Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

are you a true hotrodder? or just a guy installing aftermarket parts

grumpyvette

are you a true hotrodder? or just a guy installing aftermarket parts on your car?

And what I mean by that is most people who are into cars and have a fairly fast car/s ESPECIALLY TODAY, simply add some aftermarket parts to increase, the cars potential horsepower or braking ability or change its looks.
While the old-time hot rodders, tended to look at a project, and say OK I want the best I can find, trade for or build!!,that includes the, rear end diff. the interior, front suspension, brakes, ENGINE,TRANSMISSION, paint job, Tires,ETC. available!
I want the best performance!
I want too build it my way!
Now if that meant in your opinion that you wanted Chrysler hemi engine ,the Buick transmission, a FORD suspension , and all installed, :D in an early Pontiac, because you happen to like the styling of that car, you sat down and figured out how to accomplish it. You knew from the start that there was no way you could buy parts do it, you had to sit down and figure out how to get it all assembled you had to do all your own measuring and in most cases you had to build a lot of your OWN CUSTOM parts. You had to understand how things worked. Why they worked! And what it would take to get certain systems to work with other systems. You had to know a lot about welding and machining of parts or have a big enough wallet to have somebody else do it for you!
Your goal was basically to build something totally unique, and in many cases much faster than Detroit could or would produce, hopefully installed in a package to not only looked good. But Ran good, something that was relatively trouble-free, and something all your friends would admire! In short something you could be eminently proud of!
in short I think the hobby of building fast / custom cars, is losing something, it every part you put in the car can be ordered off the catalog pages.
a GREAT deal of this hobby used to be involved in finding out how to fit and make systems designed for differant cars work togeather in a way that at least potentially improved the result over anything that could be purchased from any dealer!
or put another way... IVE personally got a whole lot more respect and appreciation for some guy that installed a 500 caddy engine in a 240 Z datsun that looks like it was factory installed that only runs 12 flat quarter mile times than some guy that buys a ZO6 corvette and adds a $1000 nitrous system that runs 11.5 second quarter mile times
WHERE are all the guys that have the skills and desire to install/modify thier corvettes like the old days??? why are we not seeing more LS6s, and BIG BLOCK ENGINES installed in the C4 corvettes ? huge brakes? 19" wheels, trans axles? v12 engines? 4,5,0r 6 speed auto transmissions? C5 drivetrains installed in C4 corvettes? twin turbo northstar caddy powered corvettes? or any thing else you can think of? surely you can,t think the C4 corvette is so good it can,t be improved????
YOUR THOUGHTS GENTELMAN????

grumpyvette said:
are you a true hotrodder
That's for others to decide. :D

grumpyvette said:
... some guy that buys a ZO6 corvette and adds a $1000 nitrous system that runs 11.5 second quarter mile times
Oh boy, are we gonna alienate a few people here! ;LOL

I'm with ya Grumpy! With all the dirt and grease under my fingernails I think I qualify as a true hot rodder. I'm all blood, sweat, and GEARS! I love every aspect of it. :upthumbs

grumpyvette said:
are you a true hotrodder?

Definitely. That's why I'm selling my Grand National. It's too nice to start modifying, and I'm not having much fun keeping it stock. So it has to go, to someone who will enjoy it for its originality.

My '79's also going to have to go to someone who will appreciate the work I've put into it, since it is a project, and needs to be completed by someone who will put the same care into it that I have. (I'd keep it, but I don't have the $$$ to do it like it should be done)

Next plan (after I save up for a few years) is a completely custom roadster, about the size of a Shelby Cobra, but a bit faster :) I'd like to do a mid-engine setup (hence my need for a beefy transaxle).

Joe

They don't make stuff like they used to grumpy. I grew up cruising and racing on Forest Lane where people from all over would bring their cars. Used to be able to go down and get yourself a 4 barrell Holley and a high rise and bolt it on my Mustang in a few hours. $20 set of traction bars and $100 set of 50's mags and tires. Maybe put in a bigger cam on a saturday and race that night. And don't forget a set of hush thrush for maybe 50 bucks and hang them out the side. Now everything is so technical you need a second morgage to do anything. A set of pipes is a grand. A manifold is a grand. Cams are 2k. Rear end gears are 2k. Even a new air cleaner is $400. And then you have to change the software for everything. We didn't even have software then. Local mechanics don't even know how to work on vettes now and cringe when they see one. You have to be your own knowledge base now.

Richard.

When I was in Savannah over 4'th of July weekend .... I saw what I think qualifies as a true hotrodder. It was a Porsche 928 (the one that came with a V8 and had big back glass) ... but it had a big CHROMED V8 with supercharger and scoop about a foot and a half proud of the hood. Car was cruising along cobblestones of riverfront blvd.
JACK:gap

Grumpy, i think i qualify. i've never been a checkbook restorer.heck, lucky to have any checks. i buy alot of ebay ,flea market ,barter stuff. i enjoy finding a set of spinners for $4 ,then trying to make them fit my wheels.
taking a j.c.whitney sidepipes and making them fit my headers,when the muffler shops wouldn't do it! or painting a stripe on my car,just cause i was bored one weekend.
plus , a true hot rod hobbyist will always lend a hand,tools,and/or parts to a fellow enthusiast,just because it's the right thing to do! stop by my house and i'll prove it,but don't drink my last Pepsi!!!

robin

Robin7TFour said:
... a true hot rod hobbyist will always lend a hand,tools,and/or parts to a fellow enthusiast,just because it's the right thing to do!
There ya go! :upthumbs

Robin7TFour said:
plus , a true hot rod hobbyist will always lend a hand,tools,and/or parts to a fellow enthusiast,just because it's the right thing to do! stop by my house and i'll prove it,but don't drink my last Pepsi!!!
robin
:upthumbs :upthumbs

good ole E-bay most of my Vette came from there also ;LOL

Tonight's episode of "Rides" on TLC focused on this very subject, specifically, the Burbank Choppers car club; how they build a rod from ground up, piecing together a hodgepodge of parts to make a running, albeit crude, hot rod. Great show, great stuff! :cool

I think I qualify - started in the 50's, stuffing the Caddy engine in the corner of the garage in a '51 Ford (set back 10" - hooked up great); made a hell of a "Woodward Car". How long since you've seen four Stromberg 97's on a log manifold? :D

200279174824-3-NewCadEng.jpg

200279174824-2-fordCadInt.jpg

:beer

JohnZ said:
How long since you've seen four Stromberg 97's on a log manifold?
Since right around that time period John. I had a friend who ran Strombergs and a log on a nailhead Buick, which resided in a '54 Chevy. Had a LaSalle trans behind it. :bu

ken, that show was great! i loved how the guy compared their all-steel car in primer to the fiberglass kit cars with expensive paint jobs.unfortunately the mind-set today gravitates toward the flashy rides. it takes a true hot rodder to look past the flash and notice the homebuilt,hand fabricated parts.
i built a Triton for a guy in 95. it had a Norton frame, Triumph motor, the engine plates came from california, gas and oil tanks were hand formed in England. wheels i hand laced came from triumph and bsa,forks italy,,,you get the picture.
unfortunately,when parked at a bike show next to a flashy 'crotch-rocket' it hardly go noticed!!
same nowadays, my old 74 barely get a nod from the latest C5's .

sorry i guess i was ranting ....again

robin

Ken said:
Since right around that time period John. I had a friend who ran Strombergs and a log on a nailhead Buick, which resided in a '54 Chevy. Had a LaSalle trans behind it. :bu
Gotta love the old "nailhead" Buicks - I stuffed one into this '53 back in '59; had 3x2's on it to start with, later had a 6-71 with two WCFB's - also had a LaSalle 3-speed behind it I pulled out of a '37 Buick Century coupe (same trans). Ran 12.20's in 1960 - not too shabby in those days :D

20027917333-4-53VetInt.jpg

:beer

John, it's funny that Buick of your's came up: I was coming back from picking up my rear end in Anaheim today and was passed by an early Buick Roadmaster, yellow and white with big whitewalls, and a Sun tach sitting on the column the same as in your picture. If your dash would have been yellow and white, it would be a perfect match! :D

He had some neat pin-striping on it (very fifites-style like Von Dutch ;)) and he was just cruising on down the road. :bu

Love them old cars! :v (I LOVE CARS!)

I have a Buick Wiand Drag Star on the shelf for 6 97s. Used 4 of them on a Chevy Wiand manifold I have actually been thinking of using on the '59.

My first car was a '39 Ford Delux 2 door with a '55 265 Chevy. Next was a '47 Ford Coupe that I put a '56 Chrysler 300 Hemi in with a 3 speed and '57 Chevy rear axle/front brakes. Hurst made mounts for most anything back then but from there on out it was up to you. The '39 was black and very nice looking. The '47 was half peeled Hondurous Maroon and very nasty looking. That car is still cruising the streets today but is yellow with all the original trim back on it and riding on a '68 Olds 442 chassis lengthened a little.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom