Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Are Z06 and NPP mufflers different construction?

PeterG

Corvette
2007 black coupe, NCM Lifetime Member
I want my base C6 LS2 to sound somewhat louder and deeper in tone. Of course the LS2 is not going to sound exactly the same as an LS9 for many reasons.

I am considering installing Z06 mufflers on my 2007 LS2 with NPP in a box.

I think I can seal the 2 inch H pipe to the larger diameter Z06 mufller inlet pipe.

My question is this: Is the Z06 muffler the same muffler used for the NPP exhaust option or is it a differently baffled muffler inside?

I appreciate any thoughts. Thank you.

I want my base C6 LS2 to sound somewhat louder and deeper in tone. Of course the LS2 is not going to sound exactly the same as an LS9 for many reasons.

I think I can seal the 2 inch H pipe to the larger diameter Z06 mufller inlet pipe.

My question is this: Is the Z06 muffler the same muffler used for the NPP exhaust option or is it a differently baffled muffler inside?

2008 Z06 is the same,thats when they started offering NPP!!:thumb

Here are my thoughts~

The best way to evaluate an exhaust system is to hear it yourself. Sound recordings are worthless as the electronic mics used today adjust for volume. (A gun shot isn't a "little pop,pop,pop!")

Visit a local Corvette club in your area and ask to hear people's cars there.
Making an exhaust system louder is easy, the hard part is getting one to have the "pitch" that you want. This is why you want to listen to numerous systems.

Also, be sure to ask about "DRONE." This is quite uncomfortable auditorily.

Here are my thoughts~

The best way to evaluate an exhaust system is to hear it yourself. Sound recordings are worthless as the electronic mics used today adjust for volume. (A gun shot isn't a "little pop,pop,pop!")

Visit a local Corvette club in your area and ask to hear people's cars there.
Making an exhaust system louder is easy, the hard part is getting one to have the "pitch" that you want. This is why you want to listen to numerous systems.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I agree with each of your points. You seem to appreciate the details of exhaust sounds as much as I do. :beer

Z06s sound like the sound I want for my base LS2 in tone and loudness.

After hearing Z06s, I cannot estimate what aspects of their sound is attributable to the LS9, its exhaust manifolds and pipes, and what, if any of their sound may be directly and specifically attributable to the mufflers themselves.

The question of the portion of muffler involvement might be estimated if we knew whether or not the same exact muffler is used on both the Z06 and NPP systems. We could factor in the change in sound and tone and then consider the diameter enlargement of the Z06 muffler.

I am trying to eliminate or accurately factor in the specifics of any muffler changes before I do them.

I want to learn before making the change whether or not I will end up with a standard NPP system -- just with larger tips.

Zo6 mufflers are unto their self, yes, they are different than base models NPP option. They have their perforations built inside muffler whereas NPP has it's perforations not in muffler but in tail pipes.....but YES, Z06 mufflers ARE different. If you have NPP the idea behind the perf means you have....

The NPP & Z06 mufflers ARE different. You do NOT need Z06 mufflers if installing NPP. Like I said above, the perforations are in Z06 mufflers whereas the NPP options are NOT in muffler but in tailpipes (meaning you have what creates the sound you seek w/NPP) NPP in itself is SIMILIAR TO but NOT exactly same as Z06. NPP was designed borrowing SOME features from Z06. They are NOT exactly the same though....I have owned a '09 Z51 Roadster w/NPP which I sold to replace with a '10 Z06.....I HAVE looked into both, and owned BOTH. Hope this answers your question. The sound you seek will NOT be exactly like Z06 however. You might get closer to LS9 sound because of cubes difference. 427 (7.0) -vs- 362 ((6.0) -vs- 378 (6.2)The 427 is a DEEPER throatie sound when low RPM's and more race car sound when higher reving (7000 rpm red line). The LS3 w/NPP (on) sounds like a race car ALL the time w/2 1/2 in pipes. Z06 is 3 in pipe. Don't know about LS2. The LS7 has MORE DRONE period. Because of cube size. More than LS9 as well.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom