Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Auxiliary Fan

I cleaned out in front of the radiator soon after purchase. Amazed at all the junk that collected. Not having any cooling issues. Just wanted the aux fan to kick in ahead of the primary fan.

Ken, Thanks. I'll pick one up and measure the closing temp before installing.
Please post how you make out, I'm interested in the lower Temp fan switch if it does if fact turn the fan on at 211* F. Let me know. Thanks.

I've contacted Advanced Auto. All local stores and suppliers do not have the FS4/TFS4 in stock. My local AA Store Manager is going to check with corporate and see if there is any inventory across the US. Price is $18.27, and this specific switch is not listed as a stock part for either a Camaro (305/350) or a Vette (Crossfire/L98).

They did have to order mine too. The rep did tell me it was listed for a 89 to 92 Camaro. Works fine. Turns on 212 off 200 aprox.

Here is an update. TFS4 switch is available via special order. Limited demand part, so selective stocking only. AA informed me that this is a BWD part. You can seach in the BWD online catalog under TFS4 which does show usage in a 89-92 Camaro. BWD Buyers' Guide

Just ordered the TFS4 fan switch from Advanced Auto. May take up to a week before it arrives. I'll test it out and post the results.

I tried to order the TFS4 switch from AA and they told me then have non in stock and non in their warehouse?? WTF! So I cannot even order the switch thru them??

Mid America Motorworks does sell a switch that closes at 200* F and opens at 185* F for $14.99 part# 609-106 That may be a little to much cooling but I might give it a try.

Try your chevy dealer. Tell them you need it for an 89 camaro 350 CI. Check the temps for open and close. I'll see if I can cross ref.

I tried to order the TFS4 switch from AA and they told me then have non in stock and non in their warehouse?? WTF! So I cannot even order the switch thru them??

Mid America Motorworks does sell a switch that closes at 200* F and opens at 185* F for $14.99 part# 609-106 That may be a little to much cooling but I might give it a try.

Try your chevy dealer. Tell them you need it for an 89 camaro 350 CI. Check the temps for open and close. I'll see if I can cross ref.

The AC delco # you cross referenced too (#D1855B) comes up as a part for a '90-'91 Camaro with 305 cu inch motor VIN E

It also cross references to a '92 Camaro RS with the same motor.

Various Caprices '86-'92 with the same 305 motor.

And '92-'93 Celebrities with 2.8L V6 motors VIN X

Are you sure this is the right part??

The AC delco # you cross referenced too (#D1855B) comes up as a part for a '90-'91 Camaro with 305 cu inch motor VIN E

It also cross references to a '92 Camaro RS with the same motor.

Various Caprices '86-'92 with the same 305 motor.

And '92-'93 Celebrities with 2.8L V6 motors VIN X

Are you sure this is the right part??

This is whats is in mine. If you go to the acdelcopatrs link on my last post you can cross ref the tfs4 and you will get the d1855b part as a cross ref. If you try to get one for a corvette you will have the 238* again.

Don't trust the cross ref tables. I've tried using info from Wells, BWD, ACDelco, AZ, and AA. All agree that a stock 1989 350 vette turns on the aux fan at 238 degrees F. So no issue on getting a stock replacement part. What we are after is a fan switch that opens ~ 211 degrees F, and turn off ~ 200. Ken provided the missing link. TFS4 is a valid BWD part number. Yes it does cross ref to an 1989 Camaro, but that doesn't mean it is the stock fan switch. At the AA store, I had in my hands the two fan switches that the 1989 305/350 uses. These fans switches were rated to turn on at either 230 or 238 degrees F. Not what we want. So I'm using what Ken discovered, and ordered a TFS4 fan switch from AA. The AA store manager had to special order this part because it was not even stocked at their local warehouses. It should arrive this week, and I'll bench test it on the stove and post the results.

OK after further reveiw......

The local Advance Auto counter retards, all of them, including the manager told me we can't order a BWD TSF4 coolant temperature switch for you because we don't stock it...... the warehouse doesn't have any...... we don't know how to place a special order when the warehouse shows no stock.... WTF!!!!!!

So thanks to Ken, YES!!! The AC Delco part # D1855B witch crosses to a GM part #14043275 can be ordered thru any Chevy dealer. It is a low Temp grounding switch turning the fan on at ~ 215* F and off at 200* F

Not to be confused with the OEM switch AC Delco part# D1852B witch crosses to a GM part #14043276. This is the OEM Temp grounding switch that turns the fan on ~ 238* F

For those of you looking for more cooling MAM (Mid America Autoworks) does sell an even lower Temp switch witch will turn on at at 200* F and off at 185* F, part #609-106 $14.99

OK after further reveiw......

The local Advance Auto counter retards, all of them, including the manager told me we can't order a BWD TSF4 coolant temperature switch for you because we don't stock it...... the warehouse doesn't have any...... we don't know how to place a special order when the warehouse shows no stock.... WTF!!!!!!

So thanks to Ken, YES!!! The AC Delco part # D1855B witch crosses to a GM part #14043275 can be ordered thru any Chevy dealer. It is a low Temp grounding switch turning the fan on at ~ 215* F and off at 200* F

Not to be confused with the OEM switch AC Delco part# D1852B witch crosses to a GM part #14043276. This is the OEM Temp grounding switch that turns the fan on ~ 238* F

For those of you looking for more cooling MAM (Mid America Autoworks) does sell an even lower Temp switch witch will turn on at at 200* F and off at 185* F, part #609-106 $14.99

You can use the mid america on at 200* off 185*. However if you run a 190* thermostat it may never turn off. If you are running a 180* thermostat it would be just fine.:beer

Picked up the BWD TFS4 switch last night from AA. Made in USA. They claim it is stocked only at their warehouse hubs and remains available for special order. I will test it shortly and post the results.

Here are the results of a simple stove test with the TFS4 fan switch and a 50/50 mixture of coolant.

Closed / open temp in degrees F
Test 1: 219.8 / 199.7
Test 2: 220.2 / 199.8
Test 3: 220.3 / 199.8

I was expecting results closer to 215 / 200. However, 220 is better than 238. This will allow the aux fan to kick in ahead of the primary fan which is controlled by the ECM. Unless we get a few warm days, installing this fan switch will need to wait till next year. Appreciate those who posted key input that helped us all better understand these fan switches.

It is a ten minute job. I had everything ready to go and just pulled the old out and pluged the new in with my other hand. A small top off on the radiator and done. Make sure you use an anti seize on the threads.

Mine did close at a lower temp in the car 211*. Yours may too.

Ken, The new fan switch came with the white teflon tape already installed. Can you replace it with the hood open, or do you need to crawl under the car? I've got the vette all covered up, but run it every 3-4 weeks.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom