Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Auto XRAY 6000

Dustoff529

Corvette
1990 Green 6 spd Coupe
AutoXray EZ-Scan 6000 review

I bought an AutoXray EZ-Scan 6000 last week and thought I'd write up a bit of a review on it for those interested.

I had considered several options for a scan tool, the most versatile seem to be the kind that run on a laptop. However, for me to use software for both my OBDI Corvette, and newer OBD-II Nissan Maxima, I'd have to buy more than one software package, and it seemed to be about $500 or more at that level for only GM-specific software.

One thing that appealed to me about the EZ-Scan 6000 is I don't need a laptop (though I have a couple), it has GM, Chrysler, Ford OBD, as well as GM, Chrysler, Ford, and Toyota specifice OBD-II capability. Plus generic OBD-II to use on any vehicle since 1996. And another stand-out
is it is CAN compatible. I did not find any consumer-grade laptop software that was CAN compatible.

So this tool seemed the most flexible, even though I have only GM cars and Nissan, and no CAN cars. I also didn't like the 20-vehicle limit on EASE software, though I can't imagine hitting that limit.

I'll start off with the shortcomings of this tool. The main one is it's ability to capture and record data. It is not a tuner tool. It can record a maximum of 25 parameters at a max rate of 2 frames per second (adjustable) and can only hold 29 frames. So that's 14.5 seconds of data at the max recording rate. 2 frames a second doesn't seem quick enough for tuning work.

Also, the captured data for some reason gets deleted if you go back to real-time monitoring. This is a tad annoying.

The pluses are that it's very versatile in terms of vehicles it works with, is upgradeable, has nice long cables on the connectors (about 6' long), and has many manufacturer specific parameters. And it has many OBD-II features such as checking sensor readiness states (for emissions testing), viewing freeze-frame data, pulling sensor test results, checking and clearing codes, and pulling vehicle data like VIN, CALID, and something called "CVM" I believe, from vehicles that support that.

One question I had that no one could answer about any tool is what parameters should I expect? The tool supports a bunch, but not every vehicle supports a bunch. On two (neighbors) OBD-II cars, the Regal and Aurora, I got between 40-60 parameters each. I was surprised neither had much in the way of tranny stuff (both are autos), except the tranny temp.

I also noticed you can't select parameters on the Corvette (or any OBDI car, I don't believe). So you have to scroll them all, seeing 4 at a time on the 8-line display. On OBD-II cars, you can pick the parameters to monitor. The less you pick, the faster the update. But interestingly, the 30+ parameters on the Corvette updated quite fast, probably 5+ times per second, in spite of updating so many things.

According to the tech support, the tool supports every parameter the vehicle has available, they said they get the info per model from GM. I've no way to know if that's true or if I'm getting cheated out of some parameters, but the ones that are available for my neighbors, 2002 Aurora are as follows:

Readiness Monitors Complete
Fuel System 1
Fuel System 2
Load Value (%)
Coolant Temp (deg)
Long Term Fuel Trim 1 (%)
Long Term Fuel Trim 2 (%)
MAP Sensor ("Hg)
Engine RPM
Vehicle Speed
Ignition Timing Advance (deg)
Intake Air Temp (deg)
Air Flow Rate (lbs/min)
Throttle Position (%)
2nd Air Status
Oxygen Sensor 1 Bank1 (V)
Short Term Fuel Trim 1 (%)
Oxygen Sensor 2 Bank1 (V)
Short Term Fuel Trim 2 (not supported, I believe because it's for the post-cat O2)
Oxygen Sensor 1 Bank2 (V)
Short Term Fuel Trim 2 (%)
OBD-II Required
Battery Voltage (V)
Throttle Sensor (V)
EGR Position (V)
Fuel Tank Pressure (" H2O)
EGR Valve Open (%)
Trans Oil Temp (deg)
Start Up Coolant Temp (deg)
Canister Purge Solenoid (%)
Long Term Cell
Injector Pulse #1 (ms)
Injector Pulse #2 (ms)
Desired EGR (%)
Barometric Pressure (" Hg)
A/F Ratio
Engine Rune Time (s)
Calc Air Flow (lbs/min)
EGR Valve Position
EGR Decel Trip
Total Misfires
Misfire History Cyl1
Misfire History Cyl2
Misfire History Cyl3
Misfire History Cyl4
Misfire History Cyl5
Misfire History Cyl6
Misfire History Cyl7
Misfire History Cyl8
Long Term Fuel Trim
Rich/Lean Lean/Rich Ratio
OBD Data Cleared (miles)
Block Learn Decel
Block Learn Idle
Block Learn Cruise
Block Learn Accel

The unit can also be configured in metric, which would change the units for many of the listed parameters.

The available OBD-II manufacturer-specific codes are listed here:
http://www.autoxray.com/downloads/eobd2.htm
But again, most vehicles will have a small subset of those supported.

The unit came with three OBD cables, an OBD-II cable for 1994-95 GM vehicles, and a generic OBD-II cable for all 1996+ vehicles. There is also apparently an OBD-II cable specifically for Chrysler vehicles which isn't included. There is also a battery tester accessory.

I've so far used the tool successfully on a 1990 Corvette, 1997 Buick Regal, 2002 Olds Aurora, 1995 Nissan Maxmia (was surprised this worked), and a 2003 Nissan 350Z.

So far I'm pretty happy with the tool. I'm it's really worth the money the fact that it will be useful on many cars, and on cars past 2008 when CAN will be standard, make it worthwhile in the long run.

A few things I thought were neat are measuring the intake air temps, and air flow. That would be an interesting way to compare air filters, intake cones, etc. To see if they flow more air over the MAF, and if the temps increase or not.

Also things like the miles since reset would be useful when looking at a used car. In case someone reset the car prior to your seeing it, to mask any trouble codes, etc.

I tried out the EZ-Charge 200 today with the tool. You input the rated load capacity, it does whatever it does, and tells you if the battery is ok, needs a charge, is about to crap out, etc. Plus it gives it an amps rating. The Aurora has a 770 CCA battery, and it said it was good for 805 CCA. The Corvette has a 650 CCA batter, and the tool said it was good for 620 CCA. For both it suggested they were good and needed a recharge...

It also has a voltmeter mode, which wouldn't be anything special except it saves the low and high voltage. You can hook it up, fire the car up, and see how low the volts sunk while cranking, and you can see how high they go while running/charging.

Oh, another nice thing is the tool, the scan cables, the battery tester, and all the manuals/CD's fit into the carrying case. I like that because otherwise it would be lost somewhere in the house.

When I have your wounded
Charlie

Thanks to my lovely wife for typing this.. all I had to do was talk and read my writing, ....

That's a good write-up!

I have a tool that is similar and will also record engine and exhaust parameters. If you look closely, all of the parameters the tool can record are related to things that would be helpful in fnding out what set a check engine light.

Actron makes the CP9449 for scanning brake modules. There may be other types available for other computer modules.

I have had the 6000 for over a year now and for the items I've used it for I am very happy with the AutoXray. I, too, like the fact that it is good for more than one model year, type, etc. Thank goodness I haven't had to use it on my other vehicles yet, but it is nice to know that if I do need it, it will read them.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom