Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

at the car wash........

I take my" company car" to this car wash that has a high pressure spray that does the entire underside of the car. While I could care less about the bottom of this car, it gives me the creeps when I think of running a opti spark vette thru it. I think one trip thru would be your last, as I'm sure it would soak your opti for sure.

I would really feel sorry for someone who tryed it not knowing this underside hurricane would come on.

Anniversary wash...

Hey CompyelC4...
If you're planning to wash the vette in the dark for your anniversary, I wouldn't suggest it unless your wife is as nuts as you are about the vette...maybe you could set up a romantic bath for two (without the vette) instead? :love
I think you'd get better results. ;)

Drew,
You've peaked my interest. Since I wash all four cars every week-end:( the absorber it is. Maybe I'll get two. One for each hand:s

Carlo

dress code for dark washing?

I use the leaf blower, too. Than a quick drive to dry the discs. then another chamois wipedown.

I stiopped using towels; too much dirt pickup. I frequently rinse the lambskin glove and the chamois.

that is, if it happens to get dirty!!!!

The Calif duster works quite well for dusting.

car wash

I stopped going through a touchless wash at my local BP station because the step that you have to drive onto to start the wash ended up cracking my left front mudflap which did not flex. Had to replace them both when an airport parking garage speed bump got the right one a zero miles an hour and did the same thing. I now use the Mr. Clean wash pack which includes a filter and soap plus a big hand gun shaped nozzle to pre-wash, soap, rinse and spot free rinse the car. The packet also came with a mitt that is kinda like sheeps wool that works good. I have found it to be pretty good, not perfect. We have very hard water here and it is difficult to avoid spotting unless you take an absorber or chamois and get off the loose drops before the set. I do the wheels normally twice a week if I am using the car a lot. Never ever take any of my cars through the soft cloth crap places. No way. Hand wash myself or nothing.

I put mine through a car wash all the time and have never had a problem.

the night washes are a definite must... that way theres no watermarks.

78silvanniv,

I haven't even entered into this conversation yet :confused but your suggestion is well-taken. I think I did make the initial suggestion about the leaf blower though.

Why do I use a leaf blower they ask?...

1. Fast (especially those chrome ZR-1 wheels)
2. No streaking (whatsoever)
3. Blocks out unwanted noise (partial deafness lasts only a couple of hours)
4. I get a bang out of watching passers-by watch me do it and then look at each other like, "why haven't I thought of that?!".
5. Can save all my nice towels for waxing.
6. Very easy on the finish.

I'm also a night-washer or basically I try & wash pre or post sun - a la dusk or dawn. Washing a black car in the sun is a pita. If & when I take my Vette to a full-service car wash, I always pay for the hand wash. They usually do a pretty good job but it'll cost ya'. In fact, when I do go there I usually help them...which probably looks kinda strange BUT oh well. I'll hit the exhaust and also use the air hose to get all the water out of the hatch area...
Love those air compressors, need to get one for the house - under hood cleaning, drying the car etc...

Ooohhh, leaf blower. I like that idea! Better get me one of those.

I wash my 90 by hand. Freind has a 92 and his wife took to an autowash and it got stuck inside on the track (to high) $3500 later car clean and boby repaired.

I use the two bucket method also....It rains alot here in the Pacific NW so she gets washed often. I use Meguires products..wash ..chamois...and then gloss spray to keep here gleaming. If I am feeling really lazy though...there is a detail shop not far from here that I have used before and for around 40.00 they do all the handy work for me. The problem is the lines are so long....so I go home usually and wash her by hand and I feel alot better that I did it myself.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom