Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oversized self tapping drain plug?

PushrodV8

Corvette
1994 C4
I got a project C4 and I went to do the first oil change.

I noticed the threads and the bolt didn't want to cooperate, but the bolt eventually found threads(did not force anything) and it let me hand tighten it(with ease). I got in snug and it ran fine no leaks. Come back tonight and I got a dollar sized puddle and a slow drip. :mad:mad

Looking from the other side you can see the bolt has the smallest of gaps, enough to leak oil. While I believe the previous owner gorilla drove the plug in there, I will take responsibility as a personal screw up as I went ahead and put the bolt in.

Other than dropping the pan, which would be messy in my apartment garage, how well do over sized self tapping drain plugs work? And are they reusable each time?

Also. I noticed in my catch pan, while under the light, the oil has the faintest hue of green. Head gasket? Car runs fine, has a slight rough idle here and there.

So much for trying to learn on my personal time. :ugh

Something like this:
http://www.autozone.com/external-en...-oil-drain-plug/256835_339491_0?checkfit=true

Last edited:
Try replacing the gasket on the drain plug. If there isn't one on there, get one. Car Quest has them. A self tapper should be the last resort, before pulling the pan. Also,...Dropping the pan is a JOB. It's NOT gonna just fall out of there. You have to jack the engine off of the mounts, pull the starter, exhaust and various other components including the front cross-member gussets, which can be a BEAR to remove.

Don B. is spot on.

Inspect the plastic ring which seals the drain plug against the surface of the pan. If it's extruded or hardened, replace it or just replace the plug assembly with a new one from RockAuto.com

Also, take a look at that sealing surface on the pan, itself, and make sure it's not damaged.

Same issue

I know your pain of having the oil drool. Advanced Auto and the others used to sell a small $1 packet of drain plug thread sealer and it worked great. So great it is now no longer available. Now I use Permatex non-hardening Form a Gasket and it works almost as well. Coat the threads and the washer surfaces.
I did try to use the permanent EZ drain plug valve but the exhaust pipe will not allow installation. This EZ plug is a great $20 product and I've used it to save much time, mess, and hassle on my Camry.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom