Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Battery Change Procedure 96 C4

John Mekisich

Corvette
1996 LT4 Coupe
What is the procedure to remove front fender for access to change battery on a 96 C4? Have FSM but it is more confusing than helpful. There is a rear lower bolt that I see no way to get to, which means I am missing something. Any assistance would be appreciated!

What is the procedure to remove front fender for access to change battery on a 96 C4? Have FSM but it is more confusing than helpful. There is a rear lower bolt that I see no way to get to, which means I am missing something. Any assistance would be appreciated!

First take a look at the gap between the gill panel with the front door edge so you know what it should look like when you reinstall it. ;)

The bottom bolt needs to be loosened about 3/4 of a turn you do not remove it. A thin open end wrench makes it easier but a normal thickness one will work just be careful you don't scratch the paint. The top bolt sometimes has shims under it to adjust the gill panel gap so beware of that when you remove that bolt. In the video the guy has mud flaps which are held on by the factory torx bolts.

The battery is secured to the battery tray by a wedge on the back side of the battery.

Click on the video link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk03-roWP2A

Last edited by a moderator:
Watch when you reassemble the panel to the car, that tab on the bottom of the panel. If you get it between the head of the bolt and the washer and tighten the bolt, the head will dig into the panel and bury the head. That's what was done to my car and it was a bear getting the bolt loose, because it was next to impossible to get a wrench onto the head. Mine took probably an hour to eventually get that one bolt loose instead of the usual 3-5 minutes.

When you put it back together, insure the tab is above the washer on the bottom. Just a warning of a problem you can make for yourself.

C4 Battery Removal

Watch when you reassemble the panel to the car, that tab on the bottom of the panel. If you get it between the head of the bolt and the washer and tighten the bolt, the head will dig into the panel and bury the head. That's what was done to my car and it was a bear getting the bolt loose, because it was next to impossible to get a wrench onto the head. Mine took probably an hour to eventually get that one bolt loose instead of the usual 3-5 minutes.

When you put it back together, insure the tab is above the washer on the bottom. Just a warning of a problem you can make for yourself.

I see how what you describe can happen. Appreciate your input and ECSS' link to video. Should be able to get it done now!

If you take the two small torx screws out of the rocker panel just under the 3 larger ones to the side panel it will allow a bit of flex to the rocker to get at the lower 10mm you can not see.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom