Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anyone Install a 700R4 in a midyear?

4WDVETTE

Corvette
1966 Coupe
Thinking abount changing the turbo 400 in my 66 big block coupe to a 700R4 for the overdrive. What should I be thinking about before I jump in?

Steve

Thinking abount changing the turbo 400 in my 66 big block coupe to a 700R4 for the overdrive. What should I be thinking about before I jump in?

Steve

Hey steve... Talk to Rob English... He just finished a car for Joe Costa that I did the custom wiring on that had the new GM I think it's the 6L80 E 6 speed. It was droped into a tube frame made by I think SRS . It was bolted up to a SB crate motor .

They did have some problems running the exhust around the midyera body underside. But Rodey's Exhaust did the deal really nice. Give Rob a call . Go for the new 6L80E 6 Speed auto.. it rocks.:beer

HI there,
My first Corvette project was the Miss Mako in 2000, in which I installed a 700R4 into a 64 convertible.

That was a fun project and the only thing I had to do was shorten the driveshaft and slightly modify the cross member.

BUT, I would be hesitant to install the 700 behind a big block.

The torque capacity wouldnt be enough, IMO, to handle it.

6L80 would be the better bet for durability but would definately require more work.

Allthebest, c4c5

Thanks for both replies. Sounds like the 6L80 might be a better way to go. Hey Mark, maybe time for another tranny swap party, except for this one the engine comes out too. I will get in touch with Rob and pick his brain a little. Will have to do some home work before this all takes place but I gotta lower the rpm's some - sidepipes drive the missus crazy after about an hour!

Steve

Thanks for both replies. Sounds like the 6L80 might be a better way to go. Hey Mark, maybe time for another tranny swap party, except for this one the engine comes out too. I will get in touch with Rob and pick his brain a little. Will have to do some home work before this all takes place but I gotta lower the rpm's some - sidepipes drive the missus crazy after about an hour!

Steve

If You go with the 6L80E6 and stay with side pipes you will iliminate the exhust routing problem around the tranny and the busks to do it. As far as the Mrs. goes.. Ear Pluds would be cheaper then a rerouting of the pipes around the tranny as it fits very close to all areas around the tunnel and blocks the holes in the X Member wher the pipes would pass through.

But it will give you fantastic performance. I have one in me Stock HUMMER H2..which weighs 8600lbs unloaded. It can also me moded for Paddel shift on the column..It is a dyamite tranny. Check in with Rob ..He'll give you the skinny.

Maybe we can have a Tranny party at your joint this time... With out Dudly..L.O.L.:D

Paul and Mark - already got her an ipod - which helps. Sidepipes will always be on the car so there won't be any rerouting issues. Will have to call Rob to follow up with questions. Mark - Mr. electronics guy - from what I have read, the only wiring issue seems to be a circuit for the converter lock up. Doesn't look too complicated, for an accountant anyway. Your thoughts?

Steve

Paul and Mark - already got her an ipod - which helps. Sidepipes will always be on the car so there won't be any rerouting issues. Will have to call Rob to follow up with questions. Mark - Mr. electronics guy - from what I have read, the only wiring issue seems to be a circuit for the converter lock up. Doesn't look too complicated, for an accountant anyway. Your thoughts?

Steve

Didin't hook up the paddel switch on his..don't know... I'd have to see the skid's...but the HUMMER H2 and the Vette both have an up switch ...and a down switch for up shifting and down shifting which works in conjunction with the selection of "D" OR "M" on the floor shifter ...Of course "M " neaning manual:D

Shouldn't be to hard to hook up for a Cave man... The hardest part is the pull cable that runs fromm the tranny to the carb linkage to fiqure out WTF your doing at what time.:D

Thanks for a couple more things to think about. Going to call Dewey and have him search out a trans for me - then - time to play and see what happens.

Steve

Thanks for a couple more things to think about. Going to call Dewey and have him search out a trans for me - then - time to play and see what happens.

Steve

Oh No............Not the Mad Man Dewey..!!! He'll have you install a Dragster tranny;LOL

There is no way in hell that the 6L trans will fit in the trans tunnel without some major surgery. That trans is a monster! The 4L80 trans will fit, but it is tight. I have put the 4L trans in midyears, but I have made a new crossmember with the exhaust holes moved outboard to allow exhaust to be run. A guy over at the CF has put a 6L trans in a C2, but it was a lot of work. He goes by "Poorhousenext". I just put a 6L trans in a 67 Chevelle, and I had to cut a lot of sheetmetal. The trans is very tall and is very wide. Unlike the 4L trans and the 700 which are only wide at the bottom, the 6L stays wide almost all the way to the top. Pan clearance is always a problem with the 6L trans as well, so you can't really just lower the tailshaft of the trans. Also, the computer that controls the 6L trans is inside the trans and needs to communicate with a late-model ECM to work properly. I don't know if anyone has built a stand-alone interface for the 6L trans. The computer in the trans talks over a CAN network that has all the other computers in the car talking to it giving information, and it would be one hell of a job to replicate that info to the trans. The PCI 6 speed is actually not built on the 6L platform because of this problem. The 6L trans is a great trans, but it really needs to be behind a LS3 or similar motor.

Here is a are some pics of the 6L trans and some of the 4L for comparison.

VillagePhotos member album

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/339303/Picture 015.jpg

The 700 can be built to last behind almost any big block, if properly built.

Regards, John McGraw

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom