Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Anyone Over 65 Years Old and . . . . . ?

Only have 1 Vette thats Not a standard shift,the 01 ZO6 and 03 Z-51 coupe are 6 spd's!:thumb:thumb:thumb
I do my own maintenance,and for several others too!:D

(58 GOING ON 90)

Anyone out there over 65 years old and driving a 6 speed? What year?
Who does the mechanics on your ride, you or a shop?
thumbsup.gif

Sure.... But I'm only 67 ... lol

Actually only one of my Corvettes has a 6 speed......my 98 which I purchased for my retirement years new in 1998...
3 others have a 4 speed .... 64 73 and 76 and two are automatics,...(79 and an 88 35th anniv ... Plus my daily driver (a Truck has a 5 speed...

90 percent of the wrenching I do... when I absolutely need to have a real mechanic look at the car it sure does not go to the dealer...I have a C2 and C3 mechanic and a C4 and C5 Mechanic that I use if and only if I need their skills...

Bob G

Do you have a service manual for the '98? :D

Do you have a service manual for the '98? :D

You bet.... 3 volumes IF my memory is correct....

However ... I find driving my 98 more relaxing then either my 64 or 72..

By relaxing I mean the adrenalin does not flow nearly as fast when I'm driving the C5... so I think I can relate to yoru comment..

Bob G

94 yrs old according to my profile .:) I enjoy workin' my way up the gears till I hit 120 mph ,thats when I set my cruise control .:thumb

Still do my own general maintenance and service work.The rest is done by GM Junkie

I am 65, the only auto is the wifes DD. the '66 has a 4 speed, '01 Z06 has a 6 speed, the pickup has a 5 speed. Some times I need to think what the pattern is. I have always done most of the work,:pat

Signature says it all: 69 in a couple of weeks and my Vettes have all been 6 speed, but giving serious thought about auto on my next one. Like everything else I do anymore... it's shifts faster. :cry

Work on my car? Why? Isn't that why God invented the practice of trading in the old model before the warranty runs out?

By the way, for the guy who is still trying to get into his C4 with bad knees (or hips)... ***itaboutit... time to get a C5... it's much more geezer friendly.

You bet.... 3 volumes IF my memory is correct....

However ... I find driving my 98 more relaxing then either my 64 or 72..

By relaxing I mean the adrenalin does not flow nearly as fast when I'm driving the C5... so I think I can relate to yoru comment..

Bob G

Do you remember who you bought it from?

No I honestly can not remember ...I'm "guessing" at Carlisle but not willing to bet on it.. CRS disease !

Bob G.

We ran into each other at Carlisle about 5 years ago after trading posts on alt.autos.corvette news group for a few years. We worked out the sale of the manuals on that group after I got a new set for my C6.

How are the knees doing now? As I remember they were a bit of a problem for some time. So it was good to see that you're still able to kick the stick in your Corvettes.

Sorry gang, don't mean to highjack this thread, just glad to see Bob join us on CAC.
:thumb

We ran into each other at Carlisle about 5 years ago after trading posts on alt.autos.corvette news group for a few years. We worked out the sale of the manuals on that group after I got a new set for my C6.

How are the knees doing now? As I remember they were a bit of a problem for some time. So it was good to see that you're still able to kick the stick in your Corvettes.

Sorry gang, don't mean to highjack this thread, just glad to see Bob join us on CAC.
:thumb

You have a good memory....and yours REFRESHED mine...lol

Knees are fine its the nerves in both lower legs that went South after spending 42 days in the hospital to get rid of a MRSA infection... Damn drugs (and I am a retired legal drug dealer) they gave me caused more trouble then if the infection killed me...

Feeling is slowly coming back but I'll tell you its hard to figure out if my foot was on the brake pedal or the floor ...I'm now able to feel the pedal but have not yet mastered if I am really on it or just on the edge Gas and clutch pedals were never a problem ... Major reason why I just purchased a 35th Anniv car (with an automatic)

I still use my mobility scooter to get around Carlisle BUT drove my wifes Van last year instead of breaking down the scooter and jamming it into the 64 with the top down...then assembling it to use

Bob G

Still shifting at 75. 1996 LT-4 CE. Never had a auto., 1962 340hp 4speed, 1966 Coup 350 hp, 1978 L-82. I love th:beeris six speed.

I have never tried it but I was told that Corvette cruise control does not engage over 100mph. Does anyone know for sure??

;shrug

Over 65 here

I just turned 67 last March. Also just picked up a 2009, grey, Z06. I have a '04 Z06, but it wasnt quite fast enough, so i upgraded. I do track days here in Montana and have traveled the last two years for a track day at Road America in Wisconsin. The long straights at Road America were too much for the '04.

Cant get anything other than a 6-speed in a Z06. Besides why would i want an automatic. Takes away half the fun of having a Z06

I just turned 67 last March. Also just picked up a 2009, grey, Z06. I have a '04 Z06, but it wasnt quite fast enough, so i upgraded. I do track days here in Montana and have traveled the last two years for a track day at Road America in Wisconsin. The long straights at Road America were too much for the '04.

Cant get anything other than a 6-speed in a Z06. Besides why would i want an automatic. Takes away half the fun of having a Z06
Amen To That!:thumb

I have never tried it but I was told that Corvette cruise control does not engage over 100mph. Does anyone know for sure??

might be something for the bucket list... maybe the last item.:chuckle

Glenn

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom