Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Are all 68 through 77 seat frames identical?

Bolisk

Corvette
1972 LS5 Convertible PS, PB, A/C
So, I have a 1970 Vette. . .with what appears to be. . .either 68-69 or 75-77 seats in the car. Basically they do NOT have the plastic trim in the top of the seat back. 70 through 74 seem to have that plastic trim. . .with 1970 haveing the sholder belt go through the seat.

So. . .does anyone know if the seat frames are identical? I would like to know if I can just order new seat covers and mount them to the existing frames I have. . .or if I have to buy brand new seats (complete) and send my existing seats in as a core charge.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
-JR

Yes and no. 68 and 69 seat bottoms and backs are the same, but the backs are shorter than the later seats because they do not contain the built in headrests. 70-78 bottoms are essentially the same; seatbacks are the same height but might vary due to the shoulder belt arrangement. If memory serves, 70-78 regular seatback upholstery will swap. The shorter 68-69 upholstery will not fit the taller seatbacks.

If the 68-69 seats are in your car, they will look noticeably short when compared with the later seatbacks.

9b4c_3.jpg

'68 without optional headrests shown; notice the installed height.

:)

Great information! Thanks.

So, I believe then I have the 78 seats. The previous owner said they were '78's. . .but I wasn't sure because the seat skins in all the parts catalogs looked the same.

Having said that. . .my seats are tall, you can clearly see the seat back and release latch in the rear window. . .so that also points to '78 seats.

So, haveing said that. . .just to make sure we are on the same page. . .it sounds like you are telling me that I should be able to put 1970 skins on the 1978 seat frame. . .withou issues. Do you concur?

-JR

...it sounds like you are telling me that I should be able to put 1970 skins on the 1978 seat frame. . .withou issues. Do you concur?...

I concur, but I would contact your upholstery provider and ask just to make sure.

:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom