Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Authentic Black Widow?

• Thread starter Thread starter YESZREE
  • Start date Start date
I thought the letters on the Black Widow Motors were painted red.

I'm a newbie, but...

Posted in this forum is a history of the Black Widow. The picture says that the letters are indeed red, and also that none were made in '91, with the exception of those made for race teams. Also, it says that only 8 or 9 of them were ever made for the public. 8 or 9? That's rarer than the L88/L89 engines. This would make me believe that the price would be far above the 17k that he's asking. So, I'm throwing the Shenanigans flag on this 'Black Widow'.

Re: I'm a newbie, but...

MidKnight said:
Posted in this forum is a history of the Black Widow. The picture says that the letters are indeed red, and also that none were made in '91, with the exception of those made for race teams. Also, it says that only 8 or 9 of them were ever made for the public. 8 or 9? That's rarer than the L88/L89 engines. This would make me believe that the price would be far above the 17k that he's asking. So, I'm throwing the Shenanigans flag on this 'Black Widow'.

An accusation of Shenanigans has been made - now, the owner of the ZR-1 must respond to this accusation, and if we don't like his response, then we get to beat him down with broomsticks. Those are the rules!!:J :Silly :booty

His reply...

I emailed the owner to get some clarification, this was his reply...

Dear Adam,

Thank you for your commentary. You are correct that a very small number of 475 hp Black Widow engines were made by Doug Rippie Motorsports. I failed to add the word "Type" to my description as it should have read 500 hp DRM Black Widow Type engine as it was sold to me by Rippie's shop as a 500 hp "Black" engine. They asked me what color paint for the lettering and I asked for Quasar Blue to match the car.
I'm not attempting to misdirect anyone, especially when one considers that I've invested almost $90K in this car and will probably sell it in the mid-$20's. Thanks for pointing out the inaccuracy, which I'll try to rectify.

Sincerely,

Andrew Kopperl

Well, this seems genuine enough, I'll retract the Shenanigans flag.

:cool
Never heard of this before.
Very interesting to read about !

Bet this makes finding a qualified repair shop tough.

Re: His reply...

MidKnight said:
I emailed the owner to get some clarification, this was his reply...

Dear Adam,

Thank you for your commentary. You are correct that a very small number of 475 hp Black Widow engines were made by Doug Rippie Motorsports. I failed to add the word "Type" to my description as it should have read 500 hp DRM Black Widow Type engine as it was sold to me by Rippie's shop as a 500 hp "Black" engine. They asked me what color paint for the lettering and I asked for Quasar Blue to match the car.
I'm not attempting to misdirect anyone, especially when one considers that I've invested almost $90K in this car and will probably sell it in the mid-$20's. Thanks for pointing out the inaccuracy, which I'll try to rectify.

Sincerely,

Andrew Kopperl

Well, this seems genuine enough, I'll retract the Shenanigans flag.

Now young man - you can't just go around willy-nilly calling Shenanigans - you'll get a reputation!!

Seriously - this car sounds like a nice example.

It sure does...

It looks like a heck of an example, however, the original look into this car proved that it was not what he said it was. This led me to question the credibility of all of what he was saying. That is why I wrote to him for clarification. It is not one of the 8 'Black Widows'. What it is, however, is a powerful, well kept, and beautiful machine. I now know this due to some in depth investigation, and he was courteous enough to tell me the history. I nulled the comical 'shenanigans'. I give the guy credit for admitting that there was some misleading information and being upfront about it. Personal responsibility is a rare thing these days.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom