Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Battery Replacement

jojo1

Corvette
1996 white coupe
Greetings,

Would like to replace my battery in the 96 vette with optima battery. It seems that they do not make a direct replacement for it. Does anyone know a optima that will fit ? Product number
Thanks
jojo

All the Optimas are dual terminal units which don't bolt into a C4.

Nope, an Optima guy hangs out here too and already answered the same question for me. "Not enough interest" for a drop in replacement. GM still sells the correct drop in and all the ones I have bought have lasted 5 or more years with the use of a Battery Tender.

I tried to put in an Optima in my '94. The inboard top post comes into contact with the Cruise reservoir mount, which calls for a hack. I wasn't interested in hackin' the car. So if you hack the post, you can put some butter on the Optima warranty, cause it will be

toast.jpg

YUP!

Interesting on 2 counts:

1) Had an Optima for at least 5 years and it fits fine with NO ALTERATIONS.

2) Oddly the Optima Battery site doesnt list an application...BUT IT FITS;shrug;shrug

Interesting on 2 counts:

1) Had an Optima for at least 5 years and it fits fine with NO ALTERATIONS.

2) Oddly the Optima Battery site doesnt list an application...BUT IT FITS;shrug;shrug
Heres another 2...I have an Optima 800U on my '88 C4. It came from my sons' '84 C4,5 years ago,as the mechanic told him it "was bad". The label says it was installed in July 1999.........Roger....:w

batteries usually come in groups ie. 24 F or R. find the right group with gm side post mounts and you should have no problem 24 series is the most common battery size

My '87 took an Optima. The '94, to which I referred above, did not...

Ok.
You guys got me on this one...don'tcha love it?:chuckle

Let me restate...

The proper Redtop and Yellowtop Optimas are dual terminal units which do not bolt into C4s earlier than 1989 unless the left side hood-latch-mount-to-frame-rail brace is modified.

The problem is that the OE battery was side terminal only and the positive top post on a Group 75/86 DT battery is too close to that brace and can ground on it. That causes a huge short and possibly a battery explosion.

There are a variety of "bubba-DIY":bash fixes for this and I've seen most of them...taking a hack saw to the positive top post, wrapping a rag around the brace, putting half a tennis ball over the top post, wrapping the top post with tape....none are good solutions.

The only safe solutions are 1) not using a DT battery, 2) modifying the brace for clearance (see:Extreme Battery - Corvette Product Reviews) or 3) in the case of the few gel cells which can be turned on their sides, laying the battery down, modifying the battery hold-down and changing the cable lengths.

As for 84-88 C4s, I have not personally attempted to fit a DT battery to anything earlier than 89. On cars earlier than that, it might be possible that brace is different or doesn't exist on those cars, in which case a DT battery would fit. Also, typical for 89-96 cars is a Group 75 battery. If a battery that's shorter in length were put in the C4 battery box and positioned more towards the driver's left, the positive post might be relocated to offer safe clearance. Problem with that might be that the smaller battery will be inadequate under some conditions such as cold weather or starting with an already partially-discharged battery.

I'll add that based on my experience with Optimas...today, the product (which was sold to Johnson Controls by its originator several years ago) does not have the quality it did when it first came on the market. IMO Optima is very well-marketed but is overrated quality-wise and are no better in performance or durability that some standard wet-cell batteries. If value is an issue, you're better off with a "normal" type battery, such as a Delco, Interstate, Die-Hard etc. If price is the primary factor in a battery purchase, in my experience, Costco is hard to beat for low cost and reasonable quality.

All that said, if you want the best performance and durability with price being secondary, my experience is that there's only one choice and that's the Odyssey Battery.

Up until just recently, the only Odysseys available for C4s were Group 75/86 dual-terminal units, but about 10 days ago, Odyssey introduced Group 75 and Group 78 side-terminal batteries.

I've ordered two of them for testing and will report back to the CAC using the product review section. I anticipate that these new Odysseys will perform just as well as the Group 75/86 I tested a couple years ago for the above listed review.

When ya' know lotsa' stuff, and you make a mistake, people REALLY like to point it out. It's no big deal; let 'em feel good for a while.

And sometimes when you DON'T know lots of stuff (see sig), they like to let you know about mistakes. Still ain't no big deal NOPe.

What's a big deal is how ya' handle it:
USER X said:
Yup - sure is backwards.

:duh

Ok.
You guys got me on this one...don'tcha love it?:chuckle

Let me restate...

The proper Redtop and Yellowtop Optimas are dual terminal units which do not bolt into C4s earlier than 1989 unless the left side hood-latch-mount-to-frame-rail brace is modified.

Nope, no modifications and its the "proper" 75 series battery.

The problem is that the OE battery was side terminal only and the positive top post on a Group 75/86 DT battery is too close to that brace and can ground on it. That causes a huge short and possibly a battery explosion.
There are a variety of "bubba-DIY":bash fixes for this and I've seen most of them...taking a hack saw to the positive top post, wrapping a rag around the brace, putting half a tennis ball over the top post, wrapping the top post with tape....none are good solutions..

The Optima battery should also come from the factory with Plastic insulating caps to help alleviate that very problem.

As for 84-88 C4s, I have not personally attempted to fit a DT battery to anything earlier than 89. On cars earlier than that, it might be possible that brace is different or doesn't exist on those cars, in which case a DT battery would fit.
That is a good point about a different brace...quite possibly why some people can use the DT and some cant.

All that said, if you want the best performance and durability with price being secondary, my experience is that there's only one choice and that's the Odyssey Battery.

Up until just recently, the only Odysseys available for C4s were Group 75/86 dual-terminal units, but about 10 days ago, Odyssey introduced Group 75 and Group 78 side-terminal batteries.

I've ordered two of them for testing and will report back to the CAC using the product review section. I anticipate that these new Odysseys will perform just as well as the Group 75/86 I tested a couple years ago for the above listed review.

Optima has actually sold a side post 78 series battery I mentioned quite some time ago in another thread. I saw one as a local store A&A auto and I wondered if it would fit the C4. But since mine fit I really didnt push the issue. Please let us know! Thanks!:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom