Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Battery Lead

Space Cowboy

Corvette
1968 Convertible - Candy Apple - 427/475+
Where does the postive lead from the battery connect to? I attempted to trace it back from the battery, but lost it under some insulation. I'm assuming it only goes to the starter... or does it connect somewhere else?

Thanks!

Where does the postive lead from the battery connect to? I attempted to trace it back from the battery, but lost it under some insulation. I'm assuming it only goes to the starter... or does it connect somewhere else?

Thanks!
Positive go's to the starter and is distributed from there!!:upthumbs

Positive go's to the starter and is distributed from there!!:upthumbs

Okay... thats kinda what I thought. So here is the secondary question/scenario.

I have a dual battery setup with a Perko (250amp rated) switch. I recently had to install a single wire (internally regulated) 200amp alternator.

The switch has 3 posts. one for (+) post of battery #1, another for (+) post of battery #2, and the last is a common. The (-) post of both batteries connected directly to each other. What use to be the original battery cable running from the starter to the (+) post of the battery is now connected to the common of the switch. The wire from the alternator is also connected to the common of the switch to enable both batteries to be charged.

See attached drawing.

I'm wanting to make sure that connecting the wire from the alternator to the switch common isn't going to fry anything on the starter end or anything else thats connected at the starter.

Thanks

Okay... thats kinda what I thought. So here is the secondary question/scenario.

I have a dual battery setup with a Perko (250amp rated) switch. I recently had to install a single wire (internally regulated) 200amp alternator.

The switch has 3 posts. one for (+) post of battery #1, another for (+) post of battery #2, and the last is a common. The (-) post of both batteries connected directly to each other. What use to be the original battery cable running from the starter to the (+) post of the battery is now connected to the common of the switch. The wire from the alternator is also connected to the common of the switch to enable both batteries to be charged.

See attached drawing.

I'm wanting to make sure that connecting the wire from the alternator to the switch common isn't going to fry anything on the starter end or anything else thats connected at the starter.

Thanks

Buddy if you are using the term "Common" to mean negative then you are going to fry something for sure. The lead from the Alternator is a + not a negative. If you connect that + to a negative or "Common" you are going to fry yourself for sure. Try explaining this again and only Use the Term "Common" for ground or negative.

That's basic boat battery technology with marine transfer switches.
That will work, but will only charge the battery that it is switched to at the time.
You could Y the alternator lead to both positive switch leads with 200Amp diodes in-line with the Y leads to isolate the batteries from each other.
Perko makes a different transfer switch that has positions for BATT1 , BATT2, and BOTH.

That will work, but will only charge the battery that it is switched to at the time.
You could Y the alternator lead to both positive switch leads with 200Amp diodes in-line with the Y leads to isolate the batteries from each other.
:upthumbs:cool

Buddy if you are using the term "Common" to mean negative then you are going to fry something for sure. The lead from the Alternator is a + not a negative. If you connect that + to a negative or "Common" you are going to fry yourself for sure. Try explaining this again and only Use the Term "Common" for ground or negative.

Noooo... Common, meaning common to both positives. I'm not that crazy... YET!

Perko makes a different transfer switch that has positions for BATT1 , BATT2, and BOTH.

I have the Perko 8501 which has all the positions you mentioned... plus an OFF position. Glad to know I won't fry anything. You know how it is when you've spent tons of money restoring something, and you want to be extra careful not to let it go up in smoke! :L

Thanks

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom