Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

at the car wash........

regalniz

Corvette
94 Polo Green Convertible w/auto
i love cleaning my vette but you got no time what can you do. whats the good word on car washes. i have a convertible so im a little nervous about putting it through.

I never put any of my Vettes through a car wash, never. Hand wash at home.

tom...

Don't do it!

I asked my husband to help me wash the 78 one day and his way was MUCH faster!

I used to use a small kitchen sponge (with no scrubber side, just sponge). It was small and fit my hand.
However, Kenny grabbed a cotton towel, about the size of a large hand towel...and I found I could wash the vette in about 10 minutes!

Flop the towel over the top, so it spreads out and covers a large area. I wash the top, back glass, back deck, side windows, windshield and hood. Resoak the towel about 2-3 times during this procedure. (If the vette is really dirty, keep a clear bucket to 'rinse' the towel in and then reload with suds from the wash bucket)
Next I run around above the 'mid-line' with the towel wadded up between my hands, and using my fingers to press the towel to make contact, I can be sure I've gotten everywhere. Scrub the front good, for the bugs, get around the mirrors and wash inside the taillight indents.
Next-to-last I do below the mid-line, which seems to catch the most dirt. Doing this last also assures you aren't spreading 'grit' from top to bottom if you wash the car 'quarter-section' at a time. I'm sure to scrub good in the 'gill' area and get the rocker panel(?) below the door.
Last, I wash the wheels and tires.

I run up onto the hwy as fast as I dare and turn around and come back at the first exit. Towel off any remaining water, usually just a few beads around the ttops and inside the taillight housings. If the headlights are up, there's usually more beads of water on the hood.

In the time it took me to type this, I could have washed 78 twice!
Silver

ps...this is basically just a touch-up wash between serious washings prior to waxing.

I live in a 'car wash restricted' complex here in Vegas. Mine leaks at the drive thru ones. I go to a carwash bay with a hose and brush. Before I use the brush I use the hose to clean any dirt from it before I let it touch the car. I use the one at Rancho and Craig and can do the whole car, spray, wash, spray brush, brush, spray wash again, 'spot free' rinse it it for $2.00. Then I just pull up and towel it off. Takes less than ten minutes. Don't know where in Vegas you are but I bet you can find a similiar place close by. See ya on the road!!! :w

:beer

some car washes wont' even work

they just take my money anyways..

bett to just do it by hand at the car wash,, and dont' stay in one spot to long with the high pressure hose if u just blaze it you should do fine

some car places it tell you to pull up but my back end doens't detect on there sensors,, and the damn thing never starts,,,
it just put soap on it or something,,, this is do to the extremly light back end

:nono

Taking a corvette - especially a convertible - through a drive through car wash is grounds for being found insane in most states.

Don't do it!!!

I'd rather drive it filthy than let any car wash get their hands on it.:nono

I don't even drive my pick-up through a car wash, seen cars go off the track and get jamed in the brushes, usually drivers fault but could happen.

In my area some of the car washes use recycled water and whos to say the some oil or anti-freeze didn't drip into the collection system.

My cars now only see a cotton towel and chamee (sp) then dried off with cotton towels.

Spotless and happy in NY :)

You need to go to www.autopia-carport.com, and learn the two bucket method; sheet your rinse water,and the use of mf (micro fiber) towels.
This place is for all who want to be Detail-a-holics, and why not on a vette!!!!
I have done this method on a 99 Silverado LT with metallic pewter and proudly have very pristine paint/clearcoat finish... Please dont carwash even a ricer.....ok forget that last statement.

Mike

Here is what I do

In a pinch I will run the 84 thru one of those touchless washes, but the 99 is too low. If I have more time I'll hit it with the you-spray-it type wash, but only if it has a spotless rinse. If time is on my side I'll hand wash with a sponge/bucket method and a hose. I hit the high bug areas best (nose & mirrors) and the rest gets the once over to get all the dirt. I then use the absorber--a great tool that absorbs a ton of water. Inbetween washings & waxings I use a detailing spray made by Clearkote (the makers of Moose Wax, which I also use) that really rocks. It will take bugs right off with out water and leaves a GREAT shine...the wet look. OH--rainx--GREAT stuff.
--Drew:w

I do all the major work at home as well.

I take the car to the wand wash and get all the crustys off it then move it outside and shammy off the water so it looks nice.

I then take it home do the mags rubber and interior there. And of course when "waxing" Im at home.

Good Word On Carwashes?

I don't have one. :nono Depending on the type of car wash, something that has not been mentioned yet is the fact that Vette rims/tires don't fit within the tracks that are found at some of these carwashes - resulting in tire/rim damage. :cry

If you absolutely had to go to a carwash, then the ones with the bays and wands for washing may be your best bet. Something to keep in mind is that the soaps that are used at these types of places can be pretty harsh on any wax that you may have on the finish. You could always wet the car down and wash it with your own carwash soap/bucket and then rinse. Just a thought...

I never take the Vette through an automated car wash. I have used the "pay for the hose in the bay" when out of town. At home I have an old rubber nozzle that I don't even know if they make any more. You kind of bend it to open it up. The water comes out in a solid stream but not too fast. It is great for making the water "sheet" off the car reducing the drying. Because it is often hot and dry here in Texas and I have no shade on my driveway, I sometimes use my electric leaf blower to quickly remove water, then towel dry. Zaino car wash. (may be only soap, but it shure looks good).

Dennis
Grand Sport #598

I must be weird...

...because I've seen no one mention this:

I like to wash my vette at night.
Its cooler out, no sun on the body and if you run your hands ALL OVER the vette, you can be sure you've washed everywhere. I've also washed her in a light rain then pulled her into the garage for a towel dry.
Silver

Silver-

Dang! That after-dark wash sounds sensuous. My wife and I are going to try that on our next anniversary! Maybe some wine.................:)

You aren't weird

I just washed mine at 8pm, when it was a little cooler and the sun was down. I thought you were going for a sexual comment with the running your handsover the vette at night, but you pulled it off very well.:D

Why do you guys use towels and leaf blowers to remove water when The Absorber is out there. It feels like a shammy but it absorbs a ridiculous amount of water. Just ring it out and it is good again and again. I got mine at wally world for about 8 bucks. It takes ALL the water off, not most of it. It leaves NO little water spots like towels do, and it is machine washable. Go get one and if you don't like it I'll buy it from you for what you paid for it. How's THAT for a Drewser seal of approval!
--Drew:w

I tried using the leaf blower to dry my vette after reading about it on an old thread in the forum. I was amazed at how fast I could dry the car without streaking. It even blew the water out of the mirrors, the tail lights and around the hatch. A short wipe dry with a diaper and it was done. Don't know who came up with the idea. They've sure got my thanks. Great idea!

Car wash

At work we have a Gas dock which offers a hand car wash ( $9.00 ) which I have done once a week.....

They also offer detailing services.. I do that every 2 months.....

I haven't picked up a bucket in a year or so... I just do not have the time....

Vig!

Hand Wash

Hi all,

Automatic car washes are certainly a no, no... (tsk tsk)

My Corvette is black and I have to clean it about once a week.

Try places that offer Hand Washing and detailing. There is a place by me, that for $10-20, they will pull my car into a little garage and have guys HAND WASH it and do the wheels, takes 10-15 mins (usually during my lunch break) or so, and then dry it will soft towels. They also have various "spray on" waxes.

I ALWAYS prefer to wash the Corvette myself, but I used this place in the winter a few times (too cold for me to wash it). So I would suggest looking into that.

I love standing there and have people walk by and see the smile on their face. Its hard work... but fun.

Plus, I am always certain I can do a better job them some paid monkeys at the car wash.

John

Re: Hand Wash

jbolanowski said:
I love standing there and have people walk by and see the smile on their face.

That IS a big part of the pleasure of doing it yourself. :upthumbs

_ken :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom