Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anyone replate their old headlight actuators?

Corvette
1970 LS5 Coupe
Instead of purchasing the paint kit from Eastwood, I was looking to replate all of my headlight actuators, relays, and master cylinder cap using this product:

http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/zinc.htm
CopyCad & Zinc Kit plus Yellow Chromate solution (approx $180)

Anyone have experience doing this? I'm curious if I'm getting over my head here, but they make the process look pretty straightforward.

I think the zinc kit would be useful for plenty of other parts on the car as well...

Funnily enough, one of the subcontractors I deal with has purchased such a system, and apart from judging how thick you want the plating, I understand it works pretty well. Plating thickness was only an issue due to tight tolerances.
Heck, if I could afford it I would give it a try.

Cheers

Richard

Thanks for the info Richard. Thinking long term, there's about $600 of parts I can save on my car with this system if it works well (3 actuators, 3 relays, MC cover, etc.). I think it'll be worth the money as long as it does the job.

Another thing I'm worried about is the rubber diaphragm inside of the actuator that is not removable. I wonder if I could just seal up the unit before dipping it, or do it half at a time?

Just guessing here, but I think you should wear rubber gloves while plating, so most probably the rubber diaphram in the actuator would not be affected.

:confused

Cheers

Richard

That's an excellent point... I did not think of that!

even applying the rubber glove logic, i would place a call to the manufacturer of the plating kit and ask that question. personally, i would think that dipping the unit (actuator, vacuum relay, etc) into the solution is a bit different than wearing gloves to protect your skin from the possibility of occassional contact with the product, but i admit, it is just a guess on my part. the manufacturer should be willing to share the info with you if you ask.

steve

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom