I was told to look for both plates so the matching plate isnt already registered....
Now I just need to find a good looking Michigan plate from 1973 and life will get better:cool

Chas

(Where you at Herron?)

Yup, next year we are going year correct plate....so this year I find both plates of '73 and register it for $35 and never again pay for registration or renewal until its sold or scrapped. I was told to look for both plates so the matching plate isnt already registered....
Now I just need to find a good looking Michigan plate from 1973 and life will get better:cool

Chas

(Where you at Herron?)
There are several online sites selling plates...I'm not at home or I'd add the link to a couple. They're on eBay too...but waiting for a decent one in the right year can take a while!

I'm about 40 miles north of Detroit. You? (and that yellow '73 is a pretty ride)!

I bought a nice set of 68 Ohio plates at the Lima Ohio swap meet and have seen plates at flea markets also. When this registration come dueI'm going with the 68 plates.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom