Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Bad news or worse news?

Pinky

Corvette
1998 Torch Red Convertible
A few threads back I posed a question about my '98 convertible (automatic), but I'm starting to get worried that I will never drive my poor baby again. Here's the problem: a few months ago the car started developing a brake shudder; since I wasn't driving it far or often I didn't get it looked at (it has 45,000 miles so I figured it probably needed new brakes/rotors/whatever). Then last month we moved about 15 miles and the last trip I took in the car, there was a sound like new tire noise (you know, that loud rubber hitting the road sound) - like if the top was down and you were doing 80 mph but the top was up and I was doing maybe 50. The sound doesn't start until about 25-30 mph. Mr. Pinky, who is generally speaking a great mechanic (this is our first Vette tho), first said sounds like a bearing. Then yesterday he said "CV joint". I'm going to stop having him diagnose it, it's just sounding more expensive every time!

So the short question is - any ideas? And if it's either of the above, would it be likely covered under the warranty (I purchased the extended warranty)? I feel that major things shouldn't be happening on a car with only 45,000 miles especially since it hasn't been abused and has been "dealer inspected" every time I take it in.

I want to drive my car! It's been in the garage a month now and I'm starting to get the shakes and maybe DTs!!

HI there,
That really depends on how long the car had been sitting since you drove it last.
Honestly, if these cars sit for more than a month without being driven, the tires will develop flat spotting which sounds horrible.
The only fix, is to drive the vehicle a while till the tire gets hot and starts to even out.
You have a 50/50 shot that the tires will become round again.
That would be suggested to try first.
CVjoint, not unless when you put the car in neutral, the vibration goes away.
Allthebest, c4c5

Thanks c4c5 - the car is my daily driver so it had not been sitting for any length of time other than overnight I meant to say it was only driven about 8 miles a day to work and back, Mon-Fri. Since it's an automatic I don't really want to try putting it in neutral doing 30 mph...and of course there is no noise (not really a vibration) when the car is at idle.

I don't know if it has anything to do with the same problem, but we also just noticed the wheel on the same side as the noise is coming from (rear passenger) has a crack where ones of the spokes joins the rim. They are the stock wagon-wheels. Also on that wheel the TPM sensor has never worked properly, sometimes it works and other times it gives the "XXX" reading. So I am in the habit of checking the tire pressure on that tire and it has been and still is fine.

I know I'm going to have to give in and take it to the dealer, I just want to be prepared.

Just an idea.
It sounds like you have isolated the trouble to the wheel. If air pressure is good (gauge tested), and you see a crack, the crack may shift around at speed. Also is it possible that the tire pressure sensor is bouncing around in there??

Just an idea.
Also is it possible that the tire pressure sensor is bouncing around in there??

That was MY thought - I've done a visual inspection and I can't see anything hanging/loose/rubbing around the axle but I don't know what the tire pressure sensor looks like from this viewpoint. I think we just need to get it up on a lift since neither of us can fit under it even when it's on jack stands! :chuckle

This is a pretty big unit to be floating around.
http:////www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=35465&dept_id=1408

I would think that a broken TPMS unit would make less noise at speed due to centrifugal force. A cracked rim on the other hand is something you should have looked at by a mechanic immediately as it mey be dangerous to drive on. It might be a good time to use that extended warranty. Good luck.
PS. Check out COCSD.com and pm me if interested, there are a lot of knowledgeable members here who could help you and you could get discounts at local supporting shops.

I would think that a broken TPMS unit would make less noise at speed due to centrifugal force. A cracked rim on the other hand is something you should have looked at by a mechanic immediately as it mey be dangerous to drive on.

iagree.gif
iagree.gif
iagree.gif

If you have a Spoke visually cracked,"DO NOT DRIVE" that Vehicle anywhere!!!:eek:hnoes:eek:hnoes:eek:hnoes:eek:hnoes:eek:hnoes
There probably are other spokes with hair line cracks that you can't see yet!!

The Life you save may be yours!!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

:w

If you have a Spoke visually cracked,"DO NOT DRIVE" that Vehicle anywhere!!!:eek:hnoes:eek:hnoes:eek:hnoes:eek:hnoes:eek:hnoes
There probably are other spokes with hair line cracks that you can't see yet!!

The Life you save may be yours!!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

:w

Thanks Junkie - that's the major reason I haven't taken it in to diagnose the problem, I'm putting new wheels on before I drive it 14 miles down the freeway to the dealer!
:eek

Semi-update (because I KNOW you are all on the edge of your seat wondering about this): last Saturday replaced the wheel which was not only cracked but bent to s#!*. I sure don't know how that happened (my story & I'm sticking to it)! The handling was of course improved with this repair but the sound & vibration is still there. I'm taking it (slowly, via back roads) to the dealer this Saturday for the rocking-chair repair and rear end diagnosis. :eek:hnoes

I was reading on "another" forum about problems with the torque tube - anyone here ever dealt with that? The torque tube, not the other forum, I've already ascertained "they" are a bunch of snobs. :boogie

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom