Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

awful sound!!??

rowingone

Corvette
1964 conv
OK so I just reinstalled my intake manifold and had a hell of a time trying to align the oil pickup gear . . . am I supposed to align it by inserting a screwdriver in the visible slot when the distributor is out . . well that's what I did and finally got the distributor to drop . . but the oil pump shaft when I turned it was loose . . . . like it wobbled from side to side . . is this correct . . now I went to crank it and there is this awful metallic sound . . help!!!!!!!!

It's not unusual for the top (slotted) end of the oil pump shaft to wobble around a bit - that's why the bottom end of the drive gear on the distributor is chamfered, to help guide the top end of the shaft into the end of the gear when you install the distributor. Your shaft may have been loose enough that the end of the oil pump shaft is NEXT to the gear instead of inside it - is the distributor shaft turning when you crank it?

thanks for the quick reply John . . . I am really worried about that sound!! I pulled the distributor back out to see is anything was torn up and everything looks ok . . I am just afraid to crank it anymore until I know what that sound is . . . if the oil pump was outside the distributor would it make that awful sound?

Is the distributor fully-seated down on the intake? If not, the slot in the top of the oil pump shaft isn't engaging the blade inside the end of the gear that drives it, but the distributor will still turn, although the distributor gear and the cam gear aren't fully engaged.

Yes I made sure it was fully seated with the dist gasket in place . . should I worry about the wobble in the oil pump shaft . . should the oil pump be replaced? I cant imagine what is making that noise if the dist is fully seated and turning . . then the gears have to be properly meshed right?? The car ran perfect prior to changing the intake manifold . . .

Does the oil pressure gauge show anything on it when the engine is turning over? If the intermediate shaft was wobbling horribly prior to installation of the distributor it could be that the distributor shaft has pushed it aside and it is hitting against the turning distributor shaft and making the horrible noise.

The distributor is operated by the gear intersecting with the drive gear on the camshaft. The distributor drives the oil pump through the intermediate shaft.

Rich

I guess the question is should I keep cranking if I dont know what the noise is . . . I guess I have no choice . . . if I get oil pressure than the problem is something else . . but the odd thing is I have done nothing other than change the intake and reinstall the distributor.

Also how long do I crank before I would expect to see oil pressure?

You should see oil pressure in three to eight seconds cranking. The gauge should be moving in the right direction. You won't achieve full pressure but if the gauge is reacting positively the intermediate shaft is being driven by the distributor shaft and the oil pump is working.

Rich

Thanks Rich . . . I appreciate the help . . . I will look at it tomorrow.

Dont crank yet

What is the noise?

Are all tool present and accounted for. is there anychance something could have dropped down an intake runner?

All tools etc accounted for . . . I'm sure nothing got dropped down anywhere . . thinking maybe I should crank it with the distributor out and see if the noise goes away . . dont know what else to do . .

Thanks Magicv8, Rich, and John . . . all is well again . . evidently the distributor was not engaging the oil pump shaft . . . solved that and the car runs perfect again . . .I"m thinking my next project might be an oil pump replacement . . that shaft just seems too wobbly to me. I cant express how much you all have helped me through this process . . . I am nearing completion and the car has turned out beautifully . . . thanks in part to all those on this forum that have so much knowledge and are eager to share . . I could not have done as good a job nor kept my frustration to a minimum (ok well most of the time) without the help here! Cheers to all!!

Thanks Magicv8, Rich, and John . . . all is well again . . evidently the distributor was not engaging the oil pump shaft . . . solved that and the car runs perfect again . . .I"m thinking my next project might be an oil pump replacement . . that shaft just seems too wobbly to me. I cant express how much you all have helped me through this process . . . I am nearing completion and the car has turned out beautifully . . . thanks in part to all those on this forum that have so much knowledge and are eager to share . . I could not have done as good a job nor kept my frustration to a minimum (ok well most of the time) without the help here! Cheers to all!!

I wouldn't worry about the shaft appearing loose, it is extremely loose and floppy before reinstalling the distributor, the distributor holds it into alignment.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom