Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Battery Life of 79 vette

repinsnug

Corvette
1979 silver
Hi guys,

A few months ago I installed a new pioneer head unit as well as some new 4x5 in the dash of my 79. I turned the car on to accersory mode and ran the radio for about 9 minutes. Afterwards I tried to turn the car over and the battery was dead. I took the battery to get tested and they said nothing was wrong with it. My questions are, what is the normal run time for a vette radio while in accessory mode? And if my run time was not normal what could be the problem?

Thanks

Test the alternator

If the battery is good then the alternator is suspect. Start your car and put a voltmeter across the terminals of you battery, you should see almost 14 volts indicating a healthy charging system. If you see under 13 volts the alternator is bad. A loose belt on the alternator will cause a similar problem too, it can allow the belt to slip and the alternator will not spin fast enough to do it's job.

While you need to check for a draw, if the battery came from a chain store it may still be faulty. ORiles drove me nuts with a battery last week. Dead overnight in customer's car, took it in for replacement and the counter "expert" had to have it all day to charge and test. It took a full charge so there was nothing wrong with it except it was dead again the next morning after sitting all night in my pick up's bed.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom