Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Are Tire Plugs Safe?

ZumZum

Corvette
1988 Dark Red Coupe
I had a passenger side rear tire losing air at a pretty good rate. I could actually hear the air escaping after pumping some air in it. Took her to my local Amoco station and they pulled the end of a key out of the tire. Who knows where that came from? Anyhow, after removing the key they installed a plug in the tire. A procedure that didn't even require removing the tire from the rim, or from the car for that matter. My question is, are these plugs safe and reliable? Could I take her somewhere else and have another type of patch done that is better then a plug? My car only sees the occasional 100 mph + run, and then for never more than a couple a miles. Thanks for the help.

If you are doing 100 mph on your tires...go have a patch put onthe inside of the tire. Why would you even ask...look at the alternitive if the plug isn't safe doing 100 mph.

I had a plug in the last set of tires (that came with the car) for over a year with no problems.

As long as it's in the tread and not the sidewall, you should be okay. Never repair a tire that has suffered sidewall damage. :nono

My experience with "outside" plugs has not been good. Maybe I just got a lousy installer both times that I had it done, and one time my friend had it done!

My experience with "inside" plugs (large, flat vulcanized rubber pad adheres plug to inside insuring good seal) has been very good.

The only proper and safe way to fix a puncture is to remove the tire, patch from the inside. Then balance. For just a putt putt around town car, a plug would be OK.

I have plugged many tires with no problems even at speeds well above those posted. The plug cannot be outside of the belts, i.e., as Ken said, not in the sidewall.

That said, the truly proper way to fix any radial tire is to patch it from the inside.

Guess I should have clarified my statement. I agree that the only proper way to repair a puncture is on the inside. It is even possible, and always better, to use both a plug and a patch inside. ;)

OK, thanks. I'll be going to a tire shop for an inside the tire patch. Even if the plug would never fail, for no more than a patch costs it's pretty cheap insurance against a tire failure at a bad time.

I thought that the risk with a plug was doing damage to the cord structure during installation. If this is true, then a tire cannot be as safe once the plug is installed. Patching from the inside does not risk the damage to the cord structure (except the puncture itself).

:L Sorry Jim, but if the tire was already punctured, the cord structure would already be damaged, eh? The plug ain't gonna make it any worse, at least, it shouldn't. ;)

Ken said:
:L Sorry Jim, but if the tire was already punctured, the cord structure would already be damaged, eh? The plug ain't gonna make it any worse, at least, it shouldn't. ;)
Well, Ken, I might disagree a bit. If I have a small nail hole with a slow leak, introduction of the plug tool enlarges and roughs up the hole. I have made the hole larger, and used an abrasive tool in the hole. It seems to me that further damage could be done. Perhaps this is less true with steel componenets than with the old bias ply tires with polyester (or similar) cords. :D

;) I have driven on plugs before. On the police car they will replace the tire on any kind of flat. They won't plug them at all. Even if you just had them put on today....

When I was doing construction, I was always getting a nail in one tire or another.

I would go to my local garage and pay $15.00 for a 2 minute plug job. Finally I went to Wal mart and got my own plug kit. I have never had a plug go bad. But I always use glue along with the plug.

I have had many plugs last for thousands of miles. But then, I never drive over 80.

Robert

a patch or a plug compromise the tire it is no longer good for the v or z rating although it is still ok for general driving conditons . if you want the extended high speed saftey get a new tire ;) steve

I ran two plugs in a left rear Goodyear EMT forever even at speed. Never had any problem with it. A patch on the inside is always the best way to go though.

FYI, Firestone, Bridgestone company policy was to only patch tire, and plug the hole to keep water from getting the tire body. They would prorate replacement at your option. A patch eliminates the speed rating.

JS

bradfordsvettes said:
a patch or a plug compromise the tire it is no longer good for the v or z rating although it is still ok for general driving conditons . if you want the extended high speed saftey get a new tire ;) steve
The above statement is correct, further, the generally approved repair method in the tire industry is to patch from the inside along with a rubber, not rope plug that is vulcanized into the tire. If your put a key through your tire, I'd suggest you replace it, keys in tires generally cut enough of the belt package that it can't be fixed per manufacturer guidlelines. Most tire makers specify repairs of nail holes less than 3/16" in diameter. I know it sucks to have to buy a new tire, but it will really suck if that tire fails and damages your car or worse.

Daryllawman said:
;) I have driven on plugs before. On the police car they will replace the tire on any kind of flat. They won't plug them at all. Even if you just had them put on today....
This statement is true. I read somewhere, maybe on the Goodyear website, that once a Z rated or higher tire is punctured it is no longer usable. Repair is not recomended. I believe this has to do with damaging the belts. Once the belts are broken the tire structure is no longer stable. So a patch or a plug makes no difference. The tire is trash. If you want to enjoy high speed runs replace the tire.

I have been plugging (regular) tires for years with no troubles. You can use a patch if it makes you feel better but a plug is perfectly acceptible for a repair. This applies to normal tires now.

Ya know, I've been feeling terrible ever since I responded about repairs. Obviously, I neglected to emphasize the importance of never using a repaired tire, under any circumstances, in a high-speed environment. I'm glad we have enough members that recognized that fact and helped straighten things out.

Thanks everyone! :CAC

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom