Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

axle choices

Y

Yup

Could someone explain the axle choices on the 2003 vettes (reg. to performance). ie performance(is the performance axle needed), gas mileage difference, RPM difference at highway speeds, and anything else of importance. I read a review that said the regular axle is more disireable because there is plenty of accelleration with it (I won't be racing)and the engine will run slower at highway speeds so it is quiter(I like that). I recently ordered a 50th anniv coupe and the dealer mistakenly ordered it with a performance axle. He says he can't change the order. Is this true. The production date is Aug 16th.

Thanks
Yup

(I can only hope you won't be mistakenly charged for this mistakenly-ordered-by-the-dealer option, esp. if you weren't told about it beforehand.)

Only the A4 has axle options, either the no-charge 2.73 or the optional ($) high-performance axle with a ratio of 3:15. If you do the math, the perf. axle is 15% higher in ratio, not a tremendous difference, but noticable to those who've driven both.

I did all the mathematical calculations between to the two axles early in 2001 prior to ordering my car, but never recorded them. Sorry.

What I do know is that the 3:15 is a bit quicker off the line (the popular opinion here is that GM included this option to bring the A4s 0-60mph times down to the 4.7sec range, closer to the 6-speeds). The trade off is higher cruise RPM and the increased engine noise that goes with it, lower gas mileage (how much lower I can't answer, but someone else here certainly could), and lower top speed (my guess is 168mph vs 175mph).

Unless you plan on driving at highway speeds for hours on end, the 3:15 will make you smile more, esp. after you've dusted off everybody at the last traffic light.

Yup: I noticed you said your production date was Aug. 16. When did your order get entered? My 2003 order went in on June 17. Just curious. I also ordered the performance axle. I was told it was the only way to go. Thanks.

luckyi

The order was placed on June 28th I believe. The dealer had not sold his 50th anniv. vette so he placed the order then so he wouldn't loose it. I called him on June 29th to see if there was a 50th available. He said yes but he had ordered a conv. and I wanted a coupe. He changed the order on July 1st to a coupe.

Yup

Did you guys order the Selective Magnetic Ride Control? I'm dyin' to get some real feedback on this new technology. Thanks!

I did not order the magnetic ride control. I hope I do not regret it.

Jim

Wow. I think I would have ordered it, based on my seat-of-the-pants experience in the Indy Pace car. Back in April, I was incredibly lucky enough to get a few "hot laps" around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in the 50th Anniversary model Pace Car, equipped with the Selective Magnetic Ride Control.

The one thing I remember, apart from the fact that the whole thing was over too quickly, was that the car stuck to the pavement like the tires were covered in rubber cement - we were doing 120+mph in the turns and there was absolutely no hint of losing grip - Chevy asked that the cars not be driven over 140mph.

Two things of interest here: 1) the tires were the Z06 SuperCar tires on an otherwise stock coupe, on coupe wheels, not Z06 wheels. Tire pressures were somewhere around 42-44 psi. 2) there was a noticeable improvement in overall ride quality, even with the SMRC set at "sport" which is supposedly a rock hard setting, over my coupe's stock suspension which is quite soft. Amazing, considering the high tire pressures.

tire pressure and Magnetic ride

I would definately have ordered the magnetic ride. Cutting edge technology and all. I would also hound the dealer to change the order to what you want. Don't "settle" on a $50,000 car.
As far as tire pressure, I have EMTs on the 99 and the pressure seems to be around 34psi. Bouncing between 30 and 34. Is this correct?
--Drew:w

Your EMTs should be set to 30psi cold, 33 hot.

There's a 1psi change in the static tire pressure for every 10 degrees of change on the thermometer...which means that if you initially set them to 30psi at 50 deg. and if the outside air temp rises to 100 deg., the cold inflation pressure would rise to 35psi and leap up to 38psi when warmed up.

Just check 'em "cold", before driving, and set 'em to 30 psi regardless of ambient temperature. Just remember, if you let some air out in July, you'll have to put some back in when the cold air arrives in the fall.

My '99 Vette has the 3.15 performance axle, and the MPG is about 20. Not too bad especially when my mom's V6 Toyota Solara makes about the same.

Oh yeah???

And I'll bet your vette is a whole lot more fun to drive.:Twist

Well I went to my dealer this morning and ordered the magnetic ride control. Hope everyone in right.

Jim

Indiana

Well, if the roads in your part of Indiana are anything like the roads in my part of Indiana...you will be glad you did.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom