Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Battery Drain 1984 Vette

W

wwayne90

Hi::: Still having problem with my battery draining after 2 to 3 days of sitting,let me tell you what I have done so far.I used my test light the clip on the negitive cable and the point on the post, than started removing fuses
to see what circuit is bad,the test light never went out,I found two more fuses in the engine compartment tried them light still not out, found another fuse behind the DIC, tried that no luck,also pulled all the relays I could find, to see maybe a sticking relay,light still on,now Im confused,what can I try now,Ive have got to find this,when I sell this I want that fixed,I cant see screwing anyone.I also checked the altanator,no problem their.could it be the starter or silenoid even when the car isnt running,PLEASE HELP ME Thanks Wayne

Hi::: Still having problem with my battery draining after 2 to 3 days of sitting,let me tell you what I have done so far.I used my test light the clip on the negitive cable and the point on the post, than started removing fuses
to see what circuit is bad,the test light never went out,I found two more fuses in the engine compartment tried them light still not out, found another fuse behind the DIC, tried that no luck,also pulled all the relays I could find, to see maybe a sticking relay,light still on,now Im confused,what can I try now,Ive have got to find this,when I sell this I want that fixed,I cant see screwing anyone.I also checked the altanator,no problem their.could it be the starter or silenoid even when the car isnt running,PLEASE HELP ME Thanks Wayne

Disconnect the alternator and re-do your test. You may have a shorted diode in the rectifier or a bad diode trio.

Battery Drain

Disconnect the alternator and re-do your test. You may have a shorted diode in the rectifier or a bad diode trio.

i will try this Bigjim i know its possible but I just bought it a few months ago,but I will give it a try,and if thats not it,what than Bigjim,it sounds like you know alittle about cars,thats good,its nice to hear from someone thats
got it on the ball,thanks jim wayne

battery drain

i will try this Bigjim i know its possible but I just bought it a few months ago,but I will give it a try,and if thats not it,what than Bigjim,it sounds like you know alittle about cars,thats good,its nice to hear from someone thats
got it on the ball,thanks jim wayne

Hey Bigjim:: I did what you told me to the alt. no luck,light still on,what would be your next step,hope Im not bothering you to much, if I do, just let me know,just dont know what else to do,to expensive to take to a garage. Thanks Bigjim Wayne

Hey Bigjim:: I did what you told me to the alt. no luck,light still on,what would be your next step,hope Im not bothering you to much, if I do, just let me know,just dont know what else to do,to expensive to take to a garage. Thanks Bigjim Wayne

Did you completely disconnect the alternator? ie. main battery cable AND the regulator connector?

Hey Bigjim:: Yes I completly unhooked the alternator.

Next place to isolate is on the top of the starter solenoid, there is the main cable and a couple of smaller wires attached, many of the small cables have fusable links on them.

battery drain

Next place to isolate is on the top of the starter solenoid, there is the main cable and a couple of smaller wires attached, many of the small cables have fusable links on them.

Hey Bigjim:: I checked the starter and solenoid, plus, the fusable links,the light still stays on,anything else to check before I pull my hair out,boy somethings are frustrating,if you have had enough jim I will understand,thanks Bigjim. Wayne

On my 1984 the battery drain was caused by a bad headlight motor. Had the motor replaced and the battery stays charged.

On my 1984 the battery drain was caused by a bad headlight motor. Had the motor replaced and the battery stays charged.

Hey L83 I unhooked both of my lights but still had a drain,thanks anyways,still looking for the problem.

I think it may be time to break out a DVM and find out what kind of cuurent draw you actually have. It seems as though you've covered all of the loads. Do you have a Helms manual? I think it would help to have the schematics in front of you and follow the factory troubleshooting guide.

Years ago I had an '87 that had the same type of problem. It turned out to be the power window switch in the up position. I would put the windows up prior to shutting off the car and the switch would stay energized and draw down the battery. I think this was also causing me to go through alternators on a annual basis. The switches were pieces of junk. Good luck!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom