Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anyone have Porsche and/or Corvette specs?

V

vetteZ06dream

any one have Porsche and/or Corvette specs?

i'm a huge corvette fan, i love the z06, but my dad is a huge porsche fan, he loves the boxter, we keep finding new things about each that is better than the other, we've been going at each other for a while now. does anyone have the performance specs of the z06 and porsche, so we can decide once and for all which is the better performance car?

Click on the Model Center tab at the top of this page. Select 2001-2002 Z06 and on that page you will find a Z06 Performance Review link. There's your data. :)

The June Consumer Reports has the base Vette and Boxster. I'll let it go at that.

Z06 vs Boxster S

I own one of each, and each has it's strong points. The Z06 is faster in the quarter mile easily. 60-100 mph, the Z06 would probably win again. AS far a a race on mountain roads with a lot of curves the Boxster S would easily prevail. Both cars are extremely good in 4th gear at freeway speeds++ I cannot find anything that either one can not do. The Corvette seems to suck out the ricky racers from everywhere. The Porsche seem to get a little more respect, even though it is slower. Both are the type of automobile that renews your excitement in driving again, just to the market for a quart of milk. The Z06 (2001) has 385 horsepower from 346 cubic inches:the 2001 Boxster S has 252 from 196 cubic inches. If you told me I had to get rid of one I would keep the Porsche. If you had asked me the same question when I was 30 yrs old I would have kept the Corvette.
I, having been in both Corvette and Porsche clubs, believe the Corvette is given more respect and acknowledment from the Porsche guys than the other way around. Everyone has had a couple of girl or boy friends that stand out in your memories. Its kinda like comparing the two of them. However in comparing the Boxster S to the Z06 I don't believe there is a looser!

Re: Z06 vs Boxster S

ZR100060 said:
I own one of each, and each has it's strong points. The Z06 is faster in the quarter mile easily. 60-100 mph, the Z06 would probably win again. AS far a a race on mountain roads with a lot of curves the Boxster S would easily prevail. Both cars are extremely good in 4th gear at freeway speeds++ I cannot find anything that either one can not do. The Corvette seems to suck out the ricky racers from everywhere. The Porsche seem to get a little more respect, even though it is slower. Both are the type of automobile that renews your excitement in driving again, just to the market for a quart of milk. The Z06 (2001) has 385 horsepower from 346 cubic inches:the 2001 Boxster S has 252 from 196 cubic inches. If you told me I had to get rid of one I would keep the Porsche. If you had asked me the same question when I was 30 yrs old I would have kept the Corvette.
I, having been in both Corvette and Porsche clubs, believe the Corvette is given more respect and acknowledment from the Porsche guys than the other way around. Everyone has had a couple of girl or boy friends that stand out in your memories. Its kinda like comparing the two of them. However in comparing the Boxster S to the Z06 I don't believe there is a looser!
Wow....this is an awesome comparison!!! Thanks for sharing this ZR.

Both are good cars.

The Corvette, and the Z in particular, was primarily designed for the US and US roads (and tracks). The Porsche was primarily designed for Europe and European roads. Everything else pretty much follows.

Smaller, short wheelbase cars always seem more nimble, although that doesn't necessarily mean superior cornering power. Conversely, they also tend to have less directional stability.

The early C4 Z51's were, in some respects, a lot more fun to drive than the C5's and even Z's. They were more nimble and responsive since they had a Boxster-like 96 inch wheelbase and quick steering. IMO, that's the Vette for mountain roads.

The C5 steering is, IMO, way slow and makes the 104-inch wheelbase seem more lazy than it is. Of course, the numbers that were shown do not reflect the higher output '02Z which most consider to be a slightly different animal.

What is the MSRP on the Boxster?

I like the look of the Boxster, but it could be just a little bit bigger. Then again, any convertible looks good.

It really is a matter of taste and preference. I perfer the Vette, but others may perfer a Porsche. He has a 2000 911. I know someone who has a Boxster and he is having problems like replacing the clutch, new tires, and brakes all with less than 10,000 miles. It is only 1 1/2 years old. Needless to say he is a bit upset. He always wanted a Porsche, but said he will never get one again. No one I know ever said that about a Vette!

Match Up Performance

You ask about performance and with that in mind here are the acceleration numbers on the Z06 (both years), 2001-911 Tw-Turbo, 2002 GT2. We had a small match recently and you can see that the differences with the Z06s and 911 T-Turbo are very small.

The test numbers on the Boxster are from a different test period.

Hope this helps: Weather- 75 degree/41% Humidity/No wind
Surface- Black top 1/3 mile strip
Equipment- Vericom Pro 2000 "real time" computer

Vehicles Conditions: All Stock Units
Conditions: Test done in both directions / Two non-pro drivers
altitude: 1002ft.
No Power shifting

TEST RESULTS:

0-60mph 60-100mph 0-100mph 1/4 mile
----------- --------------- ------------- ----------------
Z06 (01) 4.50 sec 4.55 sec 8.83 sec 12.3@113mph
Z06 (02) 4.47 sec 4.59 sec 8.82 sec 12.2@114mph
911 TT(01) 4.29 sec 4.90 sec 9.02 sec 12.3@116mph
GT2 (02) 4.01 sec 4.04 sec 7.81 sec 11.8@122mph
Boxster "S" 6.22 sec 7.89 sec 13.79 sec 14.3@102mph

NET Horsepower checks on all vehicle showed the following:

Z06 (01) 398hp**
Z06 (02) 414hp***
911TT (01) 419hp*
GT2 (02) 491hp*

** Average HP/Torque on the 2001 Z06 that we have tested runs 396hp/ 408lbs-ft.

*** Average HP/Torque on the 2002 Z06 that we have tested runs 419hp/ 422lbs-ft.

* Understating HP is normal when it comes to Porsche products. This is not a put down. You will always get your monies worth with Porsche with regards to all models accept the Boxster series (based on performance vs. price).

Sorry about the alignment.....
Stan A
APTL

Stan, so the two ZO6's you tested ran higher hp #'s than stock? Sorry, i know that just b/c it's rated @ 385/405 doesn't mean it actually has that much, i guess i'm @ a loss for words to see it be that high. But, if you can clairify more, that would be appreciated.

And yeah, it's all a matter of taste/preferance. My dad always being a Corvette fan, i've always lingered more towards the 'vette, but do give some props to some Porsche guys. I knew a guy w/ an old 944 who treated that thing like it was a queen...was a fun lil car, he took me for a ride when i was about 12. Didn't quite change my mind, but i can respect people for going w/ what they like. And Stan and Rob, and some of the rest of the more informative guys, ya'll help us younger people out a lot. Glad ya'll are here to keep us newbies informed...ya'll do a good job @ it, keep it up :upthumbs

Horsepower rating

The big three manufacturers use what is commonly referred to as the 10% up or down rule when it comes to horsepower. True, these cars are rated 385 and 405, however, they could be under the rated figure as well as over. The reason for this basic rule is that the big three contract out for most parts used in building their cars and trucks. Since all winning bids are related to the "best prices", quality control may slip with regards to finished products these companies supply. This is very true when it comes to engines. Companies like Porsche who hand build more than half of each car have better quality controls when it comes to what they will use in the building of each of their automobiles (and SUV very soon). Also their cars cost more than the average car.

With all of this in mind, cars like the Corvettes and Mustangs which have pure assembly setups and produce large amounts of cars, will tend to assemble motors that will very more in power values. In the past most these cars would have as many units under the rated HP as they would on the number or over. Only with the Z06 model has Chevy been able to produce more consistancy with quality standards and therefore build more Z06 that have more HP than rated. I applaud GM for this.

Porsche give the buying public more than they advertise. This as stated has been common pratice since the early 1980's. Any car nut would appreciate this. The reason for this is that Porsche has a reputation of performance. The second reason is that it is better to understand for insurance purposes. The main reason is that reputation!

Dealing with all kinds of performance and sports cars every years gives us the opportunity to measure changes and improvements. Porsche is one of the leaders when it comes to this. Again, smaller production numbers and better suppliers are the keys.

Thanks for all the kind words. helping each other is the way it should be. We learn like this. Not a day goes by that I don't learn something from a post here on the CAC.

Take care,
Stan

So that explains it...

The 0-60 in 4 seconds on the 02' Z06 is accomplished with powershifting and a professional driver!

Will powershifting damage your tranny? I've heard it both ways that it won't affect your car at all and the other side was that it'll totally mess your vehicle up.

4 second run!

According to the Chevy testing format used to achieve the 4.0 sec or 3.9 sec 0-60mph, GM did the following:

Launched at 3200rpm
Professional Drivers
Two gallons of gas on board
Tire air level reduced 20% in rear
Standard shifting...No power shifting
Used a solid "black top" road surface
Tested in doors
converted results to 70 degrees test frame
Shifted at 6000rpm

As to whether power shifting is bad, the answer is a big yes. The Tremac does not handle this action very well and it will cause clutch related issues too. Usually the guides go first. David F here at Tom Jumper Chevy every week is rebuilding these units. They even fail on their own through regular use.

So far I believe that only a single claim of 4 seconds or less has been made by a national publication.This was last year and when I contacted them about their test precedurers, I got the "cold shoulder". It is also important to note that the magazine in question had a lot of Chevy and Corvette related ads running! This seems to happen every now and then. Strange....

Have a good one............

thanx

thanx guys and gals for all the opinions and specs to back them up, think my dad and i will be arguing for a long time now :argue:)

Keep us posted!

Thank you.......................

I totally agree with you.........Keep the dream alive!

The Z06 is worth the wait!!

Stan

Sorry I have to ask this, but I've never even been in a Porsche, but aren't some of their manual transmission vehicles equipped with the paddle shifters? Or should I say the non conventional between the driver and passenger seat?

The Porsche offers a "Tiptronic" auto that you can manually shift(without the use of a clutch), or elect to put the trans in "D" for a automatic mode. It could be called a paddle shifter, but there are two shifter buttons on the steering wheel. for upshifts and downshifts. The floor mounted shifter can also be used to shift. IMHO the "Tiptronic" is very effective once you have attained 40+ MPH, it is very quick. However this tranny is slow off the line. Porsche never has been, with exceptions, a straight line racer.
If you have never been in a Porsche you should take one for a test drive. I guarantee you will be impressed!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom