Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Automatic transmission engaging problem

dwalc0604

Corvette
1980 Mellow Yellow
I have a problem with my 1980 Corvette transmission/shifter not always engaging when I shift into forward. I have to take it out of forward and then shift it again. Any ideas? I had the transmission tuned and the shop could not find anything wrong.

I have a problem with my 1980 Corvette transmission/shifter not always engaging when I shift into forward. I have to take it out of forward and then shift it again. Any ideas? I had the transmission tuned and the shop could not find anything wrong.

You're saying you put it into DRIVE and it doesn't move foreword? First of all you need to check the way the shifter is shifting. It should make a distinct CLICK into each of the detents. If the shifter is acting normally check the oil level in PARK when it's running. If it's full pull the oil pan off and cut the filter open (if it's the later style) to look for signs of debris that is blocking the upward flow of oil. The TH350's came with 2 styles of filters; the early screen type and the later type that is enclosed in a stamped-steel housing.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom