Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anyone Try Ston Guard?

L

luvmy82

At a recent club meeting, a vendor came in representing this product called Ston Guard.
Here's the link:
http://www.stongard.com/sgcontent/result2_sgNEW.asp?SG_Retail_Pack_ID=109

Anyhoo...I was wondering if I could have your feedback, as I was considering getting the bottom center piece (#101307) which would be applied to the front bumper. I'm mainly interested, long term, what this stuff would look like.

As you can see by the price, this stuff would run me a pretty penny, plus installation costs, and I don't want to invest in something that later down the road, I'm going to regret doing.

The product is maufactured by 3M, and the guy demoed it on a brand new 2002 red Vette. You spray the car body down with a solution in a spray bottle and then you slap this pastic stuff on that feels like Colorforms, and then he s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d
until it felt like it was molded on and voila...it stays put.

He also said it's virtually invisible on cars with a silver/gold finish. (is that coincidence or a sales pitch since I have a CE?)

Since stone chips and driving on the freeway make me cringe, I was considering applying this to the front bumper.

I'd appreciate your feedback......thanks!

Actually, check out Cleartastic. They are a forum vendor here and offer a discount to forum members. Go to the forum home page and click on the Member Discounts Link.

Cleartastic vs. Ston Guard

Cleartastic looks like it is a lesser imitation of Ston Guard. You can tell the difference in the price too.

Ston Guard has been UV treated so it won't yellow, and 3M guarantees the product it for 3 years.

It appears that Cleartastic is like "colorforms" and you apply and rub on. This stuff is a little more expensive, and you need someone who is experienced at the application process. You cannot apply it yourself.

I saw the guy apply a piece to the mirror, and he really had to know where and how to stretch this stuff to fit like a second skin. There is virtually no air bubbles underneath when he applies (he actually goes over the piece with an insulin needle and squeezes any visible air bubbles out) then he hand rubs any air pockets to ensure it's virtually invisble so it's a little more intricate and high end product compared to Cleartastic.

If anyone has tried Ston Guard, I'd love to hear your opinions on it.

Thanks!

Chips happen, just drive it.

I'm not sure I'd want something on my paint that wouldn't let it breath for long periods of time. What have they said about their long term use effects? Will they guarantee product performance and repair any damages due to installation of the product?
Sil

Cleartastic kicks butt! And I said that long before they became a vendor here:D. It's easy to remove also so the paint can breath and you can wash the car.

- Eric

Re: Cleartastic vs. Ston Guard

luvmy82 said:
Cleartastic looks like it is a lesser imitation of Ston Guard. You can tell the difference in the price too.

Ston Guard has been UV treated so it won't yellow, and 3M guarantees the product it for 3 years.

It appears that Cleartastic is like "colorforms" and you apply and rub on. This stuff is a little more expensive, and you need someone who is experienced at the application process. You cannot apply it yourself.

I saw the guy apply a piece to the mirror, and he really had to know where and how to stretch this stuff to fit like a second skin. There is virtually no air bubbles underneath when he applies (he actually goes over the piece with an insulin needle and squeezes any visible air bubbles out) then he hand rubs any air pockets to ensure it's virtually invisble so it's a little more intricate and high end product compared to Cleartastic.

If anyone has tried Ston Guard, I'd love to hear your opinions on it.

Thanks!

By no means is our product an imitation of any other paint protection. Our intention since 96 was to create an alternative to drilling and placing obtrusive mud flaps or gluing something to your car. (Our film has no adhesives)
Originally we targeted the classic show cars. We thought using a removable and reusable film would be ideal. A car can now drive to a show, remove the film (no points deducted) then replace and drive home . However within the last few years, because of our films characteristics and advantages, we have expanded & all generations use our film and choose to leave it on the car for months. They can remove it when they wax, which prevents any wax residue from building up on the edges, which could make pronounced lines.

Now that daily drivers are involved and harsh weather and higher speeds are a factor we improved our film to handle just that! We even added UV inhibitors (not just a top layer but mixed into the film) that are making its way through all our kits!

Please don’t penalize our product based on cost and ease of application. It’s 2 totally different animals!
Don’t get me wrong, the 3m product is a good product and by no means am I knocking it. Were just another alternative in paint protection.

Ed

P.S Thanks Eric! :beer:

Thanks for responding to my post Ed and everyone else! It's amazing what you can learn on this message board!

I checked out Cleartastic's website, and I can concur that the front and rear wheel kits do look great and the testimonials prove that. I did purchase the kit for the C3.

However, I also want to protect the front bumper of the car. Cleartastic does not sell a kit that protects that area. And this is where Ston Guard comes in, and my concerns about using a product that is not reusable on my car and the effects of that product long term on the paint. I need to find someone who has used this stuff and has had it on their car for awhile.

Getting the front bumper done would run me about $400, so this stuff is not cheap.

So, if anyone out there in cyber space has used this Ston Guard, let me know....I'd love to hear from ya!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom