Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Auto Tranny drain??????

Corvette
78 white/red coupe
Need a little help out there folks in the C3 arena..............

Just got done checking my A/T fluid.......looks to be over-filled so I went below to try and find the drain plug and looked and felt all over and around the tranny pan and no drain plug......(btw...it is is SA 78 L48)

What's up with that......did I miss something??????

mk's78

Yeap, my 79 l48 with a th350 has no drain plug on the pan. kind of stupid if you ask me but ive seen quit a few chevys like this. you could try loosing the pan a bit letting it drain then retighten it and keep an eye out for any leaks or replace the stock pan with one having a drain blt.

How did you check the level?

You're supposed to do it with the car at operating temperature, on level ground.
Start in park, go to Reverse, neutral, drive, 2nd, first, 2nd, drive, neutral, revers, park.
Then check the dipstick.

If you're still too high, then I recommend shoving a tube down the dipstick hole and siphoning some out. It's slower, but a lot cleaner and a lot more accurate.

Good luck!!!

the last time i had to change tranny fluid i vowed that i would never again make that type of mess so i put in one of those mr gasket drain plugs. it made life so much easier the next time.

Just crack one of the cooler lines at the radiator and drain until the level is correct.

Was told by a GM guy years ago that the reason there's no drain plug is they want you to change the filter when you change the fluid so they made you drop the pan. Of course that doesn't get all of the fluid.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom