Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Are my rear wheel wells correct?

1cooldaddyo

Corvette
1985 Silver/Gray two-tone
Both of my rear wheel wells have large gaps between them and the body.
It looks like they have been cut, which is a real possibility as the guy I bought it from had some 17" Mustang rims on it with an enormous spacer/adapter and it seems consistent with the other "repairs" he did.
I took the left side out to get a good look at it, and it looks about like others I see on ebay.
Can anyone tell me if this gap is correct?
Photo below is of the front edge of the right rear.
Body is at the top (car is silver/gray two-tone).
Black stripe is a gap you can fit your finger in (fuzzy stuff is dirt kicked up by tires), then the plastic wheel well below.
RH Rear .JPG

Not sure what year you have. Not sure if this will help its a 93 and as you can see the inner wheel well goes to the body edge.

DSC01777.jpg

Attachments

• DSC01718.jpg
    DSC01718.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 134
Both of my rear wheel wells have large gaps between them and the body.
It looks like they have been cut, which is a real possibility as the guy I bought it from had some 17" Mustang rims on it with an enormous spacer/adapter and it seems consistent with the other "repairs" he did.
I took the left side out to get a good look at it, and it looks about like others I see on ebay.
Can anyone tell me if this gap is correct?

This is what the right rear wheel well looks like on my 89.

The 2nd picture is if you are looking up at the right rear wheel well housing.

Where the plastic wheel well bolts to the body the plastic wheel well edge is tight to the body with no gaps.
Around the wheel well arch where there are no bolts there is a gap where you can place your finger between it and the body. At the top of the wheel well arch, the black plastic wheel well also ends about 2.75 inches above the wheel well body edge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to mention the year, and I think it does make a difference.
Mine is an '85 and looks exactly like ecss's car, so I'm guessing that's just the way they built them.
Looks like they got a bit more precise later on.
I may still try to fill that gap somehow as I think a lot of road noise comes through there.

This is what the right rear wheel well looks like on my 89.

The 2nd picture is if you are looking up at the right rear wheel well housing.

Where the plastic wheel well bolts to the body the plastic wheel well edge is tight to the body with no gaps.
Around the wheel well arch where there are no bolts there is a gap where you can place your finger between it and the body. At the top of the wheel well arch, the black plastic wheel well also ends about 2.75 inches above the wheel well body edge.

I agree with ecss, this gap is correct.

My 84 coupe and a parts 84 coupe I am stripping, have exactly the same gap, so 1985 would be similar.

:beer

Tony

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom