Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Battery: Optima Red Top.... large or small?

01TriBlack

I'm going to pick up a battery for the car today. When I was calling around for prices, one place asked if I was inquiring about the large or small? Say what? What is the difference? Which do I want? :confused

Am using a yellow top with good results. I have had no problems both with the install and continued use. Heck, even while the car is in storage, it is far stronger than the delco.

Hi, Singledad. :) Do you know what the difference is in the yellow and red tops? Is one "better" than the other? I could probably get by with the Delco after fully re-charging it, but I'm tired of the thing being dead after 3 days. Grrrrr.

Because I store my baby during the winter I do need cold cranking amps. The yellow top provides it. Considering the problems with the delco leaking on your wiring and computers, why consider second best. Change your battery. Red tops are good for amp eating stuff such as music, hp and other big draws. Yellow is good for cold, and consistency.

Thanks so much for the info, Singledad. Precisely the sort of thing I wanted to know in order to make a decision. I wished I'd read this before going out and finding a battery. I got the red top.... had I read this first, I'd have gotten the yellow top.

Now I'm off to find a new sound system - this stock system is absolutely, unequivocally the worst sounding (and unreliable) system I've heard in a car. Un-freakin'-believable for the cost of these cars.

Have a great weekend! :w

01TriBlack said:

Now I'm off to find a new sound system - this stock system is absolutely, unequivocally the worst sounding (and unreliable) system I've heard in a car. Un-freakin'-believable for the cost of these cars.
so true.....................

The Optima Red Top 78/34 (large) is rated at 900 CCA. The Yellow Top is slightly less but can handle more discharge/recharge cycles when you have large current draws (amps, etc). The Yellow Top is also better if the car is stored for long periods.

Battery

01TriBlack said:
I'm going to pick up a battery for the car today. When I was calling around for prices, one place asked if I was inquiring about the large or small? Say what? What is the difference? Which do I want? :confused
Get the Optima RedTop 730amp about $110. and you will be very satisfied. I replaced my AC Delco 500amp made in Mexico after 10 jump starts. Came in my 02 Coupe as original equipment. Sent a nasty letter to GM about it also.

Remember the small red-top is closer to the Glass Mat in weight

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom