Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Astro Tops

76okievette

Corvette
Early 1976 L-48, 2008 Victory Red
Hey folks I am thinking about getting the Thomposon Astro Top for my 76. Does anyone have any comments about these tops? Is this something that can come on and off simply. My orginal tops work fine I was just thinking this would give me more options. What about a weather seal for the top of the window does the Astro Top have one? Anyone that has one and would be willing I would love to see some pictures. Thanks

Hey folks I am thinking about getting the Thomposon Astro Top for my 76. Does anyone have any comments about these tops? Is this something that can come on and off simply. My orginal tops work fine I was just thinking this would give me more options. What about a weather seal for the top of the window does the Astro Top have one? Anyone that has one and would be willing I would love to see some pictures. Thanks

I liked the set I had on my old 1978. Great, light, and looked good. They look better on a dark car though as they don't reflect like the OEM tops.

You can't treat them like the glass tops either- the glass tops will take some abuse from stuff being dragged across them. The Astro-tops will scratch!

Thanks, I don't have glass tops but I will be careful of these if I get them.

I have a set of AM tops for my '76. They are made of convertable top material and each seperate top folds in 1/2 and fits in a fabric carrier. Lots more luggage space available then when using Astro or stock 'T' tops. Uses factory mounts, front and rear.

Only downside - they don't make them anymore and, if you can find them on the 'net, they are expensive.

The set I purchased came with both the early and late model rear pins.

I like mine, and never had any problems with it. It does have a thick seal around the peremeter. It doesn't attach the same way as factory.... The rear mounting is somewhat mickey moused.....but works fine for me.

You can't beat the price compared to T-tops...Plus it looks :cool

2333205_112_full.jpg

2333205_55_full.jpg

2333205_54_full.jpg

Thanks pic's look great I am really considering this the more I know the more I like it.

heres some pics on how it hooks up. i've had mine for 14yrs now and love em and have had no problems. the other benefit of these tops are the extra 4" of headroom which i needed being 6 ft 1", now i can sit normally w/no slouching:beer
PICT0024Large.jpg

PICT0021Large.jpg

Depot5.jpg

I have a set of AM tops for my '76. They are made of convertable top material and each seperate top folds in 1/2 and fits in a fabric carrier. Lots more luggage space available then when using Astro or stock 'T' tops. Uses factory mounts, front and rear.

Only downside - they don't make them anymore and, if you can find them on the 'net, they are expensive.

The set I purchased came with both the early and late model rear pins.

What are AM tops? I have a top made out of convertible material that I am trying to figure out. Any info would be helpful

What are AM tops? I have a top made out of convertible material that I am trying to figure out. Any info would be helpful

Mine are 2 piece and mount into the original mounting holes. They are convertable top material and fold in half. Mine came with both earlier and later front mounting pins. There should be an AM Tops label on them.

I can send you a copy of the instruction sheets if you like.

Mine are 2 piece and mount into the original mounting holes. They are convertable top material and fold in half. Mine came with both earlier and later front mounting pins. There should be an AM Tops label on them.

I can send you a copy of the instruction sheets if you like.

A picture and instructions would be great - thanks for the help.

I see this come up on forums and as much as I dislike to be all downer I hated my Astro top,
I bought it around 88-89 for a full tilt show car, it was what they called "deluxe"
the top was cheap and crappy and just didn't measure up to "Corvette" standards to me,
The way is bolts on is ratty looking and tacky, and the one rear mount could hurt you in a wreck,
It did seal with a big old thick foam seal and adds a bit of headroom,
But to me it is just a cheap answer to a top less car that is being sold,

I bought one & it fits fine with no leaks,and I did buy it for extra headroom.I put in new seat covers on new foam & it took away alot of headroom with the thicker cushions. Its a 1-piece panel made of Lexan,& it scratches easliy,as I found out. Mines the smoke tint,& doesnt have a mirror finish like my glass T-tops

Put a set on my '81.

Pros:
Lightweight
cheap
easily installed
more headroom (no liners)

Cons:
Scratch easy (but you can polish them out)
Reasonable but not a perfect fit.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom