Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Automatic Transmission Overheating

Donpat

Corvette
02 convertible & 06 convertible
Does anyone have a solution for the automatic transmission overheating? I have a 2014 Stingray non Z51. Went to a track day and the transmission temperature alarm went off so I was unable to complete. Was not driving harder than anyone else. Had a professional driving with me, coaxing on how to drive. Someone suggested using a different fluid?? Thanks!

Non-Z51 automatics are not good choices for track cars because they lack the coolers which come with Z51.

A switch to a premium synthetic ATF, such as what Red Line sells, may help but not eliminate the problem. You may be forced to run hard until the overtemp warning comes then let the trans cool off.

Also, sucessive overheating of the trans fluid will require the fluid be changed in spite of anything GM says in service data. Regular trans overtemp incidents may also shorten the life of the transmission and, in some cases, track use may void the powertrain warranty. Check with your dealer to know for sure.

Non-Z51 automatics are not good choices for track cars because they lack the coolers which come with Z51.

So true Hib. That's what the Z51 is for. I ran two hot laps around Virginia International before I backed off because the base Stingray isn't designed for continuous racing conditions. The whole Z51 package is designed to prevent the kind of issues that come up during track days on regular street cars, from brakes to engine oil issues to fluid temps.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom