Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ball joint dust boot covers

twoseater

Corvette
1965 Blue Vert, 1980 White Coupe
Hello - I am in the process of rebuilding the front end on my '65. I bought a nice kit from zip. However, the ball joints in the upper arms already have to boot covers installed. The boot cover does not fit thought the arm and therefore has to be removed and re-installed once in place.

following these instructions:http://www.vbandp.com/how-to-videos/corvette-doc/doc_download/59-upper-ball-joints.html

How the heck do you get the covers off? Any tricks? I tried prying with a dull chisel and other various tools. I'm beginning to damage the cover so here I am posting!

i have another style of ball joint that just fits in the hole - this "deluxe" style doesn't appear to.

any ideas anyone?

here is a pict of the ball joint:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
The boot isn't removable - I'd call Zip and have them send you the correct ball joints that don't have to be destroyed to install them. :thumb

The boot isn't removable - I'd call Zip and have them send you the correct ball joints that don't have to be destroyed to install them. :thumb

Thanks John - the ball joints (upper and lower) are marked as correct parts. I was able to do it with a little wd40 and prying it down slowly. Now that its off, I see its just "pressed" on. I reinstalled the boot with a large socket.

I will still call them but I have gotten it back together.

thank you for your response!

Thanks John - the ball joints (upper and lower) are marked as correct parts. I was able to do it with a little wd40 and prying it down slowly. Now that its off, I see its just "pressed" on. I reinstalled the boot with a large socket.

I will still call them but I have gotten it back together.

thank you for your response!

I need to remove and replace the boot on one of my ball joints, it's cracked. And since it's all apart I'd like to replace the rest of them too. Can you or anyone explain how to remove the boot and replace with a new one?
Also I need the boots and would like to replace with the original ones. Can anyone help me find the original style replacement boots?
Thx, John

I need to remove and replace the boot on one of my ball joints, it's cracked. And since it's all apart I'd like to replace the rest of them too. Can you or anyone explain how to remove the boot and replace with a new one?
Also I need the boots and would like to replace with the original ones. Can anyone help me find the original style replacement boots?
Thx, John

Talk to Bair's in Linesville, Pennsylvania (Yogi Bair's Parts & Service For Corvettes) and see what they can do for you.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom