Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

At the paint shop finally!

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
Here are two quick pics of the 69 outside of the paint booth. I had a couple of fresh eyes take a look at it this morning. So far so good. I have blocked it all down with 600. A fellow named Pat will be spraying it for me. Old gimpie right arm just is not going to make it. I will pick up my Dupont paint products, tape it off Thursday afternoon, and we are set to shoot it Thursday night. We will let it air dry all night to allow the paint to cure and flow smooth. Forced drying is great for production work, but not needed here. If all goes well she will be back in my shop on Friday. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

View

View

Cool

Cool.
I can't wait to see it.
The body looks really nice with those flares.

Paint time

Chris It probably seened like a long time to get to this point but with you doing all the work it was really fast. I know people who have been building their car for 10 yrs and haven't gotten to paint yet.
Good luck with it, I'm sure it will come out right.

Trailer

Racer78 said:
Chris, that is a nice trailer, is it yours?

Keith

That is my trailer. Bought it last December as I got tired of depending on tow trucks and other people's stuff.

I got a great deal on it. It has new trailer style tires, 18' capacity, and brakes on the front axle. I paid $1,300 plus tax out the door as a brand new 2000 model. The ramps are made to stow away under the beaver tail. However, I found that when the trailer is empty I can't see it in the rear view when hauling it with my dually. Plus, those ramps are heavy and hard to put in place. So, I had a good welding friend of mine design a large pivot pin assembly and the stand up mounts. I can still stow them away for better aerodynamics, but have yet to do so as it is just too convienent as you see them.

My other buddy says I look like Farmer Bill coming down the road with those ramps up in the air. Nikki's 90 goes on and off with no problems, so I really don't care what it looks like. Plus, going back to our motor home days, Nikki and I make a great team. She is able to unhook the pins and drop the ramps as I am backing to save time and trouble.

I want to get an electric wench and tool box for the front. Other than that I am very happy with it. I have to keep it over at my Dad's house most of the time as it is too big and bulky just sitting next to my house and in front of my shop.

I hope by the time I get back to the forum, the car is painted. I will be headed over to the paint booth very soon to get it all taped and papered.

Just spent $797 on the paint materials. This was just for the sealer, base, and clear with all the appropriate activators and reducers. I am going with the Dupont Chroma Premier instead of Imron. The word is that the Chroma Pemier is the state of the art paint at this time (at Dupont at least). For that kind of money, it better be.

I will post up some pics as soon as I can.

Wish me luck!

Chris,
Best of luck with your new coat of black.. If you have any paint left over I'll be up....Instead of palm trees you must have a money tree growing in your backyard....:upthumbs

Imron

I think your right Chris because Imron has been around for many many years. I had my 79 ford p/u painted with Imron in 1986 and it wasn't new then either. However it still looked good when I sold it about 2 yrs ago, and that was out in the sun most of the time and hardly ever washed. Just wash it and use some cleaner /wax and it looked good again.
Your probably on the right track with that new type paint. I'm sure theres someone on this board with info on it.

Money tree

I wish I had a money tree.

I appologize if I sound like I am bragging about the buckage this thing is costing me. I have included that kind of info for the benefit of anybody else out there looking to do some of the same kind of stuff.

I replied to a post one time before and went into some great detail how I pay for all of this. Long story short, this project has been dragging out over a long period of time. I am careful to bite it off in small chunks. Right now, I am over budget. I really only planned on spending about $500 more on the paint and painting it myself. However, with what I spent on the engine parts, etc, I have enough stuff to keep my busy into the first of next year without any other major purchase. I hope by then, I have paid down my credit card debt enough for another round of spending fever.

BTW, speaking of buckage, try this out. My company has a credit union for employees and a "christmas fund". It is great. You put $25 or so a pay period into this account direct deducted. At the end of October they disperse the account. What is so cool about it, is you don't have to worry about Christmas creeping up on you, then being wiped out by it for the next four months. It is so refreshing to have the money free and clear of everything else to do Christmas. My buddy puts $125 per pay period in. He gets a schweet check, but he also has a very large family. Still, he does not carry and debt over after December 25!

Re: Money tree

69MyWay said:
I wish I had a money tree.

I appologize if I sound like I am bragging about the buckage this thing is costing me.

Chris, Don't appologize. I'll bet a lot of us are curious about how much projects cost. My hat's off to you for all the work you've done yourself! Good luck with the paint job. Looks like this car is going to be quite the ride. :cool

-Guy

;) Y'all ain't been here long enough to remember, but I once posted a breakdown of the money I've thrown into mine through the years, though later came to my senses and removed the embarrassing document. :L

_ken

Ken said:
;) Y'all ain't been here long enough to remember, but I once posted a breakdown of the money I've thrown into mine through the years, though later came to my senses and removed the embarrassing document. :L

_ken

You must have had a stroke after adding it all up too. :D I have not put that much into the 82 (or so I thought) until I started adding. I could not imagine a major project.

-Guy

Chris,
Just kidding about the money tree. Thanks for the good information .. Ours is an expensive hobby but we love it..

Roy

No worries,

I hope I did not sound defensive. I tell you, after getting slapped in the face for the bill on the paint materials, money is not a favorite subject around the house.:mad

69MyWay said:
...after getting slapped in the face for the bill on the paint materials, money is not a favorite subject around the house.:mad

:L ROTFLMAO :L

How do you say... "P***y-whipped"! :L

_ken

Chris, Drop me an email and let me see your photo album. It was great seeing you at Octobervette.
Thanks,
Rick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom