Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Back in the saddle

Larry McIntosh

Corvette
1996 LT-4 Collectors Edition
I am back in the loop. Purchased a collector edition, LT-4. I am looking forward to getting to know some of the owners in my part of the country. It's been 22 years since I sold my last Vette. Started with a 1962, 340hp, to a 1966, coupe, 327, 350 hp 4 speed, to a 1978 L-82 4 speed, which was quite a let down in horse power. I am impressed with this LT-4.
Larry

Welcome back, you’ve had an impressive stable of Corvettes!

Congrats on your CE LT4... the LT4s are pretty entertaining, a Collectors Edition is all the more special.

B17Crew
:w

LT4 CE - nice saddle to climb back on.

Enjoy. :)

I'll bet you were a little disappointed with the power of the 78 compared to the other two you had! Welcome to CAC and I'm pretty sure you are going to like your LT4.

LT-4

When I bought the 78 L-82 new, I was sorry. I drove it until 1986 then sold it. It was a pretty car, black with oyster interior. I had the four speed, and it only had 225 hp. I should have know better, but It was a nicer ride than the 1966. I also bought the 66 new, and my buddy still has it. It was a little firmer, but it was a quick car, blue, and knockoffs. It had the offroad exhaust on it, same as the side exhaust, but was under the body. The 1962 was a used car that I bought for $950.00. The last of the solid axle, four speed, both tops, and a great car. Took a trip to Reno in 1964, and average 110mph for one hour across Nevada. That was a lot of fun. I had long gears in it and it just was fun. Of course the new breed of Vettes are fast, but in those days remember it was a solid axle, rough ride. I did bore it out to 340 cubic inches, and I had long gears in it. Anyway I know this LT-4 is a quick car, I just can't believe that it is only 330 hp. I love the six speed, how it handles, and of course the looks. This looks like a great info form, I am going to keep informed on all the new information on these new Vetts.
Larry

Anyway I know this LT-4 is a quick car, I just can't believe that it is only 330 hp.Larry

Oh no!!! You will have to do searches about the LT4 and the supposed horsepower and torque rating! :boogie

BTW, welcome to CAC!

The Vette with the off-road exhaust mounted under the car: Was it more manageable than the side pipe mounting?

SAVE THE :w

off road pipes

Yes it was quiet inside. My buddy has a 67 with the same engine hp, and he has the side pipes. It looks great, but has more of a low rumble inside. He still has his vette. Performance was the same.

Larry,

Glad to have you back in the World of Corvettes! And, yes, the LT4 certainly feels like more than 330 hp, doesn't it?! There's always been a rumor that it actually is more than 330, but that couldn't be advertised as such because of the "new" 345 hp coming out in '97. Who knows?!

Elaine

Welcome back!

I just can't believe that it is only 330 hp.
I think the HP numbers mean less and less each day, for whatever reason, and I can come up with several.

I had a loaded dark blue '79 L-82 4-speed at one time, with the pretty oyster leather and F+R spoilers. Not too quick, but darn perty!

I gave #7 back to the Chevy dealer, so am still on #6.

Remember the wave! :w

Pictures?

Jan Ann I don't have a clue how to post pictures on the internet. I also don't know how to change my post to what kind of Vette I have. I sure like the looks of the vettes I have seen sofar. By the way I was detailing my LT-4 wheels and had taken off three of them one at a time, and was on my fourth one and could not get it off the hub. I don't want to pound on it. Any ideas out there. Thanks Larry

Larry, here are a couple of threads from the Site Help and Feedback Forum which should be very useful for posting pix.

If you need to resize large photos - Click to Resize

To upload photos into your posts - Click to Upload

If you have problems or questions about posting pix and can't find the answers in those 2 threads, post a new thread in this forum - Click here for Site Help and Feedback Forum

:wJane Ann

Larry - as for adding your model Corvette go to your UserCP or User Control Panel and select Edit your details - Step 1. and 2. in this photo:

HomePageURL_1.jpg

Ignore step 3. as it doesn't pertain to your situation.
Instead, scroll about 2/3 of the way down that page and you'll see the Additional Information box.

Inside that box is a section to type in your model and color Corvette.

After you enter the info click on Save Changes as diplayed by Step 4 and you're done.

:w

Jan Ann I don't have a clue how to post pictures on the internet. I also don't know how to change my post to what kind of Vette I have. I sure like the looks of the vettes I have seen sofar. By the way I was detailing my LT-4 wheels and had taken off three of them one at a time, and was on my fourth one and could not get it off the hub. I don't want to pound on it. Any ideas out there. Thanks Larry

Larry our wheels are "hub centric" meaning that the wheel center fit over the raised center on the hub, and that is what makes sure that the wheels are centered. (In the past many wheels were bolt centric. If I am wrong someone please speak up) Anyway what has probably happened is a bit of corrosion has developed (Galvanic Action). The dissimilar metals (steel hubs and aluminum wheels) can do this.

Now, to try and answer your question..... I personally would sit down on the floor (I am assuming that you have it jacked up with a floor jack and on jack stands for safety) and kick the wheel/tire a bit to break it loose.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom