Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

August 2002: Lend a Helping Hand

vettaholic said:
Hi, Rob,
I had no idea that you actually started this site. One heck of a job! I go to "the other site" also. In general, CAC is more technical and serious where the other is more of kidding around. If you want serious info, this is the site and yes-lets keep it that way.:w :beer

Thanks. Yep. It started out a couple years ago as just a small New Hampshire based Corvette web site. We've come a long way. :)

Rob, I totally agree, this is the absolute best site around.

I must admit, when I first got my vette, then found this site, I was very timid about my first post. But after slinking around in the backgroud for a while, I realized that everyone was very polite and merely helped one another without passing judgement.

Although my knowledge of my corvette is limited, I have found myself in a position to be able to help others having similar problems that I had, and am happy to provide whatever help I can.

Thanks for a great site, and thanks to the many members who help keep it a great site.

Steve :w

I agree with everything said in this thread and would like to add a reminder that if you do post something and have regrets that it may be misunderstood or you may have overreacted , you can use the edit option and change or remove your own post .Cliff

Rob and the rest of the gang

I'm very impressed with the organization of CAC, you folks did a great job with the options and forums. CAC is the primary web site that I venture to each day. The members have so much information to share and I have benefited from them many times over. :s :s :s

Thanks
Chuck

As far as other sites. When I got my 88 three years ago the first site I found was Netvettes. There were (still are) some good people there. A big flame war started last year and a lot of the people just left, including me. That site has no moderator. I still check back now and then.

The next site I found was Corvetteforum. It has a lot of knowledgable people and a ton of helpfull information in the archives. I get the impression it is mostly about racing, modification, and go fast parts.

Then I came to the CAC. Very friendly site. The information available here about Corvette specs through the years is awsome.

Each site seems to have it's own personality. The people who make up the site give it that personality. I like to visit around here and there and talk to different people. That is what makes the internet a great tool.

If there are more Corvette sites out there I havent found them yet. Actually with as much time as I spend browsing I dont have much time left as it is.

Rob,

I am new to the site as well as a new (used) Corvette owner. I have asked several novice questions and have been very pleased with the volume(amount) and quality of answers. The members have been very supportive and have in a short time solved problems that dealer would have taken days to resolve, ie the 'C4's abiltiy to start some of the time and then not start the rest of the time.

Your comments were timely because one or two sites(threads) were getting out of hand. My Dad always said that if you wanted to learn something, keep your ears open and your mouth shut. Now in today's environment that would be translated in keeping your eyes open and sometimes your fingers off keyboard..................good job with site administration......I enjoy CAC!!!

Great job Rob,

My day would not be complete with out the CAC. I have met so many nice people here. There is no comparison between this forum and the other one. This forum is like family. Sometimes even family gets crossed up. No harm no foul. ;) :gap

I think that this forum is an outstanding place and I want to thank all of you who have helped me on several occasions. These people take time out of there day to help you with your problem, why would you decide to argue and insult them? I have learned so much about vettes in my 3 years of owning my '81, and have gotten a loooot of help here on the forum. I remember when I just barely had my vette and I had a choke problem and I couldnt even find where my carburator was ( I know, I know, Ive learned) and you all were very patient with me and helped me through it (once you found out I was only 16). You could have easily called me an idiot, and refused to help, and that would have made me enjoy my vette less, but you didn't and thats what makes corvetteing more then a car, its a lifestyle, with wonderful people surrounding the hobby. Thanks again for all the kindness, and I hope to see this site go for years to come, next I need to know where my engine is, haha. :)

22229stingray81 said:
I think that this forum is an outstanding place and I want to thank all of you who have helped me on several occasions. These people take time out of there day to help you with your problem, why would you decide to argue and insult them? I have learned so much about vettes in my 3 years of owning my '81, and have gotten a loooot of help here on the forum. I remember when I just barely had my vette and I had a choke problem and I couldnt even find where my carburator was ( I know, I know, Ive learned) and you all were very patient with me and helped me through it (once you found out I was only 16). You could have easily called me an idiot, and refused to help, and that would have made me enjoy my vette less, but you didn't and thats what makes corvetteing more then a car, its a lifestyle, with wonderful people surrounding the hobby. Thanks again for all the kindness, and I hope to see this site go for years to come, next I need to know where my engine is, haha. :)
First of all, you guys have no idea how happy I am to hear the feedback you've given me in this thread. Based upon what you guys have said, it indicates to me that we are on the right path and that Corvette Action Center is moving ahead in the direction I had intended to move it. Corvette owners and enthusiasts helping one another through their own personal knowledge and the information we provide here. That's what it's all about.

As for what Tatortot said above, that is specifically why I decided to write about this topic for the Wheelspin column. We aren't all motorheads here. We're not all older adults who have lived through the high peformance era of the 50s and the 60s when carbs and "glass packs" ruled the pavement.

We sure as hell aren't getting any older, so who is going to carry on the torch after we're gone? Who will take care of the older Corvettes once we're gone? The younger generations of Corvette owners will....provided we teach them those things that may seem trivial to us, such as the location or identification of a carburetor. To some of us, that may sound funny, but to those who have no experience with older automobiles....it's a legitimate question.

So....keep that in mind....before you get ready to flame or laugh at someone who asks a general automotive question.....consider where they've been and what experiences or lack there of, they've had.

Rob

I have another perspective on this site. Aside from the basic love of all cars and Corvettes, I have my staff read posts from this site quite often.

I supervise the level 1 helpdesk for Fl**t bank. With all the tehnology out there one thing we never seem to get is cooperation. We have so many people working and or interested in the same field but with quite differnt levels of experiance and experiance. I often like to point out how almost total strangers seem to share information and help each other to the point of actually taking a drive to lend a hands on assist. If only other people that spend 8 hours a day with each other could do half as much..... So I think this site is a model of cooperation we all can learn from.

Its also a pleasure to meet people through the site (71Shark, Nut)among others. The other sites are also very good but have more of a bias towards racing and specific years.

Keep up the good work!!

I've had my Vette now for about 6 months and I gotta tell you, if it wern't for this site, I would have given up on my vette. It needs a good deal of work, and you guys have saved me Soooo much money it's not even funny. I grew up a motorhead working on GM's Fords and Dodge, but the Corvette has got to be the most fun I've had tinkering. Even with the knowledge I have from other cars and projects, I find there is a LOT I don't know about the Corvette. And the people on this site are extremely helpful when it comes to figuring out a problem. My most recent fixes were the cooling system and my Differental. I almost went out and spent a ton of money replacing the Diff, and both trailing arms, which as it turns out, are in good cond! My hat's off to you and this site!!! Thanks for all the help.

Michael :w

Me too!

I think Corvette Action Center is the best forum on the web. I was really fortunate to find CAC while I was searching for my corvette. Because of the information in the knowledgebase and the technical information that you'all shared, I found the right corvette for me.
What I like best about CAC is everyone's kindness to new owners, especially when the same question has been asked and answered before.

Thanks, Great Job! :CAC

Speaking as someone who is just getting into the 'vette scene, I asked some pretty 'noob questions, and always got GREAT replies. Very informative and gentle on my lack of knowledge of 'vettes. Thanks to all the participants who have increased my knowledge and appreciation of this fine car.

Kudo's Rob on building a great community.

-Piet

Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
-Georg Christoph Lichtenberg (1742 - 1799)

Rob, It was just luck that I found CAC and now when I have a corvette question I search your site first. I also tell my buddy's of this great site that contains all types of information on vette's. Thank you again for having the insite to create this site. I just wish I had more time to read everything here. :beer

Because of the helpfulness of the CAC guys and gals is why I Stay tuned to this site. Job well-done Rob. Hoss

I am not sure how to properly thank you for starting this website. Thank you is just not good enough. Anyway I am so glad that I actually found this sight, I visit daily. Keep up the great work, and keep the information coming in regards to the C6. Thanks again.

Agree 100%

I bought my first vette this year, stumbled across this wonderful site, and will go nowhere else!

...show your thanks

I nice way to show your thanks (for all the information here) is to help others, offer support, CREATIVE criticism, and just being friendly.

Thanks very much for this thread to help tune us all in to what this is all about.

I looked very hard for a site like this about two years ago and gave up. I came up with a need for some answers about a month or so ago, looked again and found this great site. I have frequented a site, much like this, covering the other car type which draws my enthusiasm, for about two and a half years. I have said that the site was the best on the internet. Since finding this site and forum, it is most definitely number two IMHO, and closing in fast.

My sincere thanks for taking the initiative to put it all together.

Have a great day,

Nothing but good things to say

Here's another young guy that has been made at home here at CAC. I've meet close to a dozen CACers from the Virginia/Maryland area and am very impressed with their willingness to accept a much younger person into their group. I don't have much to bring to the table, but I'm sure taking a lot from it. Like Rob said:

Who will take care of the older Corvettes once we're gone? The younger generations of Corvette owners will....provided we teach them those things that may seem trivial to us

I expect to be able to teach my children and many others all about vettes someday, and I can say that I learned it from a bunch of ol' farts on an internet site when I was younger.
:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom