Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Automatic transmission clutch slip

cash's90

Corvette
1990 Charcoal Metallic Coupe
Driving along in OD at over (40 mph), press quickly on accelerator, clutch-like chatter and then OD fully engaged.
Fluid was a pint low so that was topped off and the condition improved but not totally.
Just returned from a 200 mile r/t at average speed of 70 mph and
the tranny seems to work fine otherwise and handles heavy acceleration loads in lower gears nicely.
The tranny leaks at both ends so I'm going to get it repaired soon. I'm hoping that it can be rebuilt.
Any ideas on the extent of repair? And approximate cost?
I'm a new owner and was aware there was a tranny problem at purchase but the price was right.
:)

Sorry, cash's90,

Don't have an answer for you. You failed to mention how many miles your 'vette has on it, or if you've changed the fluid to see if that would help.

Other than that, get a quote (do a search for transmission rebuild threads, there was a good on here recently) and keep in mind that with a quick web search or in the back of many performance magazines, you can find a built 700R4 for a grand or so.

I'm a dreamer and like to do research and this is one website that I've found recently that seemed pretty decent. Haven't dealt with them before, but their knowledge (and $$) seem to be right on target.

http://www.700r4.com/trans/levels.htm

Don't let this be the last place you look! Persistence, man!

Intruder9,
146,000 miles.
It's due for a new tranny very soon so I've not changed the fluid, just topped it off.
I did look at the older threads and I'd sent an "E" mail message to "Bowtie" but have not received a response.
As you mentioned, they appear to have the right stuff and they are not too far from my location.
Thank you for your input.
Cheers,
Gary

My tranny started acting up at 145,000...seems they don't make anything to last very long anymore...:SLAP
But I put in a bottle of Lucas tranny stuff and it straightned right up. Have not had a problem since. Seems the Lucas line of products do indeed work as advertised....
I will tell you the stuff is thick as molasses and takes a good amount of time to empty into a tranny....definite 6 pack job....
Plus you have to take a quart out...I used a turkey baster with a piece of plastic tubing on it .Place into hole and suck out a quart.
Well actually it did not work as fast as I would have liked...so I took the bulb off the end and ....well I will tell you be careful...tranny fluid tastes awful....;stupid

had the same symptoms as you, started that way, then progressed to doing it in lower gears and with less and less, throttle pressure.
The end result, the trans was in need of a rebuild, but still drivable ( if baby'ed, which defeats the purpose of the car ).
Did a search for trans on the web, did some reading, then hunted down a number of ATRA cert. shops, got quotes, and with some help from Vigman, got a few more questions to ask. Final deal was $1300.00 full rebuild including T.C. and new planetary's, and installed, 12mth/12k 100% warr. (local of course), and had the car back in 2 1/2 days.

If ya do the work yourself, you can get a real nice one from the PATC Link mentioned in an earlier post, i think around $1100.00 with shipping to your door.

...as far as the tranny leaking....mine was leaking horribly. I couldn't tell exactly where it was leaking from, because tranny fluid seemed to be everywhere! I eventually narrowed down the search, and figured that it was the front tranny seal.

It was not much fun to replace the seal, but I ended up replacing both the front and rear tranny seal. (about $6 dollars) While I was at it, I replaced the tranny filter and pan-gasket, and of course new fluid. I could have easily done it in one full day, but instead divided it into 2 days. (1 day to take down, 1 day to replace) Each day I spent about 3 hours working on the car. I could easily do it faster next time!

I never had problems about my tranny slipping, so I can't offer any suggestions there. I just wanted to let you know that the tranny seals are cheap, and pretty easy to change, once the tranny is off the vehicle.

rdgfx3

Thank you for the lead. I'd looked at the site before and it's on my list as a potential source.
I'm going to check out some local shops tomorrow to see what I can do locally.
I saw your post about the SRC backlight but my 90 does not have SRC. The PO used the blank space for a Clifford Alarm indicator.
Cheers,
Gary

Check out... www.netgearhead.com

I have been to the shop and actually watched them rebuild a tranny. They have a factory trained tech, that does 99% of the rebuild by hand. This guy does a great job! Tranny's are cleaned, tore down, rebuilt to your spec's then dyno tested, painted(if you want) then returned to you. The other thing I find great, other then the price, is the fact that you get YOUR tranny back...not one off the shelf, which as a vette owner is a must. The owner is named Cory...give him a call or email...tell him Ray sent you...
They did one heck of a job on the tranny for my 86 Blazer..700-R4. It got some goodies in it...man what a difference. I am waiting for the tranny in my 85 to act up and in there she goes!

Hey guys...Corey with NetGearHead Transmissions.

Just thought I'd throw in my .02 and let you know about our remanufacturing service. We offer a nationwide rebuilding service which is 30-50% cheaper than local transmission shops. For the same price you would pay at a local transmission shop for a stock rebuild, we can do a custom performance build with any of the goodies you would like -- all with a 1 year warranty.

Technical information on the 700R4/4L60E can be found here:

http://www.netgearhead.com/700r4.asp

We also cater to the "do-it-yourselfer" builder. We carry the technical manuals, rebuild kits, tools hard parts & and performance parts at wholesale pricing.

I always offer $100 off for anyone who is a member of Corvette Action Center for our remanufacturing service. Just specify the Corvette Action Center discount.

Any questions just email me --- corey@netgearhead.com -- always willing to help!

-Corey Turner
NetGearHead Transmissions & Automotive
http://www.netgearhead.com

Corey,

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center and thank you for offering the discount to our members. :)

We've added Corey and NetGearHeads to the Members Discounts page linked above. Thanks again Corey!

I spoke to the folks at Bowtie (http://www.700r4.com/trans/levels.htm) and I'll probably drive out to Hesperia and have them rebuild my tranny as soon as I can round up the bucks.
I liked the site info, their respones on the phone, and the upgrades they include in a standard rebuild.
Thank you for your responses.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom