Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anyone see the MSNBC Special on GM?

Kid_Again

Corvette
65 SB Roadster, 66 BB Coupe
for me, the best summary was a graph of declining market share over time with the various GM CEO's saying that they had turned the corner on quality, only to see the market share slide continuously from CEO to CEO they interviewed a few people shopping at a toyota dealership and asked them whether they would consider an american brand and the interviews that aired said that they had been burned by domestic poor quality and poor ergonomics and were now happy with their imports which is exactly where we are as a family...the GM claims of high gas mileage mean nothing, all i can see is my wife's former buick somerset regal being towed to the dealer yet again for a major (warranty) rebuild...or her brand new Olds Omega X car that left a puddle of trans fluid wherever we went sure, my cr-v has been recalled four times, nobody's perfect but it's an '02 and reliable as hell it's only a matter of time before what's left of the Big Three is nationalized or bought at rock bottom prices by sharks like Cerberus you have to feel bad for companies like seaway fasteners which was also featured as a supplier whose sales were 50% leveraged by GM but the woman who was interviewed was absolutely correct...blame the likes of Rick Wagoner, Fritz whatzisname and their mentors for the problems and get their asses out of there why doesn't the GM Board go off and make a game-changer...make Ralph Nader CEO....while I don't agree with his politics, you would see a completely different compnay - bye bye Tahoe, Escalade and yes, even the Corvette (over time)...don't complain, your Corvettes just became instant collectors items ...in 5 years, the Corvette will reappear as a turbodiesel-electric hybrid with 0-60 of 5 seconds and 40mpg, and that's just the start

I watched the program last night..

Amazing that GM admitted they "Lost" a lot of their Cadilac market when they rushed the Cimarron onto the market :eek

When questioned about the Camaro, I found it telling about the time to market GM is taking. They may be seeking perfection and better quality, Dale E. (Jr.) even test drove one of the mules. I like what Dale (Jr.) said about GM ~ It is nice they seek his opinion, BUT GM will do it their way ~ but still nice they ask his opinion after driving it..

Bob Lutz is Excited about the new Lithum whatever battery powered car. Sounded more like a competion between ALL car manufacter's than it did about building what the PUBLIC wants, with all the regulations and restrictions usually getting done before Customer desires..

I liked the attitude of the owner of the fastner company.

I still think the Auto Industry needs a complete Face Lift. The worker at GM understood more than just where all the bolts were and torq specs...

Bud

I think the Volt is a real good looking car. Everyone knows the battery technology is not even close to being mass produced though. GM's lineup are very flashy and good looking. I think GM's quality has tarnished it so bad it doesn't matter what the cars look like anymore though. They dug a big hole; no one wants a shiny, pretty pile of junk. They really thought the public was more shallow than they are. Can you believe people will actually drive ugly cars if they last over 100K miles and are dependable? Amazing! In the last 10-15 years the imports have made their somewhat boxy ugly dependable cars good looking and now no one is looking back to GM. I hope they can turn this around but they need a total makeover from the top down and quality would have to be 100% better which just won't happen, at least not overnight which is what they need.

Funny thing is the public wanted the SUV's so much so that Toyota, Nissan and all of them started building them. The car buying public has a short memory. When gas was $4.00 a gallon is when all of the talk of building the wrong cars started to surface!

I think the Volt is a real good looking car. Everyone knows the battery technology is not even close to being mass produced though. GM's lineup are very flashy and good looking. I think GM's quality has tarnished it so bad it doesn't matter what the cars look like anymore though. They dug a big hole; no one wants a shiny, pretty pile of junk. They really thought the public was more shallow than they are. Can you believe people will actually drive ugly cars if they last over 100K miles and are dependable? Amazing! In the last 10-15 years the imports have made their somewhat boxy ugly dependable cars good looking and now no one is looking back to GM. I hope they can turn this around but they need a total makeover from the top down and quality would have to be 100% better which just won't happen, at least not overnight which is what they need.
Strange thing about the electric cars is that they're going to be priced around $50,000.00 out of reach for the folks that need them most! And can you imagine what replacement batteries will cost!

Strange thing about the electric cars is that they're going to be priced around $50,000.00 out of reach for the folks that need them most! And can you imagine what replacement batteries will cost!
:w Jim,

As I recall from the program, they said around $9,000 for a new battery pack :eek

Your other post is right on too ;)

Bud

Where can I find this program online? We don't have MSNBC here in Holland and I'd like to see this program :)

On the subject. How many miles can you do with one battery package? Here in Holland the gas price normally is twice that in the States so naturally we think somewhat different about battery cars. ;)

Groeten Peter

I believe it'll go what 40 miles on the battery alone then it has a gasoling motor that will run the car and recharge the batteries. And I could be totally wrong about distance on the charge. Help me Bud!

Funny thing is the public wanted the SUV's so much so that Toyota, Nissan and all of them started building them. The car buying public has a short memory. When gas was $4.00 a gallon is when all of the talk of building the wrong cars started to surface!

I did not see the special, but I agree with this post.
Almost every car company started jumping on the truck/suv bandwagon.
Unfortunately, the american car companies bet the farm on it.
They were also making profits from the financial sector (GMAC) and that is over.
I think there are two important lessons from all of this:
1) don't sell something to anyone that can not afford it.
2) don't depend on what people want today, be diverse so you can also have what they want tomorrow.

There are multiple computer sites when U log onto MSNBC. Not sure when the program aired or the correct title. Give it a try.

Where can I find this program online? We don't have MSNBC here in Holland and I'd like to see this program :)

On the subject. How many miles can you do with one battery package? Here in Holland the gas price normally is twice that in the States so naturally we think somewhat different about battery cars. ;)

Groeten Peter

The programed aired here on CNBC not MSNBC ;)

Bud

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom